I just used Continuum for a meeting - at a Linux/Android company

mtf1380

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
Oh, and what was that USB3-C to HDMI adapter you used? I'm super interested in that now :)

Sam Not Spam, thank you for your input, I will look into that, for sure.

Regarding the set-up I USED: I found that Surface Pro 3, unlike the PRO2, is not able to power up the 13" AOK monitor, so...
I had to plug in the Surface Pro 3 and a 4-port USB3 Power Hub to the 120v outlet.

Port 1: had a USB to Ethernet adaptor (I wanted to connect to the internet on the front side of their firewall)
Port 2: 950XL (just to keep it charged, and as a back-up)
Port 3&4: power and data connection for the AOK

And because, Murphy goes EVERYWHERE I do, the first thing I was hit with during the Power-up was...A substantial Update (Damn IT).

What I have ordered and not received as of yet:
HDMI m/m coupler
wireless display adaptor
USB-3 ext cable m/f and a multi-USB 3 DC5V 2A wall charger (to power the wireless display adpt, in case the client's TV lack a usb port)
USB-A to USB-C 3.1 Cable
HDMI (3Meters) M/M extension cable
Mini DisplayPort to HDMI ADPT
Mini DispalyPort to DVI ADPT

I even ordered a couple of USB-C to Micro USB Adaptor for good measure. Plus, I already have an assortment of cables and stuff.

I used to have to use two briefcases to pack everything, but I found an inexpensive leather backpack that holds everything perfectly.

please excuse all typos - dogs are hungry, and I'm lazy.

Cheers!

Last edited:

Sam Not Spam

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
Sweet! Thanks for sharing :)

I think its best to look at having as big a toolbox as possible so you're more able to cope with curve-balls. Looks like you're getting a nice one set up for this!

While probably irrelevant for your usage, I volunteer at my church and we use a program called ProPresenter. Comes in Windows and OSX flavors, and is really meant to give an operator a way to handle a LOT of presentations. One event we helped with recently required me to have presentations from multiple people, have music, and even videos all set according to a program, but still be able to be flexible if I had to be. It started off being primarily a church-focused program, but is branching out to other types of events that might have a lot of multimedia (sports, conferences, rallies, etc). I think they have a trial, and might be useful for businesses.

My favorite practical aspect is that you can save a whole load of presentations, then make a playlist for an event. So, say you're like a friend of mine with her own training company. She can have all her classes with her, then make a playlist for that day... maybe start off with an auto-playing slide show before class, go to topic A for the first session, topic B, topic M, take a break (playing music or a video), etc. Now, I've NOT tried using this as a solo-act, where the speaker is the operator (which is how Keynote seems to be geared, plus I know PowerPoint and Open/Libre Office are perfectly capable of doing), but if you've got someone to run stuff? Its awesome. It really is.

I dislike slide design compared to Power Point, but you can import those. Not sure if all the whiz-bang features of PP make it in (I'd wager not), but overall things will look as good as you make them. Requires PowerPoint to open PowerPoint files, but can be saved natively after that.. Doesn't accept Keynote files, sadly :(

If your company does a lot of presentations, its worth looking at. Should work beautifully off your Surface - just use the mini-DP out and away you go! See if there's a demo?

Now, that said, I don't think it really works with Miracast or Airplay in terms of receiving from a device and then outputting, but again, more tools for the toolbox. And I'm sure there are other programs that will do a lot of the same stuff, which is great (think we found one or two open source ones when I was researching, but I didn't care for them as much).

Glen Palmer

Sep 22, 2015
Visit site
You all know that there is a real "presenter mode" on the new Android version of Office?
I.e. Office on Android is better for this than W10M with Office over Continuum.
Office on android cant turn into a big screen office app! Isn't that difference HUGE! :winktongue: The standalone app on mobile may be slightly better, but you've got to give it to MS for continuum.

anon(9630986)

Sep 3, 2015
Visit site
I think powerpoint has a presenter view if you used it on continuum. Indeed there are apps that can run simultaneously on the phone and on the screen, again, like powerpoint. Of course, pretty hard for MS to foresee you needing a sort of "presenter view" when using word. I guess you can let MS off the hook on this one. Lol.

Alexander Long

Feb 28, 2014
Visit site
I haven't had a chance to try Continuum, but I do remember my brother's Motorola Atrix with accompanying netbook/dock. I've seen what Ubuntu claims it wants to do for computers, tablets, and phones. And honestly? Great! The more demand for this sort of feature there is, the more it'll get done, and the faster it can evolve/improve for everyone regardless of OS. Win/Win in my opinion.

Wondering if your brother or you still have the paddock, so you can try to connect Lumia 950 to the lapdock to have it turn into a "windows" laptop.
I am curious since I was at a w10IoT meeting today and the presenter using the lapdock for atrix connected to raspberry pi on Windows 10, so I started to have the idea to do that to continuum for W10M phone.