I Love My Lumia 950 XL Thread

TheBadGuy_88

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
I wish I could get this update but my phone is sadly one of the victims of the non-update friendly phones. Right now hard reset is the only option and I'm going to wait a bit longer before I absolutely have to do that.

Did you have to reconfigure windows hello, i.e. retake the photos for it to work faster or it's just much faster after the update?

Yeah you have to redo windows hello, you have to redo a couple of things but, it's much better. It is much better though. Not because of anything new, but because everything works. And is smooth. Every 950xl owner deserves to have .29 from a hard reset. That's a much better representation of what this phone is supposed to be.

Hans Swolfs

Feb 25, 2015
Visit site
for me, coming from a Lumia 930 running every build from the Windows Insiders Fast ring, I must say the 950XL is AWESOME!

Hardware just improved on every single point : camera (never though a smartphone camera would be so important) is just SWEEEEEEET, the screen is ridiculously good, the extra screensize needs a couple of days getting used to but for sure I don't regret getting the XL, continuum works really good (even though I haven't received the display dock yet and only used it wirelessly), Windows Hello works a charm (and I keep impressing friends with that ;)).

The only major issue I have right now is that Bluetooth is pretty much useless to me because when I enable Bluetooth and I get a phonecall (paired/connected or not doesn't matter), the phone reboots after 10-15 seconds so I have BT disabled. Again, makes my Band 2 and my carkit useless :(
I hope they get a fix for this yesterday rather than tomorrow and then all will be SUPERDUPER :)

Dec 24, 2010
Visit site
I got my 950XL yesterday which replaced my tired, "pre-Denim" (thanks AT&T :angry:) Lumia 920, and after playing with the phone for over 12 hours, I am a very happy camper!

Having waited a month to get the phone, I watched or read just about every review I could find. If one bases their opinion of the phone on what the reviewers say, you'd think this phone was a complete fail. There seems to be strong anti-Microsoft bias in Internet-land these day, even among Microsoft fans.

I'm happy to report that I haven't experienced any issues I've been reading about so far and I absolutely love the phone. I'm having no issues with getting LTE service, the Glance features all work like they used to on my 920, and I finally have a phone that is running Windows 10 just like my laptop and tablet are. I think it's very cool that my phone, my PC, and my tablet now all have the same look-and-feel.

To me, the only real issue with the 950 XL, or Windows Phone in general, is that the "app-gap" is very real. However, as a Microsoft .NET developer by trade, I am seeing signs of hope that some headway is going to be made in resolving the app-gap in the not-so-distant future. Just about every developer I've met that's used Visual Studio loves it (yeah, even the Java guys love it), and now iOS and Android developers can use it. In addition, UWP (Universal Windows Platform) makes it considerably easier for a developer to make one application that will work on all Windows 10 devices. I think that's huge because Windows PC's are still in the majority and so it now makes a little more sense for someone to develop a Windows 10 app because it can have a much larger audience than just a few Windows phones.

The app-gap certainly isn't going to close over night, but in the mean time, I think the 950 XL is a truly great "enthusiasts phone" and hopefully a stepping stone towards a bright mobile future for Microsoft.

Last edited:

techie1961

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I was just looking to post on how much I love my 950XL and saw this thread. Every time I use it, I am super pleased with it. The look of it, to me, is that of a premium piece of hardware. I love the flat look of the OS and how crisp and clear the display is. This phone is impressing me in nearly every way and I have confidence that updates will iron things out nicely. I realize that something of this magnitude will have issues especially when compounded with the transfer of ownership to Microsoft.

I had a 1020 for a couple of years and that was the first phone that I have kept for that long. I've tried all of them and Windows Phone is the one for me. My wife a former iPhone user now has an 830 and likes it a lot. I was worried that when my 1020 broke and I couldn't get a replacement from MS, that I wouldn't be as happy. Glad to report that I am more than happy with the 950XL.

thaman04

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Tested it out and love it! Most of the forum people's complaints are SOFTWARE related which can be fixed easily via update. The only hardware issues is the plain design (which still looks nicer than a lot of iPhones and Samsung phones) and the creak sound some users are having. Really solid device overall, don't listen to the haters.

peachy001

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Got mine today from mobilephonesdirect. The phone is actually much nicer to hold than the dummy phones in store. Screen is great, and I got a continuum dock coming too. The Lumia gifts app said no offers available for around 1hr. I assumed it was because I didn't get the phone from MS or an official supplier. I happened to go back in after loads of store updates, boom! It was there. The screen is great, hopefully my battery life will be too. Quick charge is great, does exactly what it says on the tin. Got a Mozo tan/cognac case come next week. Also ordered a tempered glass screen. My son is now a very happy boy, gets my old 920 as his first phone.

My only gripe is Here Drive won't install, and the WC is a bit flakey too.

telomoyo

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
I am one more very happy 950XL owner. This phone is amazing in many aspects. Windows 10 needs refinement, but the phone itself... just wonderful. For the first time I feel I can pull my phone out amongst IPhone and Samsung owners, and feel proud.

david90531

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
Definitely getting lots of compliments on the phone too. Mostly complimenting the beautiful screen, camera, and some think it's very cool that it works almost just like a Windows 10 PC, and of course when I tell them about continuum they're quite impressed ;)

GnarlyBone

Dec 14, 2015
Visit site
Like this phone! Been on the droid wagon for the last years and at work we got iPhone.
Think the design is nice, not over the top but very pleasing. Last windows phone I had was the Htc HD2, great design not so great windows though :)

This Lumia and windows 10 is awesomeness and I don't feel the app gap. The important apps I've found in the store and other stuff works in the browser.

Yea mine had squeaks but had some clock oil laying around, tiny drops in the lower corners wiped it down a bit and it's no more. Sure in a "premium" phone this is a no no but for me I just had to try fixing it. Love the phone to much not to! Perhaps the mozo back cover will be different also.

Last edited:

thrmacho

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Guys,
I don't have Lumia 950XL, but I love this phone, specially for Windows Hello and Continuum, but I am using Windows 10 Mobile on my my Lumia 730 and my wife's Lumia 640 without having any issue.

My first Windows Phone was Lumia 800 from Nokia (before that Nokia 5800 and Nokia N8).

Only problem is Lumia 950XL is not a pocket (budget) friendly phone, but I would love to have one if anyone one willing to buy it for me. :winktongue::winktongue:

david90531

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
Guys,
I don't have Lumia 950XL, but I love this phone, specially for Windows Hello and Continuum, but I am using Windows 10 Mobile on my my Lumia 730 and my wife's Lumia 640 without having any issue.

My first Windows Phone was Lumia 800 from Nokia (before that Nokia 5800 and Nokia N8).

Only problem is Lumia 950XL is not a pocket (budget) friendly phone, but I would love to have one if anyone one willing to buy it for me. :winktongue::winktongue:

Wow, a fellow ex-5800 user! I loved that phone back then...it was killer with so many cool things going on!
Yes, 950XL is not priced correctly I think, but I'm willing to use up my savings for a phone that I've waited wayy too long for, and for its awesome specs, it's worth it.

ukod

Dec 16, 2015
Visit site
Took the gamble a while back and thought I would test the water with a windows phone, ended up picking the Blu Win HD LTE off Amazon. I was aware of the app situation before hand but in all honesty that didn't bother me all that much. I like Microsoft, I've always used windows PC's and currently have an Acer laptop using windows 10. After seeing the old Lumia's I always wanted to invest in one, but never did and when the 950 XL was announced, I decided to take the plunge and don't regret it at all, bugs n all.

Eventually they will get ironed out and I am really enjoying what Microsoft have released so far. I cannot wait to receive my display dock and play around with continuum. The 20mp camera is a dream. I have the Red/Gold Mozo back cover on it's way which I'm looking forward to as well. I'm really a fan of Windows 10 atm and currently even looking to invest in a surface pro 3 or 4 at some point in 2016.

This 950 XL though is a dream, well worth the money I paid for it, do not regret the purchase at all.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
flynempire