I love WP7 Mango BUT Bing Maps Might Become a Deal-breaker For Me

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
I don't use it for navigation but I really like bing maps so far. It seems to lock onto my location a lot faster than my droid using Google maps. That might be due to hardware differences though.

Sent from my Windows 7 phone using Board Express

JohnMKeynes

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
I am coming from an iPhone and for the most part love the new slick user interface. I did a post about my experience on here at this post:

http://forums.windowscentral.com/windows-phone-7-os-discussion/179841.htm

However the deal-breaker for me that might get me to get another iPhone 5 is the lack of a solid Map App. I understand it's up to Google Maps to put out an application which will most likely never happen. However if Microsoft is seriously taking a run for the Search/Advertising market it desperately needs to ramp up its Bing Maps. Bing Maps is pretty atrocious as it stands now.

Just doing basic searches for gas station will a yield results miles away from your location when there is clearly one less than a mile away. I understand that ads are their business model, however don't completely remove results from searches especially when oriented in a small map location.

This become clear when I was low on gas and was in the Pasadena/Altadena area which is not a rural area in Los Angeles. I manage to get a result from Bing Maps however on my way to the gas station result I manage to find a gas station right off the freeway. The result was still pointing me further down another mile. I even tried searching for "gas station" while fueling, and still Bing Maps promptly pointed me to another gas station a mile away. This is unacceptable. I tested out the Garmin App which yielded even more gas stations much closer what Bing Maps was given me, including the gas station I was fueling.

Also use Yelp a ton for searching new places since I'm constantly driving around new areas. I also travel about every four months to new cities around the states. Yelp and Google Maps were crucial to me. Yelp was probably more important to me since it provided user reviews, and photos. I could live without the Google Maps if the Yelp app at least was up to par with iPhone and Android offering. Again I understand it's up to Yelp developers to put out a solid application, however this is probably the most important 3rd party app that needs to be supported.

I am taking a trip to NYC(not my first time) around Halloween which I will be out there for about a week. The fact that Bing Maps has performed so poorly just around Los Angeles has me nervous enough to consider going back to iPhone. Also the lack of MTA directions on Bing Maps might be just enough for me to switch back. Seriously Bing Maps is probably Windows Phone 7 biggest issue in my opinion, even more so than multitasking, and all the other features coming with Mango.

Last edited:

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I generally use a tool designed for the task at hand so for finding gas, I use Gas Buddy to find gas. Its in the market and if you need to get directions, gas buddy will get you there. I can't tell you how to do what you do, but in a recent trip to Cali, WP7 was my road dog. Got to to new restaurants, places to find electronics and whatever I needed.

Now, in full disclosure I'm running Mango and that might be the difference I'm seeing vs what you might encounter with WP7. I would be the first to tell you to find another solution if I thought WP7 couldn't get it done. It does, in spades.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Just doing basic searches for gas station will a yield results miles away from your location when there is clearly one less than a mile away. I understand that ads are their business model, however don't completely remove results from searches especially when oriented in a small map location.

I did a basic search for "gas" and it found everything, even the ones up the street. In fact, I don't think I've ever had Bing Maps fail on me. However, if Bing Maps is giving you too much trouble I would suggest waiting till Mango and seeing if the update improves the map feature for you.

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
thats funny!!

my g-f has the freaking GALAXI S II and i got lost going to drop her off at some STUPID BBQ on the other side of the freaking world........ Google maps was sucking chunks... not finding the address or taking 10min to update.

i got fed up .. took out my WP7 and got the the freaking BBQ in 5 min LMAO!!!! ( after a 45min while goose chase of wrong turns and slow map updates. )

i actually like the BING maps MORE then Google maps.

i find google map is getting laggy and less responsive cause of all the useless add ons they keep putting on it.

buttom line is ... I INT NEVER EVER USING GOOGLE MAPS AGAIN!! ( on my phone )

Diamondx_8

May 18, 2011
Visit site
People use maps for many different purposes. On the PC, I prefer Bing maps for two reasons:

1. The satellite shots are newer and clearer and zooming in.
2. You can rotate the Bird's Eye view.

Have not experienced either on a smartphone or for looking for retail locations via GPS. So I can't comment on the differences there. Google Maps does allow you to be more creative when making custom maps by allowing different color/style push pins. Haven't figured out how to do that in Bing Maps yet.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I used Bing Maps Saturday, and it's pretty ****ing lousy. It doesn't give turn by turn directions. So when I look at my phone the screen said "Turn around, you are going the wrong way, tap screen for new directions." :/

Last edited:

Pronk

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
I use Bingle maps from the Marketplace. I absolutely hate the Bing Maps default to satellite view when on maximum zoom, and hate the fact you can't turn it off even more.

donnydonny#WP

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
Bing and Telenav are probably my only real complaints about WP7 and my Arrive. At the very least, the Google Search app makes up for Bing search, but there's still no real replacement for Bing Maps and Telenav. Although Google Maps was extremely slow on my Pre, it still provided the search results that I needed. Telenav is also pretty terrible. I'd say I can only use it a third or half the time that I need it. Many searches don't yield results, whereas SprintNav on my Pre worked perfectly fine with the same searches.

nyquistjack

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
Bing and Telenav are probably my only real complaints about WP7 and my Arrive. At the very least, the Google Search app makes up for Bing search, but there's still no real replacement for Bing Maps and Telenav. Although Google Maps was extremely slow on my Pre, it still provided the search results that I needed. Telenav is also pretty terrible. I'd say I can only use it a third or half the time that I need it. Many searches don't yield results, whereas SprintNav on my Pre worked perfectly fine with the same searches.

Agreed. First strike is no just type. I loved opening my keyboard, typing "quiznos" tapping "google maps" and usually the first result had the closest location, phone number and hours.

there is something offputting with the bing search. I think its the flat black and oversized text + only like 5 results per page. Just doesn't feel usable.

Pronk

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
its not like apple is coming up with their own maps system,they wouldn't even know where to begin

Actually, it's been rumoured they'll have their own maps service for a long while now so they're no longer reliant on Google. And I'm sure they'd manage to work something out OK ;)

Wyn6

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
disagree, I've had no issues finding anything I needed with the Bing search.

Same here. I've used Bing maps almost exclusively for a year. As to which is better, google or bing, I don't know. I do know that I have yet to fail to find what I was looking for with Bing maps.

The only hiccup I ever had was when I was looking for an Einstein Bros. bagels which had moved locations a year ago. The new location WAS on the map but so was the old one. I went to the old one first.

Now, I will agree that Mango's current tap-by-tap implementation isn't ideal. Whether due to license agreements or what not, let's hope Nokia's maps and turn-by-turn clear this up.

Pronk

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
Just starting??? iCloud is a really nice looking, tightly integrated setup. MS could do well to take some of those ideas and apply them to SkyDrive if they want it to be more than just their take on Dropbox.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
Just starting??? iCloud is a really nice looking, tightly integrated setup. MS could do well to take some of those ideas and apply them to SkyDrive if they want it to be more than just their take on Dropbox.

Agree, icloud does look nice.

Sent from my Windows 7 phone using Board Express

kylej1050

Jun 27, 2011
Visit site

I would love to have my SkyDrive show up in Office on my phone like it does for photos or as a shared folder on my laptop in Office. It blows having to nav to my SkyDrive on the phone and not being able to just directly save a new document. The web apps are nice and having the ability to open it in Office without having to download it, save it, then re-upload it is nice but it could be easier.

Being a student I worry about flash drive failure, hard drive crashes, or any other slew of random computer excuses people give for not having their homework so I do everything on SkyDrive.

As for Bing maps, I've never had a problem with it but I've also never been a fan of navigation. I look at a map with a route from one place to the other and follow the line making turns where the written directions tell me to. I don't like being told where to go because I never remember landmarks that way. Actually, the Bing nav is perfect for someone like me.

It searches great too. I want to find Dion's Pizza? I hit the magnifying glass, type it in, hit search, swipe once to the left. Boom, nearest Dion's Pizza. Click the name and I can call it, get directions to it, or go to the website. Easy peasy. When you call it it even holds the name in the call log so you can go back to it or save it to your contact list without having to type in the name or anything.

It is a little pickier than I like about punctuation and stuff though. Dions will turn up 0 results while Dion's will turn up all 10 of them around here.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05