I need help with changing my Microsoft password in my phone

Qaddafi

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
I want to do two step verification for my Outlook email. When I am going through the process I am told this:

If you use a Windows Phone 8 (or earlier), you need to replace the Microsoft account password on your phone with an app password. This is because some synced apps and settings (such as Mail and the Store) don't accept security codes.

I am told to go to Settings > Email & Accounts > Tap Microsoft Account > Change Password to the one displayed in the screen.

There is no option to change password, at all. I open my Microsoft Account through that method and it just give me the option to rename, what to sync, how much I should sync, etc. Nothing to do with changing password as stated by Outlook.com (from Microsoft). This is enraging me spitefully because why tell me this when the settings don't even match up, and this is from their own phone. This isn't Apple or Android's settings. This is their own and it doesn't even match. So how do I go about this? Can someone please explain this to me.

Cleveland2k

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
More than likely, you'll have to back-up, hard reset, and then restore the device from back-up after you log back into your account.

Qaddafi

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
More than likely, you'll have to back-up, hard reset, and then restore the device from back-up after you log back into your account.

So you're telling me that if I sign in for two-step verification I'm supposed to do a hard reset on my phone to be able to change the password?

Cleveland2k

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
"More than likely..." This is the second time it has ever happened to me and the first time the told me to do a hard reset but that was a long while ago on windows phone 7.

shmsnh

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
Are you using WP8 or WP8.1?

On WP8, after I enabled two-step verification and got the new password, I just had to tap on my Microsoft account and change the password. With WP8.1, the phone supports verification codes, so you will not need an app password.

prebuss

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys, just got the same problem, just changed my MS account password on the web and now I cannot find how to change it on the phone (WP8.1). When I tap on MS account it just allows me to change account name and incoming server. Tried Hayer's suggestion, it just says there is a problem with my microsoft account, please try again later. Do you really want to say I have to do a hard reset just to change the password?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kasha963