I need to disable my phone using the recovery key, where do I find that at?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
W

Windows Central Question

I reset my phone and did not trun off reset protection and I'm not sure which account I used to set it up

TPoole95

Jun 4, 2014
Visit site
Re: i need to disable my phone using the recovery key where do i find that at

I restored my Lumia 640 back to 8.1 after I got the Lumia 950 XL and I'm having the same issue. Usually when it gets to the reset protection part of setup it will have the option to choose to use the recovery key or you can hit next to just sign in with your account but now for me both ways require the key which wouldn't be an issue but when I go to the link in the post above my 640 isn't listed there so I can't get the code. I've found other people on Microsofts support sites with the same issue and so far it doesn't look like anyone has gotten it fixed. Anyone have any ideas?

coolbreeze78

Nov 11, 2004
Visit site
So I used the Windows Device restore tool on my 640. Didn't think to turn off reset protection first. On the first boot, it's asking for a key...I don't have it. When I go to https://account.microsoft.com/devices, I see it listed there but there is no "get recovery key" anywhere. I've looked for a long time, don't see it.

Am I boned here? I'd think the phone would let me enter my Microsoft username/password on the phone itself, but it just prompts for a 5-box recovery key, which I don't have.

I even tried removing the 640 thinking the recovery key would show at that time, but it says "can't remove right now" and that's it.

Nice.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
<added by moderator to have quote ability>

Please do not post just a quote with no original content. This might be seen as a "garbage" post and get deleted out of hand.

If you need your reset key the answer, the only answer, already appears in this thread above:

Click on the "Devices" tab and then the "Your devices" option on the drop down menu. Scroll to your device.

If you need a Recovery Key, the option should appear in the device listing to see the code.

If reset protection is engaged, ONLY the Microsoft Account the device is registered to can retrieve the key. Without the key there is NO way to effect a reset. This is intentional to prevent the device being used by unauthorized users.

If you are not the authorized user there is no way for you to make this device operational. Return it to the owner, turn it in to the lost and found of the location where you found it or turn it in to the police station in the area where you found it. If you purchased it, contact the seller and have them provide the key and if they cannot, then they are not the owner.

If you are the authorized uses, follow the procedure in the quote above.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
[WARN]Users... Many times now posts have been deleted from this thread for simply quoting another and having no original content.

​If you have a Question, if you have an ISSUE you want help with... PLEASE post a question. Empty posts get deleted and no one has an idea of what YOUR issue is unless you type it out.[/WARN]

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
[INFO]Since it appears that users can not refrain from simply quoting the OP with no original content added, this thread is closed. It serves no purpose if it is not read and simply becomes an echo chamber for a post that is almost a year old.

If you have an issue you need resolved, please form a complete question and include all relevant details. I would recommend you post your question in this section of the board: Ask a Question - Windows Central Forums[/INFO]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb