I rolled back Win 10 to win 7, can I install win 10 again?

rusjkit

Mar 13, 2017
Visit site
Last year I used the free upgrade to Windows 10 on my PC but at the time I could not get on with it so I rolled back to Windows 7. Now I am using W10 on a new machine so want to now install Windows 10 again on my old machine. Can I use the update again or do I have to buy the program?

davidhk129

Dec 22, 2014
Visit site
Last year I used the free upgrade to Windows 10 on my PC but at the time I could not get on with it so I rolled back to Windows 7.

Was that Win 10 activated before you rolled back to Win 7 ?
If it was, then you have the "digital license" (formerly called digital entitlement) saved at the server.
Digital License allows you to re-install the SAME edition of Windows 10 into the SAME computer any time you want and as often a you want.

Yes. You can install Win 10 again in your old machine and at no charge.

If you need the details on how to proceed, please post back.

rusjkit

Mar 13, 2017
Visit site
I suppose it was activated as I used it for a couple of weeks. I want to do a clean install and I have the Win 7 Disc but want to now use Win 10. Your help in doing this would be most welcome.
thank you:)

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
Yes. Installing via the free upgrade, and logging in creates a digital license tied to the machine.

I have like six of them for devices I no longer use lol, even ones I logged into once.

If you use the media creation tool, for the latest version of windows 10, you can boot to the usb disk, and do a clean install. It takes awhile to download and arrange the files onthe disk, but once your rolling its pretty quick as far as OS installs go. Its also all simple, and click through, very little in the way of options or need to interact (all such interaction is prior to the boot disk making, and after the windows install, so beginning and end)

https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...Fsoftware-download%2Fwindows10&token=8QeJ7qxx

This is a WAAY better method that the upgrade, as with all such in place upgrades across OS revisions, it tends to be buggy.

Only thing to make sure, is that its the same license (ie the same version of windows 10) as you installed last time, because you have to choose that when you make the disk.

Of course you know, back up any wanted files to another disk, save bookmarks, email folders and all that, if you wish (unless they are all tied to online accounts that will remember them). I'm sure you know what your doing :)

Then just jam in the usb stick, and reboot your machine to boot from it (assuming such is enabled in the BIOS, if not you may need to switch that on)

Last edited:

davidhk129

Dec 22, 2014
Visit site
I suppose it was activated as I used it for a couple of weeks. I want to do a clean install and I have the Win 7 Disc but want to now use Win 10. Your help in doing this would be most welcome.
thank you:)

Use this media Creation Tool link :
https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...Fsoftware-download%2Fwindows10&token=9c9ljYRC

Click the Down load Tool now button >
click Yes to confirm >
click Create installation media for another PC >
you will be shown the Win 10 Edition, Language and Bit-version the Tool is going to download to your computer. If it matches with the Win 10 you had before, click Next.
If it does not match, UN-check the box "Use the recommended options for this PC", click the pointers to make the correct selections > then click Next >
click ISO file >
it will start downloading the iso file to your computer >
when download is completed > RIGHT click at the iso file > click Mount > click Setup (or setup.exe) >
Installation will begin.
No product key is required.
Activation is automatic.

davidhk129

Dec 22, 2014
Visit site
To : rusjkit

I suggest that when reinstall is completed successfully, save the iso file to an external media such as DVD or USB.
It might come in handy when you need to reinstall Win 10.
You might even want to burn the iso file to a DVD or USB.
The choice is yours.

Good luck.
Please post back the result of reinstalling Windows 10 over your Win 7.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon