I should not have updated to 8.1...

Status
Not open for further replies.

grizzlyaddams

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
I use my phone for 3 main things: Texting, music, and photos. The new music and photos app are atrocities. I really despise the automatically chosen artist images in the new music app. I had previously used only high quality high definition photos from my own sources. Now they are showing low res crap in my face. Here are a list of all the gripes I found in a mere 20 minutes:

Music album live tiles stopped working
Repinned music albums now show album title text (looks ugly)
HTC app clock no longer updates on Live Tile
Photo app not displaying some photos, they show up grey where before they all displayed fine ("Can't get picture. Try again later." though picture is on SD Card)
Photo app doesn't use favorites as a album background anymore
Random reboots
Wifi spontaneously stopped working with message "Can't do this right now. Try again in a little while."
Turned off automatic app updates multiple times, did not take effect
Turned off grouping photos by date and location, did not take effect
Phone takes significantly longer to wake up
Sometimes waking the phone flashes the last screen being displayed before showing the lock screen
Games now listed in regular apps list
Games tiles no longer a live tile
Music tile no longer a live tile
Music app no longer has recently played/added
Order of music played from an artist tile is alphabetical by album instead of song title
Music app is picking it's own (Awful) artist photos, even when I had ones chosen with MPAtool alreadyhttp://forums.windowscentral.com/editpost.php?p=2465343&do=editpost
Phone is now overall much more sluggish
Cortana keeps popping up randomly

Here is the most egregious offense: Wifi is crashing every time the phone falls asleep and will not come back on. A reboot is required to get wifi working again. This is completely unacceptable. The phone is not even usable in this state!

Last edited:

ShreyansShah

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
1. some photos are not displayed which u r telling are on SD Card. plz check whether ur SD Card supported.
2. phone is indeed bit sluggish, but with the other apps. for own system like settings, videos, Hubs, etc. phone is now in fact more fluid and smooth.

grizzlyaddams

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
1. some photos are not displayed which u r telling are on SD Card. plz check whether ur SD Card supported.
2. phone is indeed bit sluggish, but with the other apps. for own system like settings, videos, Hubs, etc. phone is now in fact more fluid and smooth.

Same SD card I've always used. All my photos are on the SD card, and all were displayed properly prior to 8.1 update. Now they just appear as gray squares.

iAdrian23

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
Wifi spontaneously stopped working with message "Can't do this right now. Try again in a little while."
That's because Wi Fi is set to sleep when you lock your phone.
Check your Settings.

Noahma

Dec 25, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft amended what types of SD cards the phones are compatible with. These SD cards are a requirement for being able to install apps to them. There may be other side effects when not using one of the supported cards.

A little while ago Joe Belifore tweeted that a new Facebook and music (with live tile) app were on the way, but could not give a release date. Other complaints may be more driver and manufacture issues, which hopefully will be resolved with updated firmware from them

grizzlyaddams

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
That's because Wi Fi is set to sleep when you lock your phone.
Check your Settings.

I did and wifi sense is off and battery saver is off. There is no specific "keep wifi on while display is off" option unless you want to point me to it?

Sekyal

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Overall I like the update. Agree with OP about games tile, what happened to the nice animation of your avatar. I now hubs have gone basically but no need for the tile now. Photos lost all my favorites and camera roll is empty.

philxor

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
What phone are you using? I have been very happy with 8.1, my phone is faster with no stability issues. There is a sticky thread for issues and bugs...

gapost

Dec 1, 2004
Visit site
I'm not happy with a number of things, and you mention some. I also don't like the dual volume controls as it is more taps to make it silent. Really unhappy with the sluggish power button. Seriously thinking about using the Nokia software to take it (Icon) back to 8.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deryl McCarty