I Switched to iPhone 6 Since November '14 - My experience and some ranting

Witness

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Hi - hopefully this will be an interesting read for you. This is my experience going from the Nokia 920 to the iPhone 6. I did this because I had to buy a phone when I switched from AT&T to T-Mobile and be eligible for the ETF reimbursement. If I had to buy a phone, why not something I can easily resell? So iPhone it was - something I'm familiar to using anyways and the lesser evil compared to Google. As of this morning, I'm back to my 920 and have transferred the Band pairing back to it as well (I can finally use Cortana, text replies and Pimp my Band again!).

A little about my history in smart devices. I've owned Casio telememo watches, and their BOSS, Sharp Wizards a plenty, an HP palm computer, Apple Newton 100/120/130/2000/2100 (still have the 130 & 2100), Apple iPhone 4/6, a Psion 3 for a brief stint, Palm Pilot 3 and a V, Samsung Galaxy S3 and Windows devices from CE 1.0 all the way to what we know now today as Windows Phone 8.1 (iPaqs, palm tops, Casio something with color, HP Jornada and a bunch I forget). Like many of you, I f***ing love tiny computers, but I'll save for another thread. The bottom line is, I used a bunch of stuff and that's more than most iPhone users had.

So I had to use this iPhone 6 for at least 3 complete billing cycles to request for an unlock. I'm a bit past that, but adding phones and such on the account is a headache on TMO if you've ever dealt with them on getting an accurate bill. Here's are the pros and cons I jotted down on OneNote:

Pros
  • Any app is available
  • Crap loads of accessories available and compatibility
  • Touch ID (one of the reasons why I like iP6)
  • Voice dictation in many areas parts of the OS
  • Better MS app support (groan)
  • Better podcast playback control
  • Better podcast curating
  • Built in timer, stopwatch, flashlight, compass
  • Baked in FaceTime
  • Built in burst photo
  • Slow Mo video (another reason why I like iP6 and I made some great videos)
  • iMovie app (it's an app, but WP really needs something like this)
  • Easy voice texting

Cons
  • Fiddly OS (so inefficient)
  • Buggy OS (unstable Bluetooth especially when paired with audio + Band/Pebble
  • Unintelligent Siri - such as incoming texts via BT
  • Crap autocorrect
  • Damn you autocorrecting properly spelled words I typed
  • Camera settings set to Dummy Mode
  • No dedicated camera button and camera placement is terrible
  • Unglanceable information - poke this, see this, poke that, see that; poke, poke, poke
  • Settings for apps are not usually accessible in app
  • Lockscreen customization is terrible
  • No alphabetized apps list
  • No Back button combined with non-uniform UI makes for lots of thumbing around especially top left(!)
  • iMessage doesn't always play nice with non iMessage phones
  • Unread email count for all emails ever - not just since last check

There's more, but I kind of stopped making a list after a few weeks. The biggest thing about being an iPhone user was really the accessibility of any apps and even then there are really only a couple apps I used during that time that wasn't on WP - Amazon Music, Scotttrade, Safeway, Target Cartwheel, SquareSpace Metrics, Bit.ly and Simpsons Tapped Out. The camera features were fun, especially Slow Mo and I made some really great videos set to music with the iMovie app. There was a sense of belonging, or just being "normal" whenever I whipped out the iPhone to use and that was unsettling, yet comforting. I was part of this herd of sheep and I don't mean that completely in an insulting way. Friends were completely surprised to even see me using an iPhone - "wow, you got the gold 128GB? why not the 6+? so you finally gave up on Windows Phone?" My answers to that was I'm using it until I get it unlocked, then I'll be swapping back and forth or resell, the 6+ is ridiculously large and no WP is still the better designed OS. Being able to buy any accessory easily was nice and I even picked up a Pebble Steel. Every other company supports the iPhone which is what makes the platform so attractive - you can accessorize!

So you got accessories and the apps. If Windows Phone had that, things would be different. It's not that iOS is better, it's just that it gets 3rd party support and isn't associated with the company Microsoft which many people hate for their history or hate because bloggers and friends hate. Besides, iOS was a hit with the masses because it was a smartphone that everyone was able to use. The UI is so easy that even this here 2yo can use it - it's so simple! So simple that simpletons can use it, so let's not change things too much or make it any more complicated - the mass of users won't be able to figure it out. That's how it's successful out of the gate. Poke this, poke that - one thing at a time, even my grandma can use it! That's fine, the market needs that. I just find it funny when my iPhone using friends claim it to be the best phone/OS when they haven't used anything else and/or would be lost using anything else.

Now that I'm back on the 920, I find myself using my phone less. That's a good thing and something both iPhone and Android users may not get. I use it less because when I pick it up and go to the homescreen I immediately see the things that matters most to me: Weather in my home city/work city, phone/text notifications, next appointment, Facebook notification, unread email 3 different accounts and my list of stocks (My Stocks Portfolio app). Within a few seconds, I'm up to date and I put the phone back into my holster. I even get to see my photo tile flip randomly through my photos which sometimes brings a smile to my face when I see a particular nice picture that brings me back to that place and time. On my iPhone, I'd tap at least 6 times over the course of a minute just to see what's going on. There's no random photos as well, not even a Bing picture of the day on the lockscreen. I will also be able to enjoy how WP handles incoming texts when I'm in the car with Bluetooth - being able to have it read to me and replying. On my iPhone, you'd have to press the home button and ask Siri to read it to you - it was cumbersome enough that I only ever did it once. Finally, I'm so glad to be able to use the Windows Central app again. I actually wished there was an iOS app for it.

Well, I've walked several miles in the iOS shoes - lived in it and now I'm back to WP. It feels nice. I don't think I will miss the iPhone much, although I plan to swap back and forth. I'll see how it goes. Perhaps something terrible will happen and I suddenly long for it, to which I'll post some long rant here. I hope that doesn't happen and I hope those flagship WP10 phones comes soon. I hope you enjoyed wasting the last few minutes reading this post.

PS: You guys already do it, but spread the word an get people to try out WP. I had a friend that was finally moving on from a feature phone to a smartphone. Despite overwhelming iPhone users telling him to get an iPhone, he took my suggestion and bought an unlocked 920. The man loves it, but I did have to show him how to use it effectively. It didn't take too long as he used Windows 8 on the laptop, but damn that guy loves his 920 and especially the camera. I guess that's a +1 for WP.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Nice review. I feel exactly the same way about iOS. The incessant poking around is what drives me crazy. That and setting up the app grid to work for me the way I would like it to work.

r0st4

Mar 15, 2015
Visit site
Nice review, man! Thanks for that. One thing though... Windows Central App is available on iOS, I'm using it on my iPad ;)

With that P.S. you really hit a nail on the head. I think it's much needed and I'm proud I actually managed to turn three people in favor of WP already :D

920Walker

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
This was a good read; yes those few minutes were well spent. The statement of not needing to constantly use the phone is the most profound.

Witness

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Nice review. I feel exactly the same way about iOS. The incessant poking around is what drives me crazy. That and setting up the app grid to work for me the way I would like it to work.

The app grid. It's so cumbersome to move things around, it's ridiculous. Then when it's in a folder two pages in, you end up forgetting what's in there. I do think that's one of those legit complaints about Win 8's Start Menu is though, but then again who puts all their tiles there? Just the ones you need.

Anyways, yea. The constant poking. Same could be said about Android too. It's so nice to be home. lol

Nice review, man! Thanks for that. One thing though... Windows Central App is available on iOS, I'm using it on my iPad ;)

With that P.S. you really hit a nail on the head. I think it's much needed and I'm proud I actually managed to turn three people in favor of WP already :D

No way! Really? I did a search too! Well, thanks for that. I'll look again. The funny thing is, my home screen is littered with all the MS apps. It definitely made it easier for me to switch back.

You turned 3? Nice. It was actually 2, but the other one bought a 520 and although she liked it, it was underpowered. Things might've been different if the 630 was available at that time.

Witness

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
This was a good read; yes those few minutes were well spent. The statement of not needing to constantly use the phone is the most profound.

The funny thing about that is that a lot of my iPhone friends don't understand why anyone would ever need the Watch when it releases. I'd tell them that there is definitely value in being able to see your incoming texts, other notifications or accepting/rejecting calls on your wrist. Moreover, to even see what time it is! The modern smartphone has become the pocketwatch of yesteryears. Yet, most of them don't get it. I then tell them, they don't get it now, but I guarantee they'll be buying one when it comes out - maybe not this generation, but definitely by the second. They scoff. I scoff, because they buy anything from Apple.

Of course in good heated fun though. It's a little like discussing politics and religion, so we don't get that far into it. :grincry:

SteveNoza

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site
With the iPhone 6 having a decent sized keyboard and word suggest, I thought there may be hope for a iPhone with a good typing experience, it sounds like Apple still needs to catch up.

Byrese

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
It's funny...i don't visit Apple stores much but just came from one. When it first came out I want very impressed with the iPhone 6... Then I held one. Man it was nice. I even held a iPhone 5S which I kinda like better. Anyway...i left thing about switching for the first time ever. Partly for financial reasons as I can get one on TMO and pay monthly vs out os pocket like I currently do with unlocked ATT phones. This gives me pause.

wgrs

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
The problem of WP is still the lack of Apps. I'm not talking twitter or games, I'm talking local apps like banking, taxi, public transport and such.

To solve that and get the best of the two worlds, I suggest the following. Disclaimer: I'm an Apple guy and everything in my house is Apple - except for iPhones. I refuse to buy them for their high price.

Instead, I own a cheap Lumia 730 which competes well with iPhone6 and costs a quarter. You may also look into the 640 instead.

And I own a iPad mini 2. Cheapest model, wifi only, 16GB. I tether it to my Lumia. It is probably one of the best tablets ever made, and costs just around 300$. So the whole package, Lumia+iPad is cheaper than a single iPhone and it gives you so much more. The ipad is so light and small that it goes everywhere. The Lumia connects well to icloud (contacts, calendar), so that is no issue too.

Now I have all the good ios apps, and a big display where I need one. And for all the small tasks, phone, texting and skype, I use my Lumia. A perfect solution.

Witness

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
It's funny...i don't visit Apple stores much but just came from one. When it first came out I want very impressed with the iPhone 6... Then I held one. Man it was nice. I even held a iPhone 5S which I kinda like better. Anyway...i left thing about switching for the first time ever. Partly for financial reasons as I can get one on TMO and pay monthly vs out os pocket like I currently do with unlocked ATT phones. This gives me pause.

Well, it's June and I'm trying to make my way back to WP. I bought the Lumia 640 for $99 at Walmart in case I can't fix my L920 with the broken SIM tray. I'll try phone surgery first, then go 640 if I'm not successful. There are a few apps I may miss and the slow-mo camera, but let's see how it goes. Looks like you didn't switch yet. You may find that iPhone beauty is skin deep if you do. Then you gotta find a way to sell it to a fan/chump.

D M C

Jul 7, 2014
Visit site
I stop reading after evil Google was mention.
It's a very interesting mentality to think company as evil or angel.

It's funny though even when users are comparing WP with iOS they don't forget to insult Google.

Last edited:

dmagic17

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
Having spent some time on iOS over the last couple years, I completely agree with the OP's comments. Unfortunately, I am in a situation where my employer is forcing me to choose iPhone or Android. Would love opinions on which would be a better transition. Having switched from WP to iOS and back to iOS, the things I realized I can't live without: Glance, Un"checked" email count, Live tiles

The one thing I liked about iOS was how well the apps worked. The apps I use most frequently in WP require constant killing and restarting and even when you hold down back button to kill an app, it doesn't always kill it.

Witness

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I stop reading after evil Google was mention.
It's a very interesting mentality to think company as evil or angel.

It's funny though even when users are comparing WP with iOS they don't forget to insult Google.

Didn't take the time to read; had time to comment. haha
Anyways, when a company as a whole starts behaving collectively in a certain manner, how else can you describe it? What of Electronic Arts, Walmart or Monsanto - aren't there opinions about how they operate? It's the same thing and how do you say in one sentence that you stopped reading after the evil Google comment, then in another write that WP users forget to insult Google?

​Shoot... I fed the troll.

D M C

Jul 7, 2014
Visit site
Didn't take the time to read; had time to comment. haha
Anyways, when a company as a whole starts behaving collectively in a certain manner, how else can you describe it? What of Electronic Arts, Walmart or Monsanto - aren't there opinions about how they operate? It's the same thing and how do you say in one sentence that you stopped reading after the evil Google comment, then in another write that WP users forget to insult Google?

​Shoot... I fed the troll.

Ok, then can you tell me what evil Google is doing in WP vs iOS comparison?

When someone is giving review then he must be unbiased.
I am not interested in haters or a fans review. I commented on what I read.

Well, I generally not interested in feeding troll but I'll make an exception this time. So go ahead.

Witness

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Ok, then can you tell me what evil Google is doing in WP vs iOS comparison?
???. You've been on Win Central for a while. Are you telling me this is the first time you've ever heard Google being called evil in some form by a WP user? Well, I'll leave you to read *part of* comments around the forums, but I'll just submit to you that there are zero (save one pathetic one) Google app on WP. Then there was the whole YouTube thing. Wait, I said one. Anyways, Google supports iOS.

When someone is giving review then he must be unbiased.
I'm not a professional reviewer and don't claim to be, so I'm not bound to an unbiased reivew. Besides, the title states "my experience and some ranting." Was that not clear enough for anyone who wandered onto the thread? As Daniel Rubino often has to write in the comments to those who comment before reading the article. Read the article/review. You're one of those people.

I am not interested in haters or a fans review. I commented on what I read.
You're on Windows Central. There's nothing but fans here. Did you get lost? If you're not interested, I'm sorry I grabbed you by the scruff of your neck, shoved you down in front of the computer, forced you to click and scroll to this particular thread, then held your head to the screen, but made you read only the first few sentences.

Well, I generally not interested in feeding troll but I'll make an exception this time. So go ahead.
I don't think you know what troll means and I'm not interested in continuing this, so have a nice day... elsewhere.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss