I want to say RIP Lumia with this video :)

Jcmg62

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
We sure were onto a good thing for a while there. I just powered up my Lumia 800 and it still looks awesome :)

I guess the big question is, what fills the Lumia void? OEM's? A Surface phone? Or nothing at all...

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
Yah Nokia was different and nobody wanted different. It's just the harsh reality. They were dying even before MS and it's part of why MS decided to fund them with money and then buy them. Honestly I found most of their phones childish looking with the bright bold construction crew colours. Some were fine like the 830, 925, 930, icon, but in black. If the Market dictates anything it's that people want elegant premium looking phones. They want it to be a fashion accessory. This was one of the lumia 950/950xl's down falls. Not to mention early launch. But maybe MS planned it to be that way.

RJ Priest

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
At what point do you look to the future though? Would you consider getting the 950XL/HPx3 or hoping for a future device? I think the days of WM8.1 are really numbered. What little app store 8.1 has is going down in numbers daily.

For now, WP8.1 and my 1520 does everything I need between calls, text, facebook, and Instagram. No complaints regarding apps. Battery life is still just under 2 days between charges. Lumia cameras were super important to me until I bought a Sony a7s camera last fall. Now I'm in no hurray to upgrade as the 1520 camera is fine with me. Here's hoping that the Surface Phone will be absolutely amazing, and most importantly, no round corners / beveled corners / chamfered corners. I don't want an iPhone clone. Nokia Fabula design language was the best! With 925 / 1520 design almost as good. As of right now, Windows 10 Mobile doesn't add enough advantages for me to move beyond the beauty of Windows Phone, but I'll have to upgrade eventually.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Yah Nokia was different and nobody wanted different. It's just the harsh reality. They were dying even before MS and it's part of why MS decided to fund them with money and then buy them. Honestly I found most of their phones childish looking with the bright bold construction crew colours. Some were fine like the 830, 925, 930, icon, but in black. If the Market dictates anything it's that people want elegant premium looking phones. They want it to be a fashion accessory. This was one of the lumia 950/950xl's down falls. Not to mention early launch. But maybe MS planned it to be that way.

I think people wanted the bright colours - that was really a attention seeker and very nice to have. Just seeing dull colours everywhere makes it boring - you can have fancy names like rose gold or metallic silver but the phone still looks boring to the eye

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I think people wanted the bright colours - that was really a attention seeker and very nice to have. Just seeing dull colours everywhere makes it boring - you can have fancy names like rose gold or metallic silver but the phone still looks boring to the eye

I agree, that was one of my favorite things about having a Lumia, the colors.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Fun video. Still, it reminds me of how much damage Nokia did to the Windows Phone brand.

"But wait, Nokia was a saint! Everything is Microsoft's fault!"

Is it though? I'm not saying Microsoft doesn't share a huge portion of the blame (because obviously they do), but we easily forget just how much of an absolute mess Nokia made of Windows Phone's hardware lineup. Nokia released phones at a bizarre, and rather sporadic rate. This is a company that would release the Lumia 520, 521, 525, 530, and 535, in a little over a year. And that's not including all the other mid-high end devices they released, or their other low end 600 series. Their offerings would change dramatically from one country to the next, and even between carriers. Their naming scheme was bad for marketing. They made oddball choices like a selfie phone, phones with no FFC, and novelty phones like the 1020 (which was awesome but the wrong thing to focus on while trying to salvage your company). While other companies were streamlining their lineup, Nokia was releasing random new devices like they were still selling flip phones. Nokia, for all the good it did pushing WP to almost 4% market share, still left MS with an absolute mess of a lineup due to their rather directionless approach to selling hardware.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site

That's just it, fun things are associated with those types of colors which ironically enough is what kids toys look like, their blocks and their fun stuff. Most people don't see phones as toys. They have become a personal accessory and one that represents you as a person too. You have it with you at all times so you get one that looks elegant, fashionable and even professional. I'm not saying that you don't have the right to enjoy these types of phones. All the power to you, I myself don't mind colour but prefer more lighter pastel based colours or things like that. Rose Gold is a good example of a colour that's not too loud. Now imagine other colours in that sort of tone they may appeal to you, it's just Rose doesn't. I'm simply saying the majority of people in western culture aren't into the loud colours.

I for example like the z5 teal finish. It's not that loud but still a colour that sticks out.

Sony-Xperia-Z5.jpg

Vasil Dechkov

Apr 8, 2016
Visit site
Fun video. Still, it reminds me of how much damage Nokia did to the Windows Phone brand.

"But wait, Nokia was a saint! Everything is Microsoft's fault!"

Is it though? I'm not saying Microsoft doesn't share a huge portion of the blame (because obviously they do), but we easily forget just how much of an absolute mess Nokia made of Windows Phone's hardware lineup. Nokia released phones at a bizarre, and rather sporadic rate. This is a company that would release the Lumia 520, 521, 525, 530, and 535, in a little over a year. And that's not including all the other mid-high end devices they released, or their other low end 600 series. Their offerings would change dramatically from one country to the next, and even between carriers. Their naming scheme was bad for marketing. They made oddball choices like a selfie phone, phones with no FFC, and novelty phones like the 1020 (which was awesome but the wrong thing to focus on while trying to salvage your company). While other companies were streamlining their lineup, Nokia was releasing random new devices like they were still selling flip phones. Nokia, for all the good it did pushing WP to almost 4% market share, still left MS with an absolute mess of a lineup due to their rather directionless approach to selling hardware.

Atleast Nokia made hardware lol

Sent from mTalk on my Lumia 535.

Sport Driver

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site
Seeing this video remembered me how cool was my Lumia 820 to use when it was new. Such a nice phone and OS that wasn't perfect but I had high hopes for it. But over time it became somewhat bland, apps still weren't there. So I jumped the ship, now on Android. Hopefully Nokia goes back to making grat phones in future :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss