Icon from out of box to Windows 10 redstone?

skiboysteve

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys,

I just took advantage of the Lumia Icon for $99 sale at groupon (Grab a Lumia Icon for the lowest price we've ever seen | Windows Central) and I'm super excited to upgrade to this phone vs my existing Lumia 920. It arrives in 6 days, so I'm curious the best steps to go from out of box to latest insider release (redstone) along with all the right firmware updates (cyan, black, etc).

I have t-mobile, and I don't want to mess with that until I'm already at redstone, so... is this what I should do?
  1. Open box, don't insert SIM, power on phone and connect to wifi
  2. Connect to Microsoft account. Don't restore backup
  3. Install as many win 8.1 updates as available
  4. Setup Hey Cortana (I saw in this forum you have to set it up prior to win10)
  5. Download & run the windows 10 upgrade advisor, which should allow the phone to update to 10586.420 (production)
  6. Download Windows insider and activate release preview
  7. Install update to get to redstone
  8. Put in t-mobile sim card and configure the APN

Anything I'm missing? Anything unnecessary (could this be simpler)?

Thanks everyone!

pmhgeneral

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
I would just try first to turn it on being on WiFi don't even sign in yet let it set for a bit, you could than check for updates. My new icon few weeks ago just did it on it's own went to 10586.107 than I think the few days after is when they released 10586.420 to all icons I think this is the # but anyway I didn't do all what you said of doing, I would try this first. What a great phone bu the way.

Shamshi-Adad

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
Hey guys,

I just took advantage of the Lumia Icon for $99 sale at groupon (Grab a Lumia Icon for the lowest price we've ever seen | Windows Central) and I'm super excited to upgrade to this phone vs my existing Lumia 920. It arrives in 6 days, so I'm curious the best steps to go from out of box to latest insider release (redstone) along with all the right firmware updates (cyan, black, etc).

I have t-mobile, and I don't want to mess with that until I'm already at redstone, so... is this what I should do?
  1. Open box, don't insert SIM, power on phone and connect to wifi
  2. Connect to Microsoft account. Don't restore backup
  3. Install as many win 8.1 updates as available
  4. Setup Hey Cortana (I saw in this forum you have to set it up prior to win10)
  5. Download & run the windows 10 upgrade advisor, which should allow the phone to update to 10586.420 (production)
  6. Download Windows insider and activate release preview
  7. Install update to get to redstone
  8. Put in t-mobile sim card and configure the APN

Anything I'm missing? Anything unnecessary (could this be simpler)?

Thanks everyone!

I'm not sure but don't you need the sim activated to up to cyan, black, etc.? In other words I'm not sure whether steps 1 and 8 shouldn't be reversed.

But FOR SURE step 2 is right - DON'T RESTORE FROM A BACKUP.

Otherwise I'd do everything like you said I'd just seek clarification on steps 1 vs. 8 first.

Peace. Alan

MS Lumia ICON 929 [Win10 M Insider Preview, Redstone 14379.0]

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa