If you're unhappy with your L900...

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
If I didn't know any better I would swear I switched user names and posted that.

Excellent post, you summed up my feelings exactly.

Its funny, because rarely in other products does this happen. When a new stove or fridge or pair of Nikes comes out, the people who own "last year's model" don't suddenly flip out. The product they bought works for what they bought it for.

What if, instead of announcing WP8 wasn't coming to the Lumia, MS had announced something inconsequential, like they're updating Silverlight or something and it wouldn't effect any devices. Wouldn't people who, two weeks ago were HAPPY with their Lumia, still be happy with it?

The "app argument" is bullsh*t too - how many apps do people REALLY use on their phone? Are there going to be THAT MANY WP8 only apps that you can't get? I'd bet, if there's any, it'd be less than a handful. So you "suffer" without those apps for 6 months to a year until you can upgrade. Big whup.

It's nice to know I have a kindred spirit and another voice of reason here. :)

The sneaker analogy works for me. I feel like I got a great pair of sneakers and Nike just told me, oh, by the way, we'll be sending you some new and improved laces and an insole with an arch support in the fall, free of charge (WP 7.8)

Works for me. :cool:

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
I agree Android is a mess in terms of fragmentation.

But when ATT promises the Galaxy S2 will get the 4.0 update. Although they may be 2-4 months international updates, the software devices will eventually get the update (which is rolling out as we speak)....months behind schedule.

But Android at least gives you one major update (with phones released within past 12 months).

The Lumia 900/Titan 2/Focus 2 are all new phones less than 2-2.5 months and it will not get Windows 8.

At least when you got the Droid Razr/HTC Rezound/Galaxy s2 (back in late fall 2011) with Android 4.0 on the horizon, the manufactuers promised that upgrade path.

But as far as I am concerned, I would not recommend a Lumia 900 right now because of no Windows 8 upgrade path. It's quite ridiculous to have a phone this new not be upgradable at least one major software update.

Say what you want to say about Android. But if you buy a top of the line Android phone, you will get one major update (may 2 if you are lucky Droid X/ HTC EVO 4G both shipped with 2.1. They both got 2.2 (froyo) and 2.3 Gingerbread. Even the Galaxy S (minus the T-mobile USA Vibrant screwing it's users). All Galaxy S phones except for T-mobile's Vibrant got 2.2 and 2.3 upgrades.

Do you know what percentage of Android phones are running 4.0 at this point?

7 PERCENT. Seven. :lol:

Android's upgrade path sucks. If you can't take the one isolated incidence of the person who bought a Lumia 900 yesterday and won't get WP8 and use that the characterize the entire upgradability of Windows Phone. I guarantee the overall track record will be far better than Android.

That said, I agree with you to an extent about recommending an Lumia 900 or other Windows Phone right now.

It would depend on the the person and situation though. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it JUST because of the lack of upgradability to WP8. If a person was on a deadline and needed to buy a smartphone ASAP, it would still be on my list of recommendations. Why? Because it's not any less useful than an iPhone or an Android. Most people DON'T PERFORM A MAJOR OS UPDATE ON THEIR PHONE anyway. And it's a crap shoot whether you will get it with Android anyway.

I would recommend it, depending on the person, and with the caveat that it will be getting 7.8, but not 8. For the vast majority of users it will make no difference, there are plenty of apps.

Now, if a person could WAIT to buy a smartphone, I'd definitely tell them to wait for WP8 for obvious reasons, but not being able to update to WP8 just isn't as big of a factor as people are making it out to be. It really isn't.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Lumia 900 owners were led to believe that the partnership with Microsoft should bring some sort of exclusivity compare to other manufacturers like HTC or Samsung.

It did. There's a whole raft of exclusive apps only available on the Nokia devices.

The beta test advertising campaign is also a misinformation by down playing other competitors to show it's superiority.

No, it's called a humorous commercial. I'm sorry you took it seriously, I would think it would be pretty obvious that it was just an advertisement and clearly meant to be a tongue in cheek one at that. If anyone inferred anything serious from those ads, they aren't very bright.

Many of you are still holding on the hope that 7.8 may end up getting more because of their statements.

I don't know what you're referring to, but I don't speculate about these things. I'm expecting what I was definitively told I would get, a new start screen. Anything else I don't know about yet. As far as what I'm hoping for, I would love it if they found a way to work orientation lock and separate volume controls into 7.8. If they manage to do that, I'd be thrilled. If not, no big deal, I'll live with it.

These are all called deceptive advertising, and that's how they led Lumia 900 owners into this trap at the first place.

Nonsense. There was never a promise nor an implication that the Lumia 900 would get Windows Phone 8. Not from Microsoft, not from Nokia. Not in a press release. Not in a commercial. Not at all.

If you read rumor sites, or make assumptions on your own, that's not false advertising, that's called being foolish. Sorry.

bigkevbosky

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
Nonsense. There was never a promise nor an implication that the Lumia 900 would get Windows Phone 8. Not from Microsoft, not from Nokia. Not in a press release. Not in a commercial. Not at all.

If you read rumor sites, or make assumptions on your own, that's not false advertising, that's called being foolish. Sorry.

Exactly. On all those "beta test" commercials, and all the PR they did in places like Times Square, not ONCE did they say "and it'll be upgraded to Windows Phone 8 in the Fall !!!".

There was never a promise nor guarantee. They sold the Lumia 900 as a WP 7.5 device, and that's what they delivered.

ftap

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
Do you know what percentage of Android phones are running 4.0 at this point?

7 PERCENT. Seven. :lol:

Android's upgrade path sucks. If you can't take the one isolated incidence of the person who bought a Lumia 900 yesterday and won't get WP8 and use that the characterize the entire upgradability of Windows Phone. I guarantee the overall track record will be far better than Android.

That said, I agree with you to an extent about recommending an Lumia 900 or other Windows Phone right now.

It would depend on the the person and situation though. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it JUST because of the lack of upgradability to WP8. If a person was on a deadline and needed to buy a smartphone ASAP, it would still be on my list of recommendations. Why? Because it's not any less useful than an iPhone or an Android. Most people DON'T PERFORM A MAJOR OS UPDATE ON THEIR PHONE anyway. And it's a crap shoot whether you will get it with Android anyway.

I would recommend it, depending on the person, and with the caveat that it will be getting 7.8, but not 8. For the vast majority of users it will make no difference, there are plenty of apps.

Now, if a person could WAIT to buy a smartphone, I'd definitely tell them to wait for WP8 for obvious reasons, but not being able to update to WP8 just isn't as big of a factor as people are making it out to be. It really isn't.

I have owned all the cell phone mobile OS so can be fairly objective.

But to say most people do not update their software is an under statement and believing executives who say such things to discount consumers ability to do it themselves.

66% of iPhone users upgrades to ios 5 by Jan 2012 less than 2.5 months after ios5 was available.
More than 66% of Users Have Upgraded to iOS 5

Yes android is fragmented. But I suspected within the next 4 months most will be updated to 4.0.x (those that manufacters have promised 4.0 updates). Of course jellybean is also on the horizon but it's looking like 4.1 will be a very minor update (like 2.2 to 2.3 gingerbread)

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Just a bit of perspective. Before Mango, I could get 1st gen Windows Phones for a song on craigslist. when I would get them most didn't even have NoDo and it was obvious the seller had no clue how to upgrade. Once Mango came out, and more phones shipped with Mango, craigslist sales dried up big time, and those that were selling were asking for more. It means Mango did stick and people are happy with their phones....and they also assign a higher value to them because of their perceived utility.

That said, I was able to steal a 900 off eBay for $150 last week....deal of the year for me...tops even my $100 Titan.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
I have owned all the cell phone mobile OS so can be fairly objective.

But to say most people do not update their software is an under statement and believing executives who say such things to discount consumers ability to do it themselves.

66% of iPhone users upgrades to ios 5 by Jan 2012 less than 2.5 months after ios5 was available.
More than 66% of Users Have Upgraded to iOS 5

Yes android is fragmented. But I suspected within the next 4 months most will be updated to 4.0.x (those that manufacters have promised 4.0 updates). Of course jellybean is also on the horizon but it's looking like 4.1 will be a very minor update (like 2.2 to 2.3 gingerbread)

The minor updates to iOS are nothing like what a person would have to do to update WP 7.5 to WP 8. Believe me, it would not be for the feint of heart.

7% of Android users are on 4.0 ICS and 64% of them are on 2.3 Gingerbread. You suspect that within the next 4 months the majority will be on 4.0? That's pretty optimistic to say the least.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
The minor updates to iOS are nothing like what a person would have to do to update WP 7.5 to WP 8. Believe me, it would not be for the feint of heart.

7% of Android users are on 4.0 ICS and 64% of them are on 2.3 Gingerbread. You suspect that within the next 4 months the majority will be on 4.0? That's pretty optimistic to say the least.

Android 4.1 Jelly Bean is supposed to come out pretty soon. I wouldn't be surprised if ICS starts declining by then.

tenoclock

Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
It did. There's a whole raft of exclusive apps only available on the Nokia devices.

No, it's called a humorous commercial. I'm sorry you took it seriously, I would think it would be pretty obvious that it was just an advertisement and clearly meant to be a tongue in cheek one at that. If anyone inferred anything serious from those ads, they aren't very bright.

I don't know what you're referring to, but I don't speculate about these things. I'm expecting what I was definitively told I would get, a new start screen. Anything else I don't know about yet. As far as what I'm hoping for, I would love it if they found a way to work orientation lock and separate volume controls into 7.8. If they manage to do that, I'd be thrilled. If not, no big deal, I'll live with it.

This gonna be my last post about the issue. It's too bad you can't see the problem. I am just going to reply to the Nokia's exclusivity claim. HTC and Samsung also has their own exclusive apps, but did they claim or try to tell their customers that they have exclusive partnership with Microsoft like Nokia did? Nokia did, and all they did was having their own apps and nothing more.

I suggest you read a little bit more, perhaps start with wikipedia

False advertising - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

They don't have to "say" it, they just need to "create" the perception then people will buy into it. First thing you learn in mass communication major in college.

And a lot of people here are buying into the perception of what MS and Nokia want you to feel. Enjoy defending for them. As much as I am being the WP/Nokia fan, it's hard to be the opposite voice on this forum.

ftap

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site

Ios4 to ios5 is a major once a year update. iOS 5.0, 5.01 to iOS 5.1 is minor update.

66% updated from ios 4 to ios 5. A major update.

Android 2.0/2.1 to froyo (2.2) was a major update. 2.2 to 2.3 was a minor update.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EyeTea