I'm not a feckin' student...

bluefoam

Jul 17, 2017
Visit site
... but I chose a Surface Laptop...

All the reviews are picking at the mid and entry level devices, but I'm a creative professional, working at management level & I have very clear criteria for choosing the Surface Laptop, and I'd imagine many others do too...

I haven't had a laptop for the past 7 years... I primarily use a desktop at my desk, a nexus tablet with flexible keyboard for travelling and a communal (scruffy) laptop for presentations. My most important uses are email, opening office docs, .pdfs and images... working in Photoshop and Illustrator, as well as accessing CAD, graphic and 3d files for review, however I generally don't edit these much anymore.

Presentations are a large part of my remit, but screen size is relative... 80% of the time there's a TV or projector with a hdmi cable available, occasionally there's a wireless connection and sometimes I present from my own screen, but this is usually in casual environments, so smaller is actually better... Eg. In hotels, cafes, restaurants... Presenting ourselves well is important from the point of view of designer led appearance, but also projecting the image of success... The Surface seems to do all of these things...

It's the only laptop I found that really meets all of my needs... A Macbook was breifly considered, but our IT guys were reluctant to support it. Plus the idea of carrying a Mac in my industry is a bit of a cliche, the surface is bound to get more positive attention/respect. It's interesting to see Microsoft projecting themselves as a premium hardware brand...

I went for the top spec version, 1. Because I need it to meet or exceed my power requirements (getting an underspec'd machine would be seen as a poor business decision) 2. It offers value to the business. 3. It needs to last a few years before being replaced... If it meets my needs, while being an exquisite peice of design, then it is good value to me.

I will be immediately upgrading to 10 Pro, adding a doc to connect to a large screen and packing a mini port to hdmi dongle into my bag...

I'm looking forward to getting it in the next couple of days and am confident it'll work well for me. That's my story, just wanted to give a slightly different perspective on the rational behind using one of these. While the conversation is about targeting it at students, I'm sure there are many like me who will consider this too...

IuliaGz

Jun 19, 2017
Visit site
it is not just for students. it is also very good for professionals.
i have been at some tech conferences and i have seen there many start ups using the surface.
it is really good. i have tried one and i prefer it more over my asus tablet.
to surface u can also attach that keyboard that sometimes makes ur job a bit easier. i dont like it, but sometimes it is very useful if the normal keyboard is not available.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oliveeAria