insanely loud volume at 01/30?

mrgimpers

Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Hi everyone,

I bought the lumia 900 coming from the LG quantum wp7, and I must say I am noticing something with my volume.

With my lumia 900 at volume 01/30, text alerts and the alarm/ring tone sound as if they were at volume 30/30 on my LG quantum. It is really freaking loud. I don't even know of this is suppose to be the case.

I noticed on a couple of apps that use a volume control slider that there is absolutely no change in noticeable sound either if setting my hardware volume to 01/30 on my phone and sliding the in app volume slider to min or max.

my quantum works perfectly, and the app volume slider works too on the quantum. Anyone have any fixes or suggestions?

Mengels7

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
Mine is also like that, though aside from one guy agreeing I was mostly laughed at for suggesting this was even possible.

I've noticed it's only the case for my music though (from BOTH my PC and Zune), not system volumes.

mrgimpers

Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
It seems like it is media on my phone too that is playing loudly, such as the stock ringtones and anything with a media element. Not sure what to do about it.

mrgimpers

Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Be that the case, it also poses a programming problem.

With your lumia 900, take any app that has a volume control for music, set your phone volume to 01/30, and try turning the in app volume down. You will quickly notice there isn't any difference between 100 to 1%.

FrankieA

Dec 10, 2011
Visit site
I totally agree. Wayyyyyyy too loud volume at 1/30. And system-sounds (keyboard tapping, in-game sound effects), seem to be super quiet.

sdreamer

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
I find little difference between 1 and 5. The difference between 5 and 30 is like tiny increments, it could have been done with 10 steps instead of 30.

alaozx

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
i've been wondering the same thing on my lumia since day one. The notifications volume is really loud at 1/30. My old focus the volume worked properly from system notification to the rest of the sounds...

strawberryjamm

May 24, 2012
Visit site
Alarms are Definitely Loud!

Damn.

It's partly a relief to see that others are having this problem, where even on level 1/30 the volume of alarms is way too high. But it's also disappointing to see that there doesn't seem to be an answer to this problem. :mad:

I've always used my phone alarm as my bedside alarm clock and had a Samsung Focus until just this past weekend. Now I'm being jolted awake by my Lumia!

Hopefully there will be some kind of software/firmware update from Nokia to fix this in the near future.

-Jenni

Mio_Ray

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
The 800 had a similar bug in the previous firmware (12070). They fixed it relatively fast(12072).

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
i've been wondering the same thing on my lumia since day one. The notifications volume is really loud at 1/30. My old focus the volume worked properly from system notification to the rest of the sounds...

I always thought that my focus' volume was way loud even the vibrate was loud. I dont turn my phone off when Igo to Court which is often I put it on vibrate and when I am close to the Judge and I get an alert it would worry me that the bailiffs would take my phone. The Lumia 900 is a bit quieter on vibrate than the focus.

cluberti

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
The volume issue at even 1/30 is indeed real, although I would expect they will address it (as previously stated, the 800 had the same problem on release and that was addressed in an update).

undisputed n00b

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
For me on volume level 1-5 there is little distinction and it is the same as 10/30 on my focus, but I like the loudness of the speaker. If Nokia does do something about this I hope they let those of us who want a loud speaker to choose to keep it that way.

HappyPalm

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
I'm glad to hear this was fixed in the 800. I just got my phone today and was listening to music with iHeartRadio but was really disappointed at how loud the music was at 1/30. Hoping this gets fixed soon!

Loving my Lumia regardless!!! :)

jonathanrn

Apr 14, 2012
Visit site
Being almost a month later, any word on a firmware fix from Nokia? Does anyone know of another place, maybe more official, that we can complain? I like to have some music going at work when it's slow, but I can't get the volume low enough! I have to go from 1/30 to 30/30 way too often. Something needs to be done!

-Jonathan

ImGumby

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
i haven't had any problems with my L900 (black) but my wife has had the volume issues very loud on 01/30 L900 (blue) not that the color difference really matters, or does it?

massifheed

Aug 23, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone logged this with Nokia? It's fair to say that, although they probably know about it, if everyone affected complains on forums but only a handful of people contact Nokia, they may assume that the issue is much smaller than it is.

I have the white Lumia 900, and haven't really noticed any issues with the volume, other than when listening to music in public (waking home from work etc) the volume is too quiet.

I had that issue on my old Omnia 7, but someone over at XDA developers posted info on how to get into the diag tools and mess around with the volume.

One interesting issue that my wife has with her Lumia 800 is that the volume is generally behaving as expected, but when she plugs it in to charge the notification 'chime' is way loud, like 30/30 even though the phone is on 1/30. It makes no difference what I change, it's like it's stuck. I'm pretty sure a hard reset will clear it, but I don't want to do that for the one time a day that it happens. Strange though.

pravin27

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
mine is a different problem... while playing a song at 30/30.. if i decrease the volume to 0/30.. the volume remains the same until i change the song..

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb