Insider preview

selfxd

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone ever actually been able to get the insider preview installed? We got a firmware update and a new release build since then it it still never shows for me. :/

dorelse

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
To be honest, the last time I looked and .218 wasn't there for me on any of the rings (yesterday), I turned mine off and put it away. I've given up and am using my GS6.

Super frustrated at the mess and just going to take a break...tired of fighting an uphill battle.

charlatan1978

Dec 23, 2013
Visit site
Tried all 3
The thing is you don't have to try all 3.

Open Windows Insider app > press the ... (bottom right of screen) and click about
It will tell you 'Preview builds:' and the ring you are in.
Does it say 'release preview'?
I'm thinking perhaps the ring isn't changing.

Last edited:

dorelse

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
The thing is you don't have to try all 3.

Open Windows Insider app > press the ... (bottom right of screen) and click about
It will tell you 'Preview builds:' and the ring you are in.
Does it say 'release preview'?
I'm thinking perhaps the ring isn't changing.

Yep, I know all about the 'about' settings to review what ring I'm in...and no still not getting it. Its a MS thing with Blu devices on the Insider Preview, I have no doubt we're blocked at certain times vs. our Lumia cousins.

charlatan1978

Dec 23, 2013
Visit site
Yep, I know all about the 'about' settings to review what ring I'm in
Well sorry for asking.

Its a MS thing with Blu devices on the Insider Preview
I doubt that, I have seen other users (with Lumia phones) posting the same thing.

One fix that I have seen people use is to reset the phone using WDRT and then try the upgrade again.
You could also try the official upgrade using the 'upgrade advisor' app from WP8.1.
They are just my suggestions though.

Last edited:

dorelse

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
You're inferring a 'tone' in my response where there was none. However, we have seen the Insider ring & updates held back from our models before...so MS definitely can and does exclude models when they need to.

But in any event...I'll apparently not see the latest release. Not sure now the x150q is out, while the x150e is...eh...whatever.

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
I'm in the same boat as you guys. I got .218 finally with the "Production" ring, but I have been unable to get any build higher than that so far. I've tried every ring (slow, fast, release) with no change (verified in the about screen). I've reset the phone enough times, I've almost memorized the entire setup process and button location that I could do it blindfolded.

I have a feeling that it's either an error on MS side on the update servers, or someone may have found a show stopper error with this phone and MS is holding back the updates till a fix is found. Personally I think it's the first one.

FYI for anyone else, just wanting to get to .218 from WP8.1 here are the steps I used to finally get to it.
1. Register as an Insider (insider.microsoft.com) if you haven't already done it.
2. Make sure you have a backup image of your phone on your OneDrive account.
3. Download the "Windows Device Recovery Tool" (aka WDRT) (http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/windows-device-recovery-tool-faq) to make sure you get the newest firmware and WP8.1 SP2 (for some unknown reason my phone never got the newest firmware on it's own, but was able to get WP8.1 SP2).
4. Run the WDRT, you may have to manually select which phone you have as it doesn't always find the Blu Win HD LTE. Follow the on screen instructions.
5. Setup your phone and select the proper restore image.
6. Verify your phone and apps are updated.
7. Download the Upgrade Advisor from the app store and run it to get WM10 .164
8. Verify that all updates for the phone and apps have been installed after you get WM10
9. Download the Windows Insider app from the store.
10. Run the Insider app and select the slow ring, and let the phone reboot on it's own.
11. After reboot, go check for OS updates (it will most likely say you are current).
12. Run the insider app and now select "Production" (yes it says to "Stop Insider Preview Builds"), follow the prompts and let the phone reboot again.
13. After reboot, wait a bit, then go check for OS updates. It should find an update that will bring you to .218

Last edited:

dorelse

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
Once I went to the Production ring, yeah, mine updated to .218. I just find it odd, WM10 that is, WP 8.1 was great in that it 'just worked' day in and day out...no reboots needed, it was rock solid. WM10, I'm having to fight to keep it working...complete opposite from 8.1. Bummed about that...8.1 was something special.

selfxd

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
Downloading build 14328 now. I put myself back on production ring. Uninstalled windows insider. Restart, reinstall and bam. Yay

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss