Installed Games going from 8.1 to 10 Tech Preview

Penny_1

Apr 14, 2013
Visit site
Hi all,

I have been holding off for a while on using the Windows 10 Technical Preview simply because I have a lot of stuff installed on my computer, which is the only computer I can use to test the preview. I have most of my documents backed up and don't mind re-installing the majority of my software, but I am specifically concerned about the few PC games I have on here, which nowadays have gotten quite large. I have GTA IV, Crysis 3, and NBA 2K15 installed on this computer. NBA 2K15 was download only, and 50 gigabytes in size, so I DO NOT want to have to download that again. Other than that, I am perfectly fine with doing the upgrade and used to be the type to do periodic clean-installs anyway.

So my question to you all is if anybody here has experience upgrading from 8.1 to 10 with games already installed on their computer? Did you have to re-install the game? Did you lose your progress? If you're using Steam for any of your games, did those have to be re-installed?

I unfortunately could not find answers to these questions already on the web, so I'm turning to you. I appreciate any insights. Thank you.

Br1t

Jun 9, 2013
Visit site
It's really not a good idea on your primary computer. Create a separate partition and install it there so you can retain your 8.1 and boot into either OS.

It will save you pain later as when the preview ends you would have to wipe the drive, install 8 then upgrade to 10. The release update from 8 to 10 will be smooth so retain it just how you have it now.

Penny_1

Apr 14, 2013
Visit site
It's really not a good idea on your primary computer. Create a separate partition and install it there so you can retain your 8.1 and boot into either OS.

It will save you pain later as when the preview ends you would have to wipe the drive, install 8 then upgrade to 10. The release update from 8 to 10 will be smooth so retain it just how you have it now.

Hmm, only have about 100 GB left on this hard drive to create a separate partition. I actually want to use the tech preview on my primary computer and partition so that I can interact with it more naturally. That's the best scenario for testing/experiencing it in my opinion. I am aware of the pitfalls of this option, but again I am okay with that.

Are you sure there won't be an upgrade available from the preview to the actual release? I've heard rumors of it going both ways, but nothing definitive. Of course, going from the Consumer Preview of Windows 8 to the actual release did require a clean-install from what I remember, so there is precedent for what you said.

Penny_1

Apr 14, 2013
Visit site
Ok, so I have decided that I will move forward with the Windows 10 Tech Preview on my primary computer as there does not seem to be any lack of app compatibility between Windows 8.1 and Windows 10, and on the contrary I have not seen reports of people losing their applications. Of course, device drivers will still be the ones written for Windows 8, but I don't think that should be a problem.

This thread on the Microsoft support forums made the decision much easier for me: there will be a direct upgrade path from Windows 10 Preview to the final release.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720