Installing Windows 10 Mobile on the 640 again?

dlalonde

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
So I tried to install 1709 on my 640 through the Insider program. But it was just too slow. So I used the Windows Device Recovery Tool to go back to 8.1 and now I want to get back to the latest stable Windows 10 Mobile available for the 640. Unfortunately, neither the Windows Insider app nor the Windows Upgrade Advisor work. The fomer just says "Server Error" all the time and the latter says there's no update available.

Important to note, I had an AT&T device that I changed to T-Mobile. My date and time are set and I'm in Canada.

Can anyone help?

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Use the OTC updater. As long as your phone is capable of updating to W10M officially which you will need to check your product code or model maybe...you can download the updates through the OTC updater tool to your PC and the tool pushes them to your phone via USB cable.

dlalonde

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
Use the OTC updater. As long as your phone is capable of updating to W10M officially which you will need to check your product code or model maybe...you can download the updates through the OTC updater tool to your PC and the tool pushes them to your phone via USB cable.

Thanks! I'm getting the same error though, saying there's no update available.

Is there a product code that has a Windows 10 Mobile update available? I'm guessing T-Mobile does not?

Thanks

dlalonde

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
I just tried changing the product code to Global Swap to no avail.

Does anyone have a 640 product code (or carrier name) that has the W10m update available?

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Try the AT&T GoPhone variant. As mentioned in the other thread, mine worked.

RM-1073 - 059X0B8 - VAR NAM US ATT SL (GoPhone Prepaid)
If he debranded his from an AT&T firmware then it is not as easy to flash back to an AT&T firmware (re-brand). It's possible just would need to roll back the platform ID which most folks aren't prepared to do nor want to take the time and effort to do.

I would suggest trying one of the multivariant FWs like the one below maybe? Remember the Windows 10 mobile updates can be carrier specific and region specific depending on the device.

Model info
Phone model: Lumia 640 LTE
PackageTitle: RM-1073 VAR LTA 7R CV
Product Code: 059X153
manufacturerHardwareModel: RM-1073
Last Firmware: 02177.00000.15184.36003

Last edited:

dlalonde

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
If he debranded his from an AT&T firmware then it is not as easy to flash back to an AT&T firmware (re-brand). It's possible just would need to roll back the platform ID which most folks aren't prepared to do nor want to take the time and effort to do.

I would suggest trying one of the multivariant FWs like the one below maybe? Remember the Windows 10 mobile updates can be carrier specific and region specific depending on the device.

Model info
Phone model: Lumia 640 LTE
PackageTitle: RM-1073 VAR LTA 7R CV
Product Code: 059X153
manufacturerHardwareModel: RM-1073
Last Firmware: 02177.00000.15184.36003

Awesome! The update is downloading right now!

Thanks! :)

Mikey199

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
Same problem. Tried to unbrand my go phone 640 to tmobile. Now wont see any update from 8.1 and upgrade advisor doesnt think its compatible. Tried recovery tool but same results. Any solutions?

dlalonde

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
Same problem. Tried to unbrand my go phone 640 to tmobile. Now wont see any update from 8.1 and upgrade advisor doesnt think its compatible. Tried recovery tool but same results. Any solutions?

Redo the product code change like you did from AT&T (just the part where you change the product code in Windows Device Recovery Tool) and change it from T-Mobile to 059X153. Then check the Windows Upgrade Advisor and you'll get the initial update. Then it's through the usual Update section in settings for the rest.

dlalonde

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
I have a metro pcs unlocked 640 being used with tmobile. same issue, cant upgrade to win 10. how do you reset the product code via device recovery tool?

Do a search here or on XDA on how to debrand AT&T 640. You only need to do the part that requires the use of Fiddler to change the product code, not the rest. It's an annoying process to go through but it's quite easy to do overall.

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
Digging up an old thread... I just wanted to say:

THANK YOU!!!

I got an old MetroPCS Lumia 640 LTE and I have been struggling trying to find a way to get W10M installed. I re-flashed so many English variants that didn't work I lost track of where I was. I never thought of trying a Latin America variant. Everything is now updated and showing proper English, that I'm almost ready to dump my Android and go back to W10M (still testing minor things).

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wizzard