Interesting Thread From CNET on Samsung S8

editguy

Jun 12, 2015
Visit site
I've grown so accustomed to the excellent long battery life of the Idol 4s that I could never go back to a phone that barely makes it through the day.

PFSP

Dec 8, 2016
Visit site
He should buy an Alcatel Idol 4s with Windows 10.

$400 at Amazon for a truly carrier independent and unlocked phone.....
$288 at T-Mobile...

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
He had some great points here.

I don't agree with it as a reason not to try out the other side because there are many choices, especially ones that have better battery life over the flagship Samsung phones.

Jakoh

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
Well i think all of those reasons are stupid except 2) speed.
Having owned android devices i know this problem.
Another manufacturer, Huawei, even has a slogan for this, born fast, stays fast (through their use of analysis and diagnosis)

who knows how much this guys used his phone, batteries wear.
I would prefer my phone works with all carriers, but this is not always the case.
S8 is not a google phone, I has more features. so if you want android buy a google phone.

Chemy JMHT

VR Expert
Nov 6, 2016
Visit site
I got a lot of issues with old Samsung devices, things like burning MicroSD cards was very common (OK, maybe some were brandless) and the problem with the batteyr and getting slower each day is very common since always.

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
I agree with the article for the most part. Samsung phones are notorious for their long term slow down. I've seen it firsthand several times. They just don't last nearly as long as they should and (as much as people poked fun at the old flimsy plastic phones) it's always been a software issue. The same thing with battery life. Yes, they obviously deteriorate over time but my Lumia 830 was bought brand new right after it came out and I can still take it through a whole day no problem.
But, I mean, the article doesn't really say anything beyond "I personally won't buy a Galaxy S8." It doesn't say anything about Windows 10 Mobile, or its merits over Android. It's just someone's educated reasons as to why the S8 isn't the phone for them. I'm a little confused as to why this thread exists on Windows Central.

HM84

Jan 27, 2017
Visit site
Well i think all of those reasons are stupid except 2) speed.
Having owned android devices i know this problem.
Another manufacturer, Huawei, even has a slogan for this, born fast, stays fast (through their use of analysis and diagnosis)

who knows how much this guys used his phone, batteries wear.
I would prefer my phone works with all carriers, but this is not always the case.
S8 is not a google phone, I has more features. so if you want android buy a google phone.

The article links to another which has some reasons not to buy the Pixel, based on past experiences (almost like these two reporters were countering each others' claims). To be blunt and honest, I have heard anecdotes about every phone.

Every. Single. Phone.

Yes, even the iPhone. And you all know as well as I do how Lumias have their fair share (bootloop anyone?) of problems. In the end you have to realize that consumer electronics are not made to last very long because the perceived collateral damage is much less than that of, say, a car.

We hear about the odd plane crash to put people off flying entirely, and several stories about car crashes to make us reluctant to do anything but walk to the grocer across the road. The Note 7 incident aside, not that many stories of how a phone bug killed anyone surface in the media, do they? It was such a rarity that the media keeps bleating about it to this day. The point here being that no one is going to up their game until some major Ralph-Nader-style class action lawsuit forces them to build phones that don't explode, the way they did with major auto or big tobacco.

Until that happens, you buy the phone, enjoy the perks, deal with the problems, you buy the new one right after the warranty (or the phone) ends.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb