iPhone 5C or Nokia Lumia 1520 for my mom? (60 years old)

RN50

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Its got to be the 925, its a high end device and isn't massive either. Personally the 1520 looks massive and i doubt ur mum would want something that big.

Aldwin1999

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
1520 because it is basiclly as user friendly as the iphone OS and she will find it more ''entertaining'' because of the big 6-inch screen where she can watch videos, or look at pictures of her grandchildren or children like on facebook. The big screen also helps with seeing small stuff on the screen ;)

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
To the OP, does your mother need a phone as big as the 1520? My mom just turned 64 yesterday, but she's got a 620 that I bought her back in May. I was originally going to get her an iPhone but changed my mind after having an issue on eBay. She likes the phone and knows how to use it (she's great with tech, works with computers and has for over 35 years now). She has mentioned that the screen is a bit small, so I think maybe something like the 810 might have been better for her. Maybe as others have said, you should get your mom a 520 or even a 925.

rakesh1995

Banned
May 26, 2013
Visit site
I think she is old enuff don't give her a small phone with iPhone small front she will not be able to read anything. IMO Lumia 1520 is quit big, hand held tv if she is ok with size go for it

Bro other wise. Give her a old phone aka dump phone/ feature phone

Sent from my Uuusumm Lumia 520 using Tapatalk

blindpuppie

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
From a 64 year old guy who is digitally challenged.
Windows is an easy system. Personally I think the size may be an issue with the 1520 (which I have).
I'd look into the 920 or later 900 series. I use my 920 as back up and love it.
Keep it simple. Go to contacts for calls. Snap a picture. Text. Photos. Done. Let her get use to that and then build on it when she acquires some confidence.
Apple drove me crazy. Ya I know it's suppose to be intuitive. Windows is simple. Tap the tile, bingo. Slide right, tap the app tile. Ditto on the bingo.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
2 options mentioned I like:

The Sammy ATIV Neo would be a fine option if price is an issue. It is purely a mid-range offering and will not have all the advantages of the Nokia's, but if she just wants a simple device with a good screen that is large (4.8") but not mammoth (6.0" on the L1520) for easy to see text and commands, it might be a good option.

Also love the L925, so long as the looks are okay for her.

The L1520 is future proof, amazing, and fun. Pure awesome. If she carries a purse, the size will only be a factor if it is too big for her to manage in typing. Carrying and working the screen functions will be easier then most people think as it is a fairly thin device that is designed to be easy to hold. The battery life is a huge bonus.

The iPhone is a great product. No argument. It is easy to set up and use. I find it way to pricey for it's capabilities and would get bored of it. Also, I find it way to fragile for me. But Apple supports it's products, it is easy to find accesories, and if she is still using the phone you pictured, bells and whistles abviously mean very little to her. The screen, small to us at 4", would be a huge jump for her. It is not a bad choice.

Hope you update us on what she gets and how she likes it, even if it is the iPhone.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
If she's anything like my mom (81), get her a Jitterbug and be done with it. Seriously, she thinks a Palm Centro is too complicated.

BlackZeppelin

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
I'm not sure if this has been considered on all the replies on this thread, but how mobile is your mum? Is she still driving and getting out and about? I ask this because if she is, I think the sheer bulk of the Lumia 1520 might be a bit of a handful. HOWEVER, if your mum is mainly homebound, perhaps the phablet will be an advantage being easy to find, easy to read and navigate with the large screen. If your mum is anything like most 50 plus yr old people, the small screen and widgets of the iphone might be difficult for her.

If your mum is not overly tech savvy, then I also suggest like the other poster something like a Nokia Asher series. If she is tech savvy, more power to her, she might really enjoy playing with a nice high end phone.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99