iPhone user since 2nd gen, just switched to Lumia 920

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
It depends what's important to you.. I would rather have a phone that is easy to handle with one hand, than a larger screen..

The iPhone 5 has almost perfect dimension for one handed use (well.. the UX is not really friendly in that regard since you have to reach to the top to go back..) but overall is very comfortable and its the best balance between screen size and one hand usability.

There is only one phone that is better in that regard, and that is the Nokia N9.. the dimension are almost the same, but ergonomically the body is shaped better, and most importantly.. the UX was meant to be used with one hand.

Ya, my Lumia 800 was/is perfect. I still love that phone.

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
It depends what's important to you.. I would rather have a phone that is easy to handle with one hand, than a larger screen..

The iPhone 5 has almost perfect dimension for one handed use (well.. the UX is not really friendly in that regard since you have to reach to the top to go back..) but overall is very comfortable and its the best balance between screen size and one hand usability.

There is only one phone that is better in that regard, and that is the Nokia N9.. the dimension are almost the same, but ergonomically the body is shaped better, and most importantly.. the UX was meant to be used with one hand.

I have no problem using my Ativ S one-handed. Like I said, the iPhone is too small for me. And I'm only about 5'9. My hands aren't huge or anything, but I can't type on it in portrait. And using landscape defeats the one hand argument. (even then the iPhone keyboard is no better) I tried a Lumia 800, however, and had no issues. The WP keyboard is just that good. So I guess for the iPhone it's a two-part problem. Size + software = fail.

DaveDash

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
I agree. I thought that Nokia was cool for about a month. But then everything started to annoy me. Podcast support is a joke (no app is even close to Downcast or Instacast, lack of apps - I thought that it will not bother me, but it is really poor, and the phone is simply unreliable.

I wanted to wait for firmware upgrades because I thought that everything will improve, but after another week of wonky battery life, I ordered iPhone 5. It is boring, but it works :(

iPhone (and Mac in general) reliability is a bit of a myth.

I've had plenty of problems and aggravations with iPhones in the past, and I have used (and replaced) a lot of them:

1. Call dropouts.
2. Easily scratched before iPhone version 4. Lot's of 5's came out of the box scratched.
3. Home button on quite a lot of iPhones requires a fair bit of mashing to get to work.
4. Battery life probably the weakest out of all handsets, especially since the introduction of iMessage and iCloud services.
5. Extremely aggravating predicted text. I can't tell you how annoying this can become on iPhone, especially if you're trying to text with one hand. Android and WP predictive texting is VASTLY superior.
6. Slowdowns, brief lockups happen quite frequently.
7. Quite poor Safari performance, especially when typing in forums.
8. Apple maps.
9. Did I mention Apple maps?
10. Ton's of space mysteriously disappearing on your phone to "other".
11. Can't copy media from workstation to phone over USB. Aggravating at times.
12. Sometimes the alarm doesn't go off.

So while Apple does have a lot of content, and a lot of apps that work well, the phone itself is not without it's problems. In terms of software, iOS 5 and iOS 6 were released notoriously buggy.

People tend to gloss over these facts I find. And don't forget, despite their slick design, iPhones are made by cheap Foxcon labour like a lot of cheap consumer products.

Also my Google Nexus 7 which is barely 6 months old is starting to lock up, reboot at random, go unresponsive playing video, etc.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
On an iPhone since the 2nd gen? That is a lot of time and money invested. I have to say the 920 is a good place to start.

scubus

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site

I've had plenty of problems and aggravations with iPhones in the past, and I have used (and replaced) a lot of them:

1. Call dropouts.
2. Easily scratched before iPhone version 4. Lot's of 5's came out of the box scratched.
3. Home button on quite a lot of iPhones requires a fair bit of mashing to get to work.
4. Battery life probably the weakest out of all handsets, especially since the introduction of iMessage and iCloud services.
5. Extremely aggravating predicted text. I can't tell you how annoying this can become on iPhone, especially if you're trying to text with one hand. Android and WP predictive texting is VASTLY superior.
6. Slowdowns, brief lockups happen quite frequently.
7. Quite poor Safari performance, especially when typing in forums.
8. Apple maps.
9. Did I mention Apple maps?
10. Ton's of space mysteriously disappearing on your phone to "other".
11. Can't copy media from workstation to phone over USB. Aggravating at times.
12. Sometimes the alarm doesn't go off.

So while Apple does have a lot of content, and a lot of apps that work well, the phone itself is not without it's problems. In terms of software, iOS 5 and iOS 6 were released notoriously buggy.

People tend to gloss over these facts I find. And don't forget, despite their slick design, iPhones are made by cheap Foxcon labour like a lot of cheap consumer products.

Also my Google Nexus 7 which is barely 6 months old is starting to lock up, reboot at random, go unresponsive playing video, etc.

Having used literally hundreds of Apple products, I'm not sure I agree with many of the points made here, but if the Nokia works for you, then that is what matters.

sravanv

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Former Android user and former/current iOS user...see responses below.

1. Call dropouts. - I've had these. I blame AT&T more than my iPhone mainly because they all happened in the same areas.
2. Easily scratched before iPhone version 4. Lot's of 5's came out of the box scratched.This is true. However, my iPhone 4 never had any scratches or anything. The back glass did shatter and they replaced the entire iPhone for free.
3. Home button on quite a lot of iPhones requires a fair bit of mashing to get to work. Define quite a lot. I think you're making a mountain out of a molehill here. If it was really that much of an issue it would have had more visibility in the media such as the iphone 5 scratch issue or the purple camera tint.
4. Battery life probably the weakest out of all handsets, especially since the introduction of iMessage and iCloud services. Absolutely not true. Use some Android handsets before you say that. It's on par with WP8.
5. Extremely aggravating predicted text. I can't tell you how annoying this can become on iPhone, especially if you're trying to text with one hand. Android and WP predictive texting is VASTLY superior. WP8 has the best keyboard. iOS has the second best keyboard and it's by a hair. Autocorrect is not that bad on iOS. In fact, I can almost text just as fast on my ipad mini vs. my lumia 810. However, I don't think iOS even has predictive texting.
6. Slowdowns, brief lockups happen quite frequently. No it doesn't. At least not a significant amount.
7. Quite poor Safari performance, especially when typing in forums. No comment, I've never used safari haha, I've always used chrome.
8. Apple maps. Yeah this was terrible.
9. Did I mention Apple maps? You did.
10. Ton's of space mysteriously disappearing on your phone to "other". Errr, I think Windows 8 and WP8 has this same issue...please correct me if I'm wrong here.
11. Can't copy media from workstation to phone over USB. Aggravating at times. Yeah this is frustrating...
12. Sometimes the alarm doesn't go off. ...What? I think that's just you haha.

Also my Google Nexus 7 which is barely 6 months old is starting to lock up, reboot at random, go unresponsive playing video, etc. I've owned a Nexus device before and it only starts acting weird when I rooted it and put a ROM on it. I bought two Nexus 4s for my family and neither of them have had any issues with it...other than subpar battery life.

DaveDash

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
Former Android user and former/current iOS user...see responses below.

My point is not really to compare feature by feature iPhone to XYZ. It is to illustrate that iPhone's are not without their issues.

It doesn't really matter if you have had a flawless experience with iPhone, or a better experience with iPhone than other people, I know for a fact that I have had issues with them, and I know plenty other people who have (and Mac's in general, I spent four years working in the film industry so I have plenty of experience with Apple).

The phones themselves are in my opinion not the best phones on the market, hence the reason I swapped, after being loyal for many years. Part of it is due to iFatigue, yes, but the iPhone does have it's flaws. The former head of their software department was recently sacked, you know.

Their ecosystem however, and overall experience, is industry leading. However chinks HAVE started to appear recently (Apple maps for example), and I expect the gap WILL close as time goes on.

There simply is no "Gold Rush" at the moment when it comes to the iPhone. As someone who has interest invested in mobile development, making money off Apple's ecosystem right now is trying to be like a rock star. IF you're in the right place or the right time, you'll make it big, but 99% of people who try get nowhere.

You make money and create opportunity by being part of something that is a pioneering endeavour. Apple *was* that, but now I firmly believe it is not.

sravanv

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
My point is not really to compare feature by feature iPhone to XYZ. It is to illustrate that iPhone's are not without their issues.

It doesn't really matter if you have had a flawless experience with iPhone, or a better experience with iPhone than other people, I know for a fact that I have had issues with them, and I know plenty other people who have (and Mac's in general, I spent four years working in the film industry so I have plenty of experience with Apple).

The phones themselves are in my opinion not the best phones on the market, hence the reason I swapped, after being loyal for many years. Part of it is due to iFatigue, yes, but the iPhone does have it's flaws. The former head of their software department was recently sacked, you know.

Their ecosystem however, and overall experience, is industry leading. However chinks HAVE started to appear recently (Apple maps for example), and I expect the gap WILL close as time goes on.

There simply is no "Gold Rush" at the moment when it comes to the iPhone. As someone who has interest invested in mobile development, making money off Apple's ecosystem right now is trying to be like a rock star. IF you're in the right place or the right time, you'll make it big, but 99% of people who try get nowhere.

You make money and create opportunity by being part of something that is a pioneering endeavour. Apple *was* that, but now I firmly believe it is not.

I agree with you...iPhone is definitely not the best phone on the market. Unfortunately, it's still considered the gold standard. Yes there have been issues with the phone from a hardware perspective as well as a software perspective. It's just that it hasn't been an issue enough to warrant any media attention.

However, the following were:

Antenna issue
Camera purple tint issue (iphone 5)
Scuffed back issue (iphone 5)

I was just mentioning that, while you may have experienced you and your friends with some of the other issues you pointed out, they weren't really nationwide.

With Windows phone...so far I haven't really had any glaring issues with my L810. However, with my HTC 8x there were a few:

Random reboots
Bad battery life
Discolored corners

I also had this weird crackly bluetooth issue but nobody else really seemed to have that -> meaning that this isn't as big of an issue as the other three.

AJS_2010

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
I always had Nokia phones but swiched to Apple after the Nokia N97 let down and lack of support. Three years later, I'm just bored with IOS. Can't wait for the switch, but will keep the Iphone on PAYG. Will have the best of both worlds, me thinks.

Evan_ISS

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
As a business user I pay a lot of attention to hardware and my choice of phone was based mainly on that. Before the Lumia I had an iPhone as well.

In my opinion the Lumia 920 is the best phone (hardware wise) currently on the market and as far as I am concerned it just happens to be running WP8 (which was a pleasant surprise mind you).

As most of the apps I use are present on all platforms (bar one or two) my next phone will be the one that I think has the best hardware to meet my needs.

I like the IOS simplicity and the fact it is a complete OS (WP8 has a bit to go yet) and being a geek at heart enjoy Android and the ability it gives me to do pretty much anything I want to do with my phone.

But I can tell you this: I thoroughly enjoy having my Lumia on my desk next to me and can't imagine having either an IP5 or an S3 there. Despite the WP8 problems Nokia has done a stellar job hardware wise and it is now up to MS to pick the baton up and match the hardware quality Nokia provides with the OS that it deserves.

When that happens it is my humble opinion that the Nokia/MS combination will be a force to be reckoned with in the smartphone arena.

AJS_2010

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
Having contributed to this thread 18 month ago (moved from ip4 and was looking for a podcast app in the windows store), I have to say that I never looked back. The L920 fulfilled all my expectations and much more.Now that I am due for an upgrade, won't pick anything else than a Windows Phone. The doubt is which one. Picking the L930 now or wait for the 1020 successor early next year. Meanwhile, found the right podcast app in the Windows phone sometime ago, the Podcast Lounge. So good that I forgot all about iTunes.Cheers

Last edited: