Is 928 on Denim still running old Lumia Camera?

Penny_1

Apr 14, 2013
Visit site
I know that most of the new features of the new Lumia Camera are reserved for the 830, 930, Icon, and 1520, but I was under the impression that all devices would at least receive an updated Lumia Camera app after Denim. I'm not seeing any differences in performance, features, or processing so far on my 928.

In fact, going to the Windows Phone Store, the Lumia Camera app that shows up in the search results is the one I already have installed, and says it is best suited to work with Cyan. So are we going to get a new Lumia Camera app?

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
Not "combined" with DEMIN. But maybe in the future a update will come. But I do not think it will bring significant improvements.

EspHack

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
yea everyone is mum on details about the new lumia camera for older devices, I guess it "should" get the same improvements as the 830, faster, sharper, rich capture and fullhd moments instead of 4k, considering old high end lumias are as capable if not better than the 830's soc, specially in the GPU department, but my guess is they are releasing it as late as possible if they ever do, because you know.. it doesn't make "business sense"

I hope Microsoft doesn't keep nokia's tradition of cost cutting hardware(720p crappy FFC on current high end lumias while everyone else is on 1080p and even 1440p) and crappy software support, like "brightness profiles" only available for newer devices, huh.. how convenient

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
I know that most of the new features of the new Lumia Camera are reserved for the 830, 930, Icon, and 1520, but I was under the impression that all devices would at least receive an updated Lumia Camera app after Denim. I'm not seeing any differences in performance, features, or processing so far on my 928.

In fact, going to the Windows Phone Store, the Lumia Camera app that shows up in the search results is the one I already have installed, and says it is best suited to work with Cyan. So are we going to get a new Lumia Camera app?

If you check the version number for Lumia Camera on the 928 after running all updates, you will see it is 4.9.2.1. Just pull up the menu at the bottom of the camera main screen and choose about. That is the updated counterpart to the more advanced version for the phones you mentioned. Efforts went into performance improvements, some user enhancements, and bug fixes. To put it simply, what you see is what you get. BTW, I am not going to argue whether the performance is really improved. Some suggest yes and others don't see much improvement.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
yea everyone is mum on details about the new lumia camera for older devices, I guess it "should" get the same improvements as the 830, faster, sharper, rich capture and fullhd moments instead of 4k, considering old high end lumias are as capable if not better than the 830's soc, specially in the GPU department, but my guess is they are releasing it as late as possible if they ever do, because you know.. it doesn't make "business sense"

I hope Microsoft doesn't keep nokia's tradition of cost cutting hardware(720p crappy FFC on current high end lumias while everyone else is on 1080p and even 1440p) and crappy software support, like "brightness profiles" only available for newer devices, huh.. how convenient

Sorry but your guesses are not quite on target. They are not mum about this and the older cameras are not capable of supporting those features. The features are as dependent upon the sensor and other technology as the processor. It is a simple fact of life given the pace of technological advancement that an entry level or mid level device today may have, in some areas, more advanced features than a high end device from the start of the year. There will certainly continue to be enhancements and minor feature bumps in the non-advanced camera app but no one should expect to see an influx of the hallmark features of Lumia Camera V5. BTW, if past history proves accurate someone is either going to start a whine-fest over flagships or argue camera technology without any grasp of the facts. I will pass on those arguments. Long and short of it is the version of the app that is available is the correct version number for the counterpart to the advanced version....

Aaron Sentell

Oct 28, 2014
Visit site
I wish Verizon and Microsoft would be more forthcoming about this. Every description of Denim I've found talks about Camera 5 being one of the big improvements, and every notice of Denim being pushed to the 928 makes no reference to the fact that Camera 5 will not be included.

EspHack

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
Sorry but your guesses are not quite on target. They are not mum about this and the older cameras are not capable of supporting those features. The features are as dependent upon the sensor and other technology as the processor. It is a simple fact of life given the pace of technological advancement that an entry level or mid level device today may have, in some areas, more advanced features than a high end device from the start of the year. There will certainly continue to be enhancements and minor feature bumps in the non-advanced camera app but no one should expect to see an influx of the hallmark features of Lumia Camera V5. BTW, if past history proves accurate someone is either going to start a whine-fest over flagships or argue camera technology without any grasp of the facts. I will pass on those arguments. Long and short of it is the version of the app that is available is the correct version number for the counterpart to the advanced version....

oh dear... you really going to argue this? just say you got a brand new 830, enjoy it

Future Fossil

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
I believe only "Pure View" cameras will see any change. The 928 is too old. My Lumia Camera app seems the same. On the other hand, it looks like changes/upgrades were made to the Default Microsoft Camera app.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster