Is a good WM10 experience possible on Verizon with the HTC One M8?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

I've been browsing the forums and googling away but cannot get a definite answer that would let me confidently buy a HTC One M8. My wife has the phone and loves it, but she's not super techy so I don't want to make her phone my test bed.

Have an old Trophy whose battery is dead forcing me to upgrade. Want to stay with Verizon since I have grandfathered unlimited data and my 5 year dream of a unified anywhere online computing experience seems so close now with windows mobile 10...

IF it works. I'm assuming Verizon won't have a change of heart and surprise us with a flagship offering, but I'm hoping a M8 through the Insider program can be upgraded reliably to WM10 final once it launches and have full voice text LTE data functionality. This would give me good hardware and software for a few years as hopefully windows 10 changes the game.

Can someone Yes/No me on this? Many thanks.

Br1t

Jun 9, 2013
Visit site
Right now W10 works about as well on an M8 as any other windows phone running beta. So you will have what you need, however....As yet HTC has said and done nothing, so all the HTC apps, dot view etc. Are broken in W10 and who knows when or if that will change.

Will you be effected by the Nov15th price hike to unlimited on Verizon btw? It's supposed to be going up $20pm.

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
I've been browsing the forums and googling away but cannot get a definite answer that would let me confidently buy a HTC One M8. My wife has the phone and loves it, but she's not super techy so I don't want to make her phone my test bed.

Have an old Trophy whose battery is dead forcing me to upgrade. Want to stay with Verizon since I have grandfathered unlimited data and my 5 year dream of a unified anywhere online computing experience seems so close now with windows mobile 10...

IF it works. I'm assuming Verizon won't have a change of heart and surprise us with a flagship offering, but I'm hoping a M8 through the Insider program can be upgraded reliably to WM10 final once it launches and have full voice text LTE data functionality. This would give me good hardware and software for a few years as hopefully windows 10 changes the game.

Can someone Yes/No me on this? Many thanks.

I'd say YES & that would seem to be the optimal choice for someone who has to stay Verizon with a high end Win10Mobile. You should be able to reliably run Win10Mobile.

However, Continuum will (probably) NOT be possible with this phone, it needs a Higher version SoC (processor). (see RED above)
Verizon may have passed (pissed on) the Lumia 950 / 950XL, in lieu of the rumored Surface phone ...
OR they may be out of WinMobile, completely - depends upon which way the wind's blowing, today.

Perhaps, Gabe Aul (on Twitter) could shed some light on this subject.

ChaChaGray

Oct 29, 2015
Visit site
Hmm...all good advice/input. Thank you. I've looked my current and previous bill and there is no notification of a rate increase on the data line item I have (it's technically the original blackberry offering I think which shields me).

Very good to know about the Continuum specs - the new Lumia would be my no-brainer but I want Verizon's superior network completely unlimited. It's been 5 years of frustration with their hardware offerings.

Holy crap the Surface Phone wasn't even on my radar. That would be a massive win and the good momentum on the tablet could make this the must-have.

This is great. Game plan now is to find a way to survive (a phone that can stay on more than 5 minutes unplugged) until WM10 is final and more clarity comes on how Verizon will approach it.

ChaChaGray

Oct 29, 2015
Visit site
Well my other reply was lost. Just wanted to say thanks for the input. No I don't see any bill messages regarding a price hike. My data is actually the old blackberry plan from...6 years ago? 7? So I think I'm good. The Surface phone wasn't even on my radar and sounds like the perfect true win, and the momentum of the tablet seems to ensure it will be in demand.

I've limped along this far I guess what's a few more months? Thanks again.

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
Well my other reply was lost. Just wanted to say thanks for the input. No I don't see any bill messages regarding a price hike. My data is actually the old blackberry plan from...6 years ago? 7? So I think I'm good. The Surface phone wasn't even on my radar and sounds like the perfect true win, and the momentum of the tablet seems to ensure it will be in demand.

I've limped along this far I guess what's a few more months? Thanks again.

Unlimited data on Verizon is scheduled to increase by $20 / month on or after 11/15/2015 - per several different sources.
IF your Blackberry plan subverts that - well, good on 'ya.

Bill Berry

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site
Once I got my M8W on Straight Talk (Verizon) service, you can't beat 5GB of data for $45 a month ($42.50 with auto-refill). I don't use the Verizon apps, but do use Dropbox and One Drive. Personally, I also don't use MMS in lieu of Facebook Messenger and sometimes E-Mail. I love Verizon's service but their plans are simply too expensive and I fail to understand the logic of their so-called "smartphone access" which is $20 extra to their plans when everything else like their tablets is only $10; it should be zero.

Nicholas Maguire

May 28, 2014
Visit site
Once I got my M8W on Straight Talk (Verizon) service, you can't beat 5GB of data for $45 a month ($42.50 with auto-refill). I don't use the Verizon apps, but do use Dropbox and One Drive. Personally, I also don't use MMS in lieu of Facebook Messenger and sometimes E-Mail. I love Verizon's service but their plans are simply too expensive and I fail to understand the logic of their so-called "smartphone access" which is $20 extra to their plans when everything else like their tablets is only $10; it should be zero.

Hey, I use straight Talk and I was considering buying the Verizon HTC One M8 for Windows to use. Were you able to get MMS and everything working? This is something I've been worried about that has delayed me buying the One M8 because I've never tried a Verizon phone with Straight Talk, though I do want Verizon signal as it is stronger in my area.

Bill Berry

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site
Honestly, I don't know in regards to MMS using Straight Talk (Verizon). There is no way to configure the MMS settings, that I do know! When I had a Verizon Sim card; everything worked. I use Facebook or Facebook Messenger and recently Instagram Beta. The one bugaboo with Win10M is don't let your battery die completely; I find Win10M unstable if short of a wall charger you can't get the device to restart no matter how many times folks emphasize the volume down toggle and the volume down then up then power key and then power down sequence. It's a ridiculous problem.

Nicholas Maguire

May 28, 2014
Visit site
Honestly, I don't know in regards to MMS using Straight Talk (Verizon). There is no way to configure the MMS settings, that I do know! When I had a Verizon Sim card; everything worked. I use Facebook or Facebook Messenger and recently Instagram Beta. The one bugaboo with Win10M is don't let your battery die completely; I find Win10M unstable if short of a wall charger you can't get the device to restart no matter how many times folks emphasize the volume down toggle and the volume down then up then power key and then power down sequence. It's a ridiculous problem.

Ooh, I'm kinda scared to get the One M8 now.. I use a Lumia 640 with Windows 10 Mobile and it has been perfect. Great performance, and really not buggy at all.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I used a Verizon M8 on T-Mobile with W10 and it's nothing short of fantastic. Getting MMS is as simple as putting it into Dev Mode, sideloading RootTools.xap and performing a simple registry edit. Adding a MMS APN is hidden by default. The reg edit involves "un-hiding" the "Add MMS APN" selection in SIM settings.

Nate Silver

Dec 14, 2014
Visit site
I had zero problems with my M8 running W10. Recently switched to an Icon, but only because....well, I wanted to see how it was. Not really sure yet, but I think I prefer the Icon, but I am having a problem with random drops in cell connectivity, with no notification of a problem. Reboot fixes it, but always wonder if I've missed a call or text in the meantime!

Aaron Hersom

Jan 30, 2016
Visit site
Just installed the latest W10 build from 8.1 last night. Most of the apps look and function. 3 Issues so far;
1. Phone will not shut down completely when turning phone off.
2. Phone will turn off by itself (could be locked up).
3. Cant get camera to function.

gilnfld

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
I used a Verizon M8 on T-Mobile with W10 and it's nothing short of fantastic. Getting MMS is as simple as putting it into Dev Mode, sideloading RootTools.xap and performing a simple registry edit. Adding a MMS APN is hidden by default. The reg edit involves "un-hiding" the "Add MMS APN" selection in SIM settings.

Hi Moderator,

I sent you a PM but thought maybe I will send to group as well. I am having a similar experience with W10 on my VZW M8 - - it runs like a dream. The only thing preventing me from getting this to function as my default phone is the inability to edit the APNs for adding MMS settings with non-vzw networks. I noticed your post about reg-editting it and I am not having luck with side-loading the root.XAP file. would appreciate your help, if you are willing to help

cheers,
gs

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes