Is Acer's new laptop for 'women and casual gamers' sexist marketing or just cultural differences?

Eric Tay

Dec 4, 2014
Visit site
Cultural differences? We're from Singapore.

My wife used to rock a pearl white Fujitsu laptop running Core 2 Duo. She loved that machine. It was much lighter than my Fujitsu TabletPC at the time and the logo glowed IIRC.

When it came time to buy a gaming mouse and mechanical keyboard, she went for Bright Pink with RGB after rejecting all my recommendations. I thought it was crazy she went for a $150 Pink Razer Wireless Gaming mouse with Dock when a similar mouse was less than $80.

She also appreciates it when the advertisement mentioned the product is for women gamers. We don't find it sexist at all. Women taste and priorities are different from men, so we appreciate the differentiation by marketers.

On the flip side, I appreciate products catered specifically for men and marketers mention it in Ads. I tend to look for specs, don't like RGB and prefer black and metal for better heat dissipation. But I also like some accent colours like red stitching on car seats and accentuated colours on my PC gears. Though many of my buddies like RGB so they can tune the colour to the mood.

My understanding about Japanese women (via Nippon TV interviews) is, they take this to a different level. The product they buy must not only be functional, it must be pretty, distinctive, fashionable and assessoriseable. They appreciate quality of life features and will pay for it a bespoke experience. Sounds like my wife now.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrakeFeatherwing