Is Continuum the way MS will gain mobile market space?

pdaneophyte

Aug 2, 2007
Visit site
Why use continuum when you can use something like this?

f54ffe40b40de791efaa5f96601c0e58.jpg

53c09c2245a0fe16068ea3d46812f40c.jpg

Read more at
https://www.thurrott.com/hardware/66520/keyboard-based-pcs-offer-wistful-reminder-commodore-64

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site

I don't think you understand the purpose of one device to do everything. See, without it connected you have no screen or anything you can do on it. It's not capable of making phone calls or using mobile apps.

pdaneophyte

Aug 2, 2007
Visit site
And that is exactly the point. It is not a phone and it is not using a mobile app. If you use continuum you would still need a monitor and a mouse. Same as using this keyboard PC, but you could use windows desktop or Linux programs as you installed in it. You do not need the "cloud" to drive your programs.

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Until many households have a USB-C docking compatible monitor/mouse/keyboard setup I don't think continuum will make much of a dent.

I think MS missed a chance by not giving the Surface dock continuum support for the 950/950XL. If they did that I imagine a lot of Surface owners would have given the latest Lumias a closer look. I also hope they'll at some point offer an attractive Surface PC (all-in-one) with support for USB-C docking of a continuum phone.

Once there are more continuum compatible setups around it's going to make a lot more sense to plug in for a quick email session etc. Maybe in one or two years. (aka soon)

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
I have a 1520, I will be replacing it this year (Considering the HP) with a phone that will have Continuum but to be honest I am not 100% sure how much use I would get out of it, I have an HP desktop, A Surface Pro 3 and an HP Stream 7, I will probably get rid of the Stream and the 1520 so losing one device. They beauty of Windows 10 and I suppose other modern OS's is the built in cloud and OneDrive, so when I come home and sit at my desk and wake up my PC pretty much anything I have done/files created on the 1520 or Stream during the day have already updated to OneDrive so I can open them on the PC. OK it will be better once MS get the new OneDrive app sorted.

Whatever phone I buy, I will highly likely buy the docking cables/station, but will I use it much, not really sure.

However there are bound to be plenty of business applications for Continuum and I can think of many in the business I work for but our IT department has a real downer on WP. 1000 + PC's running 7, 0 Windows phones and no Windows based app for our services (Hopefully on way).

But if you keep it a secret and don't advertise your products, don't be surprised when people don't buy them.....................

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lucasmorth