Is it safe to use Windows insider to upgrade my Nokia Lumia 640 to Windows 10 preview build?

morgan fields

Dec 4, 2015
Visit site
Is it safe to use windows insider to upgrade my nokia lumia 640 to windows 10 preview build

I had a lumia 520 and tried it but it got bricked so im worried that this one will too.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: Is it safe to use windows insider to upgrade my nokia lumia 640 to windows 10 preview build

safe is relative.

I am very confident there will be no brickery but things can always go wrong. but I'll bet my bottom dollar you won't see much problems beyond things like needing a hard reset or bad battery life. (which CAN happen, but this whole thing is YMMV.)

rayf888

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
Re: Is it safe to use windows insider to upgrade my nokia lumia 640 to windows 10 preview build

Hmmm maybe you should get familiar with the Windows Device Recovery Tool... Just in case...

But on the bright side I have been running the insider preview on my 640XL since July and it ever brick my phone.... not yet...

TheMelonOfWater

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site

I have had many, many issues with my Lumia 1020 after upgrading it to Windows 10 so I would not recommend upgrading any time soon.
Some examples of issues I've had:
start screen "teleports" after scrolling making it hard to open apps.
project my screen no longer works
apps take twice as long to load
battery is allot worse
Cortana crashes when I search for anything (voice or typing)
Start screen tiles sometime don't load and are just invisible.
The photos app is EXTREMELY bad. When you pinch to zoom, it will take about 20 seconds before it registers.
Most of the new universal apps crash a lot except the office apps.

I've used every version of Windows Phone since 7.5 and I would have to say that Windows 10 Mobile is the worst.

prasanna moholkar

Jan 23, 2015
Visit site

Lumia 640 user please wait for few days ( may be 15 days) to release official windows 10 mobile update.

Per Bylund

Jun 11, 2014
Visit site

I'm also eager to upgrade, but as it's my daily driver I hesitate before the "official" release. So I checked with T-Mobile's support re: the Lumia 640 with their branding. Here's what they said:

"Normally we would get word in advance if an update is coming out. I just checked our database and don't see anything posted that Microsoft has contacted us. This means we haven't gotten confirmation that they are going to push it out to our phones. As far as support goes, we will always support the phone through our end but anything regarding software updates is purely manufacturer dependent. Once they let us know they want to push the update to the device we approve the update; the process does take a few months to do. *JustinS"

If this is the case - that it takes "a few months" - then I'm definitely going for the upgrade via Windows Insider. But I'll give it another few days.

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site

I'm also eager to upgrade, but as it's my daily driver I hesitate before the "official" release. So I checked with T-Mobile's support re: the Lumia 640 with their branding. Here's what they said:

"Normally we would get word in advance if an update is coming out. I just checked our database and don't see anything posted that Microsoft has contacted us. This means we haven't gotten confirmation that they are going to push it out to our phones. As far as support goes, we will always support the phone through our end but anything regarding software updates is purely manufacturer dependent. Once they let us know they want to push the update to the device we approve the update; the process does take a few months to do. *JustinS"

If this is the case - that it takes "a few months" - then I'm definitely going for the upgrade via Windows Insider. But I'll give it another few days.

Gabe said Windows 10 updates will bypass annoying carrier late. Don't ask them, they don't know nothing about softwares, systems, and apps.
That's because in a lot of countries a loto of operator blocked last imporrtand updates in the past, like Denim itself. That's a shame.

ausidog

Jan 24, 2015
Visit site
The 640 works exceptionally well with Widows 10 Mobile. Being the newest phone in the lineup as they were developing it, it almost feels like they put extra special attention on making it work well.

That being said, the official release is supposed to be soon, so you may be better off waiting a couple of weeks just in case. Unless you have a carrier branded phone (i.e. AT&T Go phone), in which case the update could be delayed, possibly for a long time.

avengerxp

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
Lumia 640 LTE user here running build 10586.29. your good to go with this build as a daily driver. As soon as the phone finishes upgrade comes to the start screen goto settings-->about -->reset. and start from scratch. don't restore from backups.

skt_diaz

Jul 10, 2015
Visit site
Lumia 640 LTE user here running build 10586.29. your good to go with this build as a daily driver. As soon as the phone finishes upgrade comes to the start screen goto settings-->about -->reset. and start from scratch. don't restore from backups.
Do mean apps and settings that get backed up in wp8.1?
I have a l640,thinking of trying out insider preview for the first time.

avengerxp

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
Yes. when you install and upgrade into windows 10 mobile, do the above hard reset. you will loose all your apps u installed (whatsapp, viber, games etc) then you will have a fresh phone, set it up and then when youre asked if you like to restore from a backup, say no. It's always better to start fresh with the new OS

jeffchapik

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site

There are still a few quirks, but it's quite acceptable as a daily driver.

Take the advice given above and do the hard reset after upgrading, then reinstall all your apps. You'll be glad you did. If you don't do it now, chances are you will do it eventually.

skt_diaz

Jul 10, 2015
Visit site
Yes. when you install and upgrade into windows 10 mobile, do the above hard reset. you will loose all your apps u installed (whatsapp, viber, games etc) then you will have a fresh phone, set it up and then when youre asked if you like to restore from a backup, say no. It's always better to start fresh with the new OS
Can i restore sms, music and photos from sd card?

skt_diaz

Jul 10, 2015
Visit site

After joining insider preview and upgrade to w10m, suppose i leave the program. Then will i be able to directly download and install the ota update directly, when it becomes available, from the technical preview? Or do i have revert back to 8.1?

Majid Maju1

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site

After joining insider preview and upgrade to w10m, suppose i leave the program. Then will i be able to directly download and install the ota update directly, when it becomes available, from the technical preview? Or do i have revert back to 8.1?

You will get official update, don't worry about that

satyamdalai

Aug 12, 2015
Visit site

Waited about 6 months for the official update, a month or 2 hardly matters. I am so waiting for the official stable ota release.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

I wanted know whether i can directly update to the official ota version from technical preview

you will probably get the official version before you realize it on Insider.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb