Is it the hardware or software?

k0de

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
Personally I think the hardware is on par with the competition. But I feel is barebones without enough dev support.

What will help MSfT get more market shares?

More OEM's great devices or more Dev's support thus more applications.

Your thoughts?

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
In my opinion, three things are missing:

- Reputable OEMs to make phones (specially now that Nokia is gone, Microsoft desperately needs to bring along LG, Sony or convince Samsung to take WP seriously);
- Developer support. They need to make WP an appealing platform for developers in a way that compensates the lack of users when compared to Android and iOS.
- COMMITMENT FROM MICROSOFT ITSELF. Seriously, how can Microsoft hope to get OEMs and developers to take WP seriously when they, themselves, always leave Windows Phone for last. Microsoft prioritizes Android and iOS versions of their services before WP. Should anyone be surprised that the likes of Samsung don't give a rats arse about WP? Of course not. Microsoft itself doesn't give it.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
In my opinion, three things are missing:

- Reputable OEMs to make phones (specially now that Nokia is gone, Microsoft desperately needs to bring along LG, Sony or convince Samsung to take WP seriously);
- Developer support. They need to make WP an appealing platform for developers in a way that compensates the lack of users when compared to Android and iOS.
- COMMITMENT FROM MICROSOFT ITSELF. Seriously, how can Microsoft hope to get OEMs and developers to take WP seriously when they, themselves, always leave Windows Phone for last. Microsoft prioritizes Android and iOS versions of their services before WP. Should anyone be surprised that the likes of Samsung don't give a rats arse about WP? Of course not. Microsoft itself doesn't give it.

You forgot public perception.
There are plenty of misinformed people.

I paraphrase a friend: "lol you can literally do nothing with windows phone"

They also have to fix it.
There are people who think my phone's (920) is pretty darn cool, have they seen it otherwise? nope. ads? nope. (ok, well they heard of the insane camera phone)

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
You forgot public perception.
There are plenty of misinformed people.

I paraphrase a friend: "lol you can literally do nothing with windows phone"

They also have to fix it.
There are people who think my phone's (920) is pretty darn cool, have they seen it otherwise? nope. ads? nope. (ok, well they heard of the insane camera phone)

That's also true. But public perception also lives a lot from word-of-mouth. And the truth is, even Windows Phone fans can't really REALLY recommend the platform to their friends when those 3 things aren't addressed.
I never ever recommend WP to anyone who, for example, uses a lot of apps. Because the apps either don't exist on WP or when they do, they are sub-par experiences.
I think once those 3 things are fixed, public perception will be better also, thanks to the word-of-mouth of WP users.

Beijendorf

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
I actually find the app selection on Windows Phone to be more than satisfactory. Sure, there are fewer official apps and there's almost always a delay from when iOS and Android get an app until Windows Phone gets it. But the apps are there, and often of good quality, much thanks to a small handful of hard-working developers which I hope Microsoft do their damnedest to show their appreciation to.

Having said that, Microsoft really need to open up far more API's for developers to use, otherwise the developers will struggle against the current when attempting to make quality apps.

Other than that, I have to agree with what you two say Xandros9 and DJCBS. Microsoft needs to increase their visibility via
- Advertisement
- Having larger OEMs build exclusive devices for Windows Phone (and market them)
- Supporting their ecosystem and its users better (Since word-of-mouth is powerful in marketing)

I'm also a bit ticked off by Microsoft's favouritism toward the US when it comes to both software and hardware releases. They should work a lot harder on ensuring their ecosystem support more than just one language and one nation.

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
I will say that I have seen more WP commercials in the last 30 days than I have seen in the past at anytime, so that is a start at least

Posted via Windows Phone Central App

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
This is what Microsoft should do (skip to where the article talks about ambassadors)

http://www.americanbazaaronline.com...ichai-launches-android-one-smartphones-india/

Heck, majority of the users here on WPCentral are Windows Phone ambassadors anyways. Now Microsoft should start making it mainstream. Appoint folks as ambassadors, pay them credits (to buy a phone or money or whatever) and let them market it, atleast here in the US

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro