Is MS pulling back on the 1520?

zkyevolved

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
Hey everyone. I have the Lumia 930 and I'm looking to upgrade (or downgrade? as it's an older device) to the 1520. The battery life is a killer. I went for a run this morning, and got back it was at 85%, and I charged it back up to 100% before going to work. 3 hours later with VERY little use and I'm at 80%... It's worrisome. If I were to travel with this phone and get lost... Ufff... battery life stinks! haha. It can get me through a NORMAL day.

Anyways, I'm trying to find the Lumia 1520 in Europe and it's hard! I can't seem to find it for a decent price! In Spain it doesn't exist. The MS store doesn't carry it. The UK says it's discontinued. Germany has a few... France has a few... But I don't see any large stocks of phones anywhere.

Is Microsoft rolling back on the 1520? They don't have ANY other large devices except the 1320, which can't compete.... Did they cancel the phone? Are they stopping production of it now for another flagship phablet? Thanks!

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I don't know, but they really need to make something to compete with the iPhone 6+. The 1520 does a great job at that but it's no longer in production or promotion.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Is there any reason to why it's no longer in production? :(
Could be the whole Nokia acquisition scenario. Since the 1520 was produced under the Nokia branding Microsoft might be replacing the 1520 with a newer phablet device this year. Plus its the manufacturing that might have been discontinued, not the support.

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I would expect Microsoft are getting ready to release a couple of good phones to go with the release of WP10. It makes a lot of sense to hold back a couple of high end phones to deliver at that point.

I'd be very worried about spending big amounts on a phone right now with WP10 around the corner, just because i'd want to guarantee the right spec for the new OS. Like if WP10 was recommended on 64bit chipsets, or with 2gb ram, or something like that.

techiez

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Hey everyone. I have the Lumia 930 and I'm looking to upgrade (or downgrade? as it's an older device) to the 1520. The battery life is a killer. I went for a run this morning, and got back it was at 85%, and I charged it back up to 100% before going to work. 3 hours later with VERY little use and I'm at 80%... It's worrisome. If I were to travel with this phone and get lost... Ufff... battery life stinks! haha. It can get me through a NORMAL day.

Anyways, I'm trying to find the Lumia 1520 in Europe and it's hard! I can't seem to find it for a decent price! In Spain it doesn't exist. The MS store doesn't carry it. The UK says it's discontinued. Germany has a few... France has a few... But I don't see any large stocks of phones anywhere.

Is Microsoft rolling back on the 1520? They don't have ANY other large devices except the 1320, which can't compete.... Did they cancel the phone? Are they stopping production of it now for another flagship phablet? Thanks!

wait until MWC for announcements of new phones.

ChrisZA

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
I had to replace my in ZA cos the phantom taps issue was insane (probably cos I sat on it once too often).
Hell, not a single operator contract nor cash retailer anywhere!! Eventually I bought it here and I'm guessing you can too:
https://store.orange.com/index/
Mine arrived on Monday when ordered Friday...not too shabby :)

clitrenta

Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
This whole thing is very disappointing. I'm using Android right now but would really like to come back to WP. I want a Flagship device but I see absolutely nothing on the horizon at all (big screen preferably). What in the name of all that is holy is Microsoft doing?

Marc Cupido 44

Oct 25, 2014
Visit site
I'm also from ZA and my 1030's screen cracked a couple of days ago. It still works but it looks like crap. Nokia care has quoted me R2500 ($200) for a repair!

I really want a new phone but there is nothing available, just low end crap and the 930.

Sometimes it feels like MS wants me to join android or iOS because they all have flagship while WP? Nothing!

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
The device is over a year old, putting it past the typical shelf life of smartphones. It is also a niche form factor, and the OD itself isn't a major seller, so it was likely not moving many units anymore (if ever). They're almost certainly gearing up for a Windows 10-based 1530 over at Microsoft, so putting money into selling a couple more 1520s is likely not their preferred strategy. We should find out the strategy in a week or so, meaning even if you COULD find a 1520, I'd think it better to wait.

Wevenhuis

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
I don't think its pulling back, but I think it has to do with the market interest. The 930 is still cheaper than the 1520, many think that the 1520 is too big. If consumer interest dwindles because of this, there is less demand and so production slows of the 1520. It's the natural cycle of things. Also microsoft is clearly advertising a different market segment, focussing more on the "mid" to "low end" lumia phones. So more production is aimed on the 435-730 lumia models. I looked in the Netherlands, but they still sell the 1520 here, although yes there are far less resellers selling them now, even compared to the 930.

Wevenhuis

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
compared to when I bought my lumia 1520 in the summer of 2014, the price has gone up a bit. So I think the lumia 1520 new, is becoming aftermarket. I think it is wiser to look for a secondhand 1520 at this point. In my opinion it is a good phone to buy now. It will probably get the windows 10 update in due time, so its future proof, and the hardware is very good and solid.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786