Is Surface 2 still worth buying?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

Hi there!

I'm just standing in front of decision whether to buy Surface 2 with Windows RT or to proceed to Lenovo Miix 2. To be honest, I really am interested in the Surface device, however I'm a little bit afraid of the system itself, probably as the most people who consider(ed) to buy this device...

To cut to the chase, with Windows 10 coming along with UWA, as well as new Skype and the other things, my thoughts are something like "Will developers still pay attention to such an ecosystem which is considered dead?" I mean, I still read "The developers has ended support of..." with possible comeback of better app (for Windows 10) or "Long-missed app is about to land in Microsoft Store," but not single a word about Windows RT.

I'd like to know the thoughts of the actual owners of this device, how are you satisfied with the currently available apps and their support. I read a lot of articles, but most of them are from the time of revealing the Surface 2 and I couldn't have found out how does the situation looks like nowadays.

Again, to tell the truth, the reason I'm not going for more "up-to-date" device is simply since I only need it for work purposes, especially handling school-related things along with several work tools (internet-based), which are really bad to work with on any device without proper keyboard and without full Windows and its functionality. Not to mention I do own a Laptop which is powerful enough for every kind of operation, but I just don't want to have it around everytime I go to school and also I don't want to spent a whole salary on it (consider I'm a student). So, that's why I'm about to decide between those two and would like to know your opinions, especially regarding Surface 2.

Thanks in advance!
Ami

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Windows RT is, as much as I hate to admit it, essentially dead now. If you're looking at Surface then the Surface 3 is a better buy at this stage as it has an x64 processor and can be upgraded to Windows 10 if you don't get one with Windows 10 pre installed.

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
Yes, Windows RT is essentially and effectively dead. HOWEVER, the Surface 2 is still worth getting provided that one keep the following in mind:

• The Surface 2 comes preloaded with MS Office RT. This is a perpetual license, not a subscription. It isn't identical to MS Office (x86) (no macros in Excel), but it is genuine Office. THAT alone is worth some money.
  • Excellent connectivity/expansion capabilities. The Surface 2 comes equipped with micro displayport, full-size USB, microSD card slot, and proprietary power connector. It has more "pro" capabilities than other companies' "pro" tablets. True dual/extended display support. Nearly full-range of support for USB devices. Using a proprietary power connector means that the USB port is free to use even when charging/powering the tablet. It also has full-range support for bluetooth devices.
  • Inexpensive. There are numerous sellers on eBay selling Surface 2 devices in mint condition at excellent prices. I bought a 32GB Surface 2, TypeCover, 32GB microSD card, and Incipio case for $120.
  • Modern UI apps, what you see is what you get. Don't plan on getting access to newer Modern UI apps. Whatever is out there now is all that there will be. Depending upon your use cases and preferences, there may be enough to get by.

Since the OP has a laptop and will be using the Surface 2 as a secondary portable device, I think it will work fine... again, as long as you keep in mind the things listed here.

I use a lot of hardware on a regular basis, including a 11" Macbook Air, 12.9" iPad Pro, iMac, and Surface 2. I continue to find great value in the Surface 2. One of my favorite uses in particular is for PowerPoint presentations... using a Targus presentation remote (with USB receiver) and micro-displayport to HDMI cable, I use it to give presentations.

Bai

Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
It is too bad that it don't have a build in GPS or else it will be a perfect for in car entertainment/gps.

I tried very hard to resist buying one, com'on MS build a w10 image for it.

Galway 77

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
I was thinking this exact same question. I wondering, a year later since this question was asked, would it still be recommend? I have a surface pro 3 already, but want something with a little smaller screen size.. something I can use on my train ride to work. I'm torn between this, and a nuvision 8 inch tablet with Windows 10, but love the design ect. of the surface...just wondering if the whole rt thing is still worth it?

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
if you're okay with it AS-IS, then go for it. I enjoyed my time with it.

But it is AS-IS. don't anticipate any further development or any additional software. there is a decent variety of software still available in the Windows Store, but mostly for the games. The utilitarian apps are lacking but there are some gems. But you essentially have to accept it for what it is.

Some advantages:

1) it does come with Microsoft Office. And this version is much better than the current mobile versions of Microsoft Office. It's practically the same as the Office 2013 desktop version. Surface 3 DOES NOT come with Office.

2) It feels faster than machines powered with Intel Atom processors. In fact, the Surface 2 can feel more responsive than the Surface 3 (I've owned both). It's not going to be fast, but it won't feel like molasses like the original Surface RT.

3) Since it's ARM, that means it can't run any X86 software including viruses, malware, etc. So you don't have to worry about becoming infected. Even iOS and Android have to worry more about it. Hackers are not wasting time and energy writing software to infect the tiny marketshare that the Surface 2 occupies. They're going to focus their efforts on writing software to infect Android, Windows, and iOS for their malware.

4) It's such a tight lightweight package. It feels so compact.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EricaFork