Is the smaller form factor dead?

stui83

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
I'm a l620 user. Prefer about a 3.7-4" screen. The announcements to date on this form factor have been bleak. Should i get my hopes up for a thin, oled, tiny bezelled premium lumia in 2014? or mini surface phone?

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
the way the markets been going, I doubt a really high end one in that area would pop up.
4.3-4.5" is probably where most midrange/ highend phones will sit now into the future

manicottiK

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
I'd like to imagine that there's still a market for smaller phones, but I don't know if sales reports prove or disprove that. (While I want such a market to exist, I must confess to having owned an HD2, Titan, 920, and now 1520, so that market's not for me personally.)

Maybe Microsoft can standardize on four sizes for phones: Small (3.75"), Medium (4.25"), Large (4.75") and Extra Large (5.25"). Above that could be two sizes of phablets (ick, I hate that portmanteau) at 5.75" and 6.25" and several tablets from 7-11".

anon(123856)

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
The smaller form factor (say around 4") works for me because I just use my phone for texts, email and calls. Occasional web browsing and gps use round it out. I think the 520 is a wee bit underpowered but I'd could be very happy with something like the 822 stuffed into that size. I realize hardware considerations my impact the size but I can live with a less than bleeding edge phone.

sumton

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
its almost dead for high end category even apple moving away from 4 inch with the latest iPhone6 4.8 inch rumor

here is another rumor posted by many sites a 4.3inch high end mini Lumia 1520:shocked:

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
One never knows! Trends have a way of coming and going. For instance, I never thought I'd see clothes in bright colours like those that were popular when I was a teenager in the 80s, but the bright coloured clothes are back. Smaller phones might make a comeback too.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
One never knows! Trends have a way of coming and going. For instance, I never thought I'd see clothes in bright colours like those that were popular when I was a teenager in the 80s, but the bright coloured clothes are back. Smaller phones might make a comeback too.

Well yes that's true. :cool: This issue with phones though is different than being a trend. It's a practicality thing. Unless humans in the future develop keener eyesight and sharper fingertips, I don't see screen sizes getting smaller unless the whole smartphone paradigm changes.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site

If 80's big hair comes back, I'm outta here..... :smile:

WPUser3

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
Well I'm thriving on that 4.3" 1520 rumor, as long as the bezel is paper thin, 1520 specs are sweet

this.

4.3" or 4.7" is a sweet spot. 4.3" would be ideal with Iphone 5s form factor using thinner bezels. Moto X perfected it with the 4.7" screen size buy using super thin bezels and slightly curved back design.

anon(123856)

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
Well yes that's true. :cool: This issue with phones though is different than being a trend. It's a practicality thing. Unless humans in the future develop keener eyesight and sharper fingertips, I don't see screen sizes getting smaller unless the whole smartphone paradigm changes.
Personally I don't find the phablet form factor very practical. I don't want to carry my phone around in a backpack... :smile: I can read my 520 just fine. I'm pretty sure I won't buy anything larger than my 822.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)