Is the Surface Studio too expensive?

Llordy

Dec 1, 2013
Visit site
I like the Surface Studio and would happily use one as an everyday desktop. But Its not really focused for the everyday Joe and the price reflects that. Its for professionals who will fully appreciated the design and functionality that the Surface Studio offers. Its not worth it from a consumer standpoint usage for emails and web, with some Office work, but it will definitely be worth it to professionals who are tired of imacs and need more.

James Falconer

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
I like the Surface Studio and would happily use one as an everyday desktop. But Its not really focused for the everyday Joe and the price reflects that. Its for professionals who will fully appreciated the design and functionality that the Surface Studio offers. Its not worth it from a consumer standpoint usage for emails and web, with some Office work, but it will definitely be worth it to professionals who are tired of imacs and need more.

True that it is definitely targeting creative professionals... but man, what a slick system to run even for everyday email and office work. I'd love to work on one! :)

grahamf

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
In one sense it's a good deal. The monitor itself can justifiably sell for $2000.

Wacom's 27" Cintiq Touch is $2700 and the pen has two mappable buttons on the side as well as tilt sensitivity. But the screen isn't as good. It's overpriced in my opinion, due to lack of decent competition.

The computer in the Surface Studio is standard fare, but its design allows it to take up such little space.

I think the entry level Surface Studio is probably priced about right. The higher end versions are over priced since the real thing that makes this computer stand out is the monitor. Charging an additional $1200 for some better specs seems a bit over the top.

I think the Surface Studio would be a better value if the monitor could be decoupled from the computer. Even if it's with a special proprietary connector that only lets it connect to MS Surface Studio systems.

I'd be much more inclined to shell out the money for one if I knew that in a few years I could buy a new Surface Studio computer by utself and plug it into my existing monitor. Even of that computer was a little over priced.

according to ifixit, it seems that the display can be relatively easy to disconnect from the gravity hinge. I think it might not be out of the realm of possibility for Microsoft to make it possible to trade in your existing system for a newer base but keep the screen.

htmiata

Dec 15, 2016
Visit site
yes it is expensive, but so was my surface pro 4 that i bought to replace my ipad pro. i wanted to use the ipad for photoshop....very poor substitute for a windows based device. so the surface studio was delivered today and that is what i am using to write this now. using the keyboard on the screen rather than the keyboard device. my wife thinks i am nuts buying this, but it is my money (she has her own money) so in that regard i will be the one to regret the purchase or not.......

Matty

Oct 7, 2015
Visit site
Simple question, is it too expensive for you? If it is, what would you have liked to have seen the price set at? (and no, don't say FREE) :p

I think for most people $3,000 is just too much to spend on a piece of tech. Unless it's on a 48 month plan. Is it worth the price even if you have billions in the bank?... definitely not but we paying for exclusivity and cutting edge tech. Which is absolutely fine since its a wonderful piece of technology but for the average joe who just wants something nice. I would recommend waiting. Maybe if it was $2,299 many more would purchase.

Llordy

Dec 1, 2013
Visit site
In one sense it's a good deal. The monitor itself can justifiably sell for $2000.

Wacom's 27" Cintiq Touch is $2700 and the pen has two mappable buttons on the side as well as tilt sensitivity. But the screen isn't as good. It's overpriced in my opinion, due to lack of decent competition.

This point is something that Microsoft could have considered already, if not they should consider it for future iterations of the Surface studio.

The computer in the Surface Studio is standard fare, but its design allows it to take up such little space.

I think the entry level Surface Studio is probably priced about right. The higher end versions are over priced since the real thing that makes this computer stand out is the monitor. Charging an additional $1200 for some better specs seems a bit over the top.

I think the Surface Studio would be a better value if the monitor could be decoupled from the computer. Even if it's with a special proprietary connector that only lets it connect to MS Surface Studio systems.

I'd be much more inclined to shell out the money for one if I knew that in a few years I could buy a new Surface Studio computer by utself and plug it into my existing monitor. Even of that computer was a little over priced.

XamlMan

Dec 12, 2016
Visit site
Hahaha! I hear all you saying how expensive it is. I'll be showing my age here, but it doesn't seem THAT long ago when a company I worked for bought a Windows server PC for $11,000!! Yes, that's right. It was a top of the line IBM computer totally loaded! It had an Intel 486 processor at 66 MHz in it and 16 Megabytes of RAM! The hard drive was huge! It had a 1 GB SCSI (sk-uh-zee) hard drive and I had to figure out how to install the second 1 GB drive in it.

So now that I put all of that in perspective for you young-ins.....do you still think this cutting edge technology workstation is still expensive for your budget?? :grincry: HAHAHA!! Oh, by the way.....that computer was bought in 1992, in case you were wondering. :wink:

Last edited:

illegaloperation

Nov 18, 2010
Visit site
It's not expensive for professional uses, but definitely expensive for hobbyist uses.

I understand development costs, but Microsoft should gradually lower the prices over time.

BadHead1970

Oct 5, 2016
Visit site
It is a beautiful piece of kit, there's no denying that. But for my, the fact that it only has USB2 ports rather than USB3 or USB3.1 or, even better, Thunderbolt 3 is a huge black mark against it. With a maximum of only 256Gb on the System drive is also bad.

The next iteration need to come with bigger OS storage and more up to date ports.

Personally, I'd like to see 500gb for the OS disk and a 1tb or 2tb SSD for the storage disk. Maybe next time.

grahamf

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
It's designed to meet the needs of it's target market, and to be the flagship for a different computer design. If people really need more powerful systems or such differences, then they are welcome to buy the HP or Dell copycats that are bound to be on their way (wait for the Dell one though - they make good displays). The original Surface spurred innovation in Windows tablets and 2-in-1s, and the Studio will be no different. By the end of 2017 I expect there will be at least a couple models from different companies (and no Apple wont be one), and by the end of 2018 there will be at least five different model lines, all with big screens that fold down (still no Apple)

Christopher Lindsay

May 8, 2014
Visit site
It's designed to meet the needs of it's target market, and to be the flagship for a different computer design. If people really need more powerful systems or such differences, then they are welcome to buy the HP or Dell copycats that are bound to be on their way (wait for the Dell one though - they make good displays). The original Surface spurred innovation in Windows tablets and 2-in-1s, and the Studio will be no different. By the end of 2017 I expect there will be at least a couple models from different companies (and no Apple wont be one), and by the end of 2018 there will be at least five different model lines, all with big screens that fold down (still no Apple)
I am its target. I'm a creator and I think it misses its mark solely because of its price. For how much they want they shouldn't have skipped out on an SSD, USB C/thunderbolt, USB 3.1, and some sort of video input. To think creatives don't want these features is insulting for a $4k aio.

digitaldd

May 16, 2016
Visit site
I heard the Surface Studio's storage systems were gimped (entry level model) and had only SATA2 drives running on a SATA3 interface and smallish m.2 SSDs. For $3000+ they should have included at the very least a 256GB m.2 SSD and the option to combine it with a SATA3 1TB drive for storage.

Also lots of people lusted after the display too bad they aren't going to sell them separate.

illegaloperation

Nov 18, 2010
Visit site
I heard the Surface Studio's storage systems were gimped (entry level model) and had only SATA2 drives running on a SATA3 interface and smallish m.2 SSDs. For $3000+ they should have included at the very least a 256GB m.2 SSD and the option to combine it with a SATA3 1TB drive for storage.

Also lots of people lusted after the display too bad they aren't going to sell them separate.

You can follow the guides on iFixit (written by yours truly) to replace the storage drives.

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Microsoft+Surface+Studio+2.5-Inch+Hard+Drive+Replacement/75605

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/M.2+SSD+Replacement/75600

If you like them, be sure to click "Give the author points!" at the end of the guides.

surfacefanboi

Jan 16, 2017
Visit site
I would have paid a bit more for a decent GPU to power that lovely screen. The fact MS have short changed on the storage (mechanical HD) I can live with but not the underpowered GPU.......roll on Surface Studio Performance base :confused:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss