Is this even legal?" A leaked pitch reveals marketing agency uses 'Active Listening' software to eavesdrop on calls and push curated Facebook and...

GraniteStateColin

May 9, 2012
Visit site
Well that's creepy. I hope I have not granted this permission to any apps, but as Kevin's article points out, many apps require mic access for core functions, making it tougher to rule out their having been given too much access.

If not already included (this may already be the standard, I'm just not sure), I'd like to see Google and Apple add some granularity to the mic and camera permissions so that there is a separate permission to limit access to only when the app is actively being used in the foreground when the screen is on. This way, only the handful of very specific voice control apps, like assistants, would actually ever be granted mic access at other times. Then, in the app description, highlight apps that will request the more advanced permissions. That would serve as a disincentive for developers to ask users to agree to additional permissions.

I'd go a step further on what I'd personally like: an option in Google Play to filter out even showing me any apps that ask for that permission.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
basanth