Is upgrade from Windows 7 OA to windows 10 free?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

I currently use Home premium OA version of Windows 7 that came pre-installed with the laptop. I am interested in windows 10 and want to use it. Is the upgrade possible? And if so, is the upgrade free in this case?

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
That is correct "OA" stands for "Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) Activation", not Enterprise. He is using Windows 7 that was preinstalled by the manufacturer of the PC he purchased.

eltonjain

Feb 2, 2015
Visit site
so would it be like Windows 10 basic or such? Or Windows 10 has only 2 segments - Home and Enterprise?
As I remember Windows 7 had a lot of variations, basic, home premium, ultimate, etc etc

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
so would it be like Windows 10 basic or such? Or Windows 10 has only 2 segments - Home and Enterprise?
As I remember Windows 7 had a lot of variations, basic, home premium, ultimate, etc etc
Windows 10 will probably have: Windows 10 (no Media Center), Windows 10 Pro (with Media Center) and Windows 10 Enterprise, like the Windows 8.1 versions. Compare Windows 8.1 editions

foozilla

Jul 31, 2015
Visit site
I have now downloaded W10 to a USB stick and running the installer. As I enter the product key as it's written on the sticker on my ASUS laptop with Win 7 Home Prem OA the installer says that the key is not a valid key. So all above is not true or did I miss something?

kind regards
Fooz

sarim_xyz

Jan 17, 2013
Visit site
I have now downloaded W10 to a USB stick and running the installer. As I enter the product key as it's written on the sticker on my ASUS laptop with Win 7 Home Prem OA the installer says that the key is not a valid key. So all above is not true or did I miss something?

kind regards
Fooz

You have to upgrade the current version of Windows to Windows 10 and activate it online before you can do a clean install. Once done, skip the part where it asks for product key. There is an option to skip it. Once you install, it'll activate itself.

Edit: The key you have is Windows 7, it will not work. No key will work.

Diego Matter

Aug 1, 2015
Visit site
I downloaded "MediaCreationToolx64.exe" from Microsoft to upgrade my laptop from Windows 7 Pro OA to Windows 10, but I only get an error message "There was a problem" with no explanation of the type of problem.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786