Is Windows Phone coming back?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adventurer64

Aug 29, 2017
Visit site
My company is moving towards Apple, so enterprise is far from a sure thing for MS. First iphones and now large scale rollout of ipads. I've seen a few mac books floating around as well. IMO thats largely due to consumer preferences influencing corporate buying decisions. Apparently, many of the SAP tasks at the plant level will now be handled with ipads. They evaluated Surfaces starting several years ago and decided to go with Apple. Back of the napkin calcs indicate my company is spending more on Apple devices than Dell PC's. Of course we still have Office 365.

sd4f

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
What are you talking about. Microsoft's strategy for the last few years is about cloud and serices. As part of this plan they finally have a winning mobile strategy, having their services available on the key platforms (Android and iOS). The success of the strategy has been demonstrated by Microsoft's financial results.

Who wants to be in the low margine mobile hardware and OS business. Not Microsoft, after losing billions in mobile they are finally being successful where it matters.

I was wondering about this a few days ago.

One thing that the tech companies all appear to be deathly afraid of, is giving up anything that they could possibly make money from. Look at apple with their new 'Apple Card', they're basically moving into banking. It makes complete sense why they have held NFC payment off their platform now.

So I sort of get the feeling that MS has learnt a huge lesson with google, who became huge by living off largely MS platform, back when it was just a website running on millions of windows machines.

There's no doubt that people at MS look at google and think, we were there, we could have easily done what they did. But since google have expanded into platforms, all in order to protect their premier product, at the time, I have a suspicion that maintaining a platform and all those costs associated are large and onerous. MS probably have strategically decided that they can leave all that work with google, and just make money offering their software on it.

That's probably what killed WP; I suspect that the strategy changed when an important metric showed that they could never make as much money with WP than doing what they're doing now. It possibly explains why they've decided to move edge onto the chromium engine.

Last edited:

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
Give me a Microsoft Mobile phone running a forked version of Android, created by MS, and I'd be interested. That's the closest you may get to Microsoft ever releasing a phone. They definitely won't release a phone running Windows anytime soon.

yuanyasmine

Feb 26, 2020
Visit site
I think the main reason is lack of “perceived” apps. Sure android has far more apps, almost all of them are crap. For example, Windows has a couple torchlight and farting apps, android has heaps of em. Who cares… people tend to be sheep as well, if their friends are using brand xxx then they will use brand xxx as well. Being better doesn’t even come into the equation. Its the same with most things, near never is the superior device the most popular. Cars definitely fall into this same category.

Elky64

Jun 2, 2017
Visit site
I think the main reason is lack of “perceived” apps. Sure android has far more apps, almost all of them are crap. For example, Windows has a couple torchlight and farting apps, android has heaps of em. Who cares… people tend to be sheep as well, if their friends are using brand xxx then they will use brand xxx as well. Being better doesn’t even come into the equation. Its the same with most things, near never is the superior device the most popular. Cars definitely fall into this same category.

Naw the perception is definitely real. People just need to look beyond the past when useless and pointless apps WERE all the rage, eons ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Happy