It's time to force MS to take us seriously

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
Agree, I love my 1520. But the issue with many of us is that MS never seems to get ahead, everytime the release an update is to caught up. Why can't they get ahead instead. 4 yrs ago we were behind, a yr ago we finally caught up but, if you check lollipop and IOS 8/8.1 we're behind again. I want MS to be ahead for one or two years and market it. If MS accomplish that, it will definitely help the platform . Reputation will go up.
I agree with you though. They are always behind and don't want to be ahead of the competition for some reason. Especially from a company like microsoft

Jorge Holguin

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
With iOS 8 they have widgets, touch id and third party keyboards over us. That's it? The third party keyboards are buggy as well. Handoff is done automatically with windows 8 and windows phone with one drive. We have live tiles on the start screen instead of widgets. Obviously with android lollipop you can see it's better but iOS 8? Really? It was so overhyped. I'm using an iPad right now. And still you use. File manager to view your files, still can't download songs or videos from the Internet without an app. Still can't even do basic things like sending files via Bluetooth. It's ridiculous.

What bugs me is the fact that MS reputation is that it's always trying to catch up. We all know the issues that came with iOS 8 but they weren't overblown by the media cause it was Apple, and Apple reacted fast with 8.1. I just want to read this headline/s MS is ahead of its competitors now the have to caught up.

Last edited:

RichardBurt

Banned
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
...But the issue with many of us is that MS never seems to get ahead

Speak for yourself please. I personally don't have a problem with the approach Microsoft are taking. You on the other hand do so why do you bother sticking with MS?

Go to Android and then you can complain when your shiny new toy gets malware on it.
Go to Apple and then you can complain because your phone is so full of apps, photos, movies and music that you don't have enough free space to install the latest update.
Go to Blackberry and then you can complain about lack of support and the disappearing userbase.

Until then enjoy what you have without whingeing about who got what piece of software first.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
I have Office on my Windows Phone. Don't you?

View attachment 86735

I do as well, but if you didn't use WP7 then you wouldn't know that Office on WP8.1 Update 1 is exactly the same as WP7, and has received one update in the time that WP has been available. What did it add you ask? Well I'll tell you, renamed SkyDrive to OneDrive which is fair enough, support for password protected document which can't be edited on the phone :confused:, support for Office 2013 file formats however documents with special formatting can't be edited on the phone :confused:

All in all not a very good update then!!!

Jorge Holguin

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
Speak for yourself please. I personally don't have a problem with the approach Microsoft are taking. You on the other hand do so why do you bother sticking with MS?

Go to Android and then you can complain when your shiny new toy gets malware on it.
Go to Apple and then you can complain because your phone is so full of apps, photos, movies and music that you don't have enough free space to install the latest update.
Go to Blackberry and then you can complain about lack of support and the disappearing userbase.

Until then enjoy what you have without whingeing about who got what piece of software first.

First: Many of us ≠ all of us.
Second: If us [users] don't complain or feedback companies don't move. Example MS will change the last changes of OneDrive. Why? Because people "complain" and MS listened.
Third: If you are happy with the current approach good for you. The big majority of WP users ain't. So we are trying to improve and make it the best it can be.
Last but not least, if I wouldn't like WP I wouldn't be here already.

Jorge Holguin

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
I do as well, but if you didn't use WP7 then you wouldn't know that Office on WP8.1 Update 1 is exactly the same as WP7, and has received one update in the time that WP has been available. What did it add you ask? Well I'll tell you, renamed SkyDrive to OneDrive which is fair enough, support for password protected document which can't be edited on the phone :confused:, support for Office 2013 file formats however documents with special formatting can't be edited on the phone :confused:

All in all not a very good update then!!!
Thank you. I couldn't explained better.

RichardBurt

Banned
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
...The big majority of WP users ain't...

That's a very big assertion to make. Can you prove that "the big majority" ain't happy with the situation?

Or do you mean that a very small percentage of the registered users of this website have expressed an opinion roughly in line with yours? If so then say that and please stop assuming that you are speaking on behalf of "many of us". You're not. You speak for maybe a couple of dozen at the most. No more than that.

The other 99+% of registered users either don't care, haven't read this thread or have better things to worry about. In fact, I'd be willing to bet that the other 99.99+% of WP users worldwide couldn't give two hoots about your "problem"

And my "couple of dozen" approximation is based on the people who have replied to your thread and who agree with you.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
That's a very big assertion to make. Can you prove that "the big majority" ain't happy with the situation?

Or do you mean that a very small percentage of the registered users of this website have expressed an opinion roughly in line with yours? If so then say that and please stop assuming that you are speaking on behalf of "many of us". You're not. You speak for maybe a couple of dozen at the most. No more than that.

The other 99+% of registered users either don't care, haven't read this thread or have better things to worry about. In fact, I'd be willing to bet that the other 99.99+% of WP users worldwide couldn't give two hoots about your "problem"

And my "couple of dozen" approximation is based on the people who have replied to your thread and who agree with you.

Then I wonder why the OneDrive app is changing from its Android port back to a Modern UI version in the next update then if the majority of WP users think like you!!!!

Jorge Holguin

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site

This doesn't have to do with the readers of this site. Just all the sites that cover MS & WP. And as I stated I'm not speaking for everybody but the big majority. Remember 55% vs 45% is not all but is still the majority.

Silver Wind

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
I just saw the new 'free' office experience on an iPhone, and I must say I felt ashamed to own a windows phone. We've had the same unchanged Office on WP for so long you could be forgiven for thinking it wasn't possible to make it better. Then suddenly Microsoft itself goes on to develop a more functional app for iPhone.

I've been using windows phone since before the Lumia 900 was released, and have brought in at least a dozen more users to the platform. Microsoft isn't making it easier for me to continue loving the platform. Satya Nadella's short time as CEO has me fearing that Windows Phone may not survive much longer.

Microsoft's universal keyboard doesn't work with Windows Phone. Microsoft releasing it only served to highlight WP's failings.

Office. This thread. The first paragraph of this post.

I'm writing this post on a Surface RT I bought as an early adopter. It's been pretty static since the Windows 8.1 update, having received no substantial updates. We've been promised Office for Touch for so long, I've forgotten. In the meantime, Microsoft released office for iOS, and I didn't complain - after all, they stilt had to use Office 365 for most of the features, and the non-touch Office on my Surface still made more sense. Office Touch for Windows was still AWOL, and Microsoft refreshes its iOS offerings, and releases a preview on android.

IT'S NO WONDER WINDOWS PHONE HAS BEEN LOSING MARKETSHARE!

I don't like it one bit, and MS should be seeing why this is happening. They can't keep ignoring their own platform expecting their users to stay adamant like the iSheep do.

Not everyone's a ****** like me or you. 1 of the people I introduced to this platform has already left it for iOS with the iPhone 6, because she didn't see herself lacking anything with iOS considering what Microsoft has been doing lately.

I picked up my surface tonight to look for who else was disappointed about Office being better on iOS, and I found this thread.

LumiAss

Jul 11, 2014
Visit site
Hello guys. Firstly, I'm not a ****** neither a hater. I just love my Lumia 1020 more than any phone i ever have. But now i feel very confuse with this situation. Do i need to go away from WP? Because i'm not sure that MS really want to make great support for users. They're just do the business. I'm jealous enough to android. They've reach their lollypop with very much of new great feature. But wp just get 8.1 in 2014 since wp 8 in 2012 when i still use lumia 620 and with these **** music, video app, lost the people hub, etc. The only one positive think in 8.1 is just the transparent and small tiles. Are you guys feel same with me about the slow support and update? 2 years has just go this far? Oh man! Even now iphone has the iphone 6!! But wp? Still survive with poor quality apps!!
I don't hope much. But 1020 just 1 year old, and i think it can do more think. Please MS, fix the slow camera in 1020 soon and give us windows 10 soon.
Don't take too serious on yours low end cheap phone project, useless. Users need an absolute OS and good support either quality of apps (update our office, skype, file management, multitasking performance, etc). After you have make great OS, people will switch to Lumia whatever type it is.

Jorge Holguin

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
Hello guys. Firstly, I'm not a ****** neither a hater. I just love my Lumia 1020 more than any phone i ever have. But now i feel very confuse with this situation. Do i need to go away from WP? Because i'm not sure that MS really want to make great support for users. They're just do the business. I'm jealous enough to android. They've reach their lollypop with very much of new great feature. But wp just get 8.1 in 2014 since wp 8 in 2012 when i still use lumia 620 and with these **** music, video app, lost the people hub, etc. The only one positive think in 8.1 is just the transparent and small tiles. Are you guys feel same with me about the slow support and update? 2 years has just go this far? Oh man! Even now iphone has the iphone 6!! But wp? Still survive with poor quality apps!!
I don't hope much. But 1020 just 1 year old, and i think it can do more think. Please MS, fix the slow camera in 1020 soon and give us windows 10 soon.
Don't take too serious on yours low end cheap phone project, useless. Users need an absolute OS and good support either quality of apps (update our office, skype, file management, multitasking performance, etc). After you have make great OS, people will switch to Lumia whatever type it is.

My preference will be that you stick with WP till W10 comes out and see if fulfill our wishes. WP is a very solid platform and if you don't use and/or need all the apps you will be just fine. I wrote this op to vent out my frustration with some of the move by MS, but I still recommend the phone. 2015 is near the corner and I will wait to see. But if nothing happens I will sadly will have to move.

Silver Wind

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
Same here, actually. And I assure you if I do leave this OS, I'll take it down with me in our country, where it's already less than 1% in market share. This wonderful support from Microsoft for its platform will make a great argument in the future, if I leave, I bet.

LumiAss

Jul 11, 2014
Visit site
Well. Maybe we have to trust that MS will bring something big in 2015. I'll stick with my 1020 for now and see what happen next year. If they just kidding around, it means goodbye.
I hope the best for wp. Go MS, Go!!

chris722

Nov 9, 2014
Visit site
Is the waiting and waiting ...... and waiting that gets into my gears. As right now I don't see anything that would make people to drop their current devices to jump to WP. The OS the best but as we know that's not enough, the app gap doesn't help and now we don't have anything we can say they don't have..
OP you are mistaken. I for one would like to try out Windows Phone. The phones have dual or quad core processing, even at the low end. Having 1.2 million apps means nothing. When I go to Google Play I cannot see all of those apps, because I have an entry level, single core phone that cannot run all of those apps. I see maybe, 20,000 apps. My phone has 512MB, for under $100 I can get an unlocked phone directly from Microsoft without apps I do not want installed on the phone. Try that on Android for less than $300. Try to get an Android for less than $100 that accepts a 128GB or a 64GB SD card. Try to get one with dual sim.

Each platform has their advantages and weaknesses. WP is not perfect, but it does have some strengths at the low end Android is sorely missing. Apps aren't everything. Was Office a selling point for you initially? Would it be for anyone converting from Android or iOS now? Fully featured (or as good as Android or iOS) Office would be great on WP right now but that does not sell the product to anyone looking to convert nor (should the shortcomings of the WP version) impede anyone that does their research on WP on making a decision. I do agree with your initial point about Office but at this point in the game I doubt it is a deal breaker.

Jorge Holguin

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
OP you are mistaken. I for one would like to try out Windows Phone. The phones have dual or quad core processing, even at the low end. Having 1.2 million apps means nothing. When I go to Google Play I cannot see all of those apps, because I have an entry level, single core phone that cannot run all of those apps. I see maybe, 20,000 apps. My phone has 512MB, for under $100 I can get an unlocked phone directly from Microsoft without apps I do not want installed on the phone. Try that on Android for less than $300. Try to get an Android for less than $100 that accepts a 128GB or a 64GB SD card. Try to get one with dual sim.

Each platform has their advantages and weaknesses. WP is not perfect, but it does have some strengths at the low end Android is sorely missing.

I don't know if you understood the OP!? I totally agree with you. My and many others' frustration is based on the fact that MS has developed better apps for the big two. I don't know if you has been using WP since WP 7 if you have then you will know what I mean. 2015 is around the corner and I'll keep my 1520 & 925 till then if doesn't change I'm sorry but I'll have to move.

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
Why are you guys complaining about a problem that will be fixed. This just creates havoc, causes people to leave for dumb reasons like office being updated for other platforms even though they never used office before on the phones wtf. All I am saying is that this thread should be closed now but it should be archived stuck in the forums so when windows 10 comes out with the new office, we can look back at this

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Why are you guys complaining about a problem that will be fixed. This just creates havoc, causes people to leave for dumb reasons like office being updated for other platforms even though they never used office before on the phones wtf. All I am saying is that this thread should be closed now but it should be archived stuck in the forums so when windows 10 comes out with the new office, we can look back at this

The problem is that no one knows if Windows 10 will be the game changer that most people think it will be, my feeling is that it won't, at least on phones, considering that WP 7.1, 7.5, 7.8, 8.0 and 8.1 were supposed to be game changers that would bring the masses over to Windows Phone at least according to people on here.

The problem with Office on WP is that unlike iOS and Android the WP version lacks so many features and has, at least two I know of, unfinished ones it's just not funny. Try opening and editing a password protected document on WP, oh sorry you can only view it. Try opening and editing a document with special formatting on WP, oh sorry you can only view it. I think we all have to face it that Office on Windows Mobile had more features.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes