Just bought a Surface Pro 3 and i need some tips on setting it up

rhlamb

Aug 23, 2012
Visit site
I just bought a SP3 (256Gb i5 + red type cover) online and it should be coming in the next couple of days and I would like some tips on the initial setup. I know that there are a few things that need to be done that I neglected to do with my previous (now dead) PC. The first and (what I understand to be the) most important thing, is to make a system image so that I can return the SP3 to its day 1 setup even if it gets a serious virus. So how do I go about doing that and what size flash drive would I need? I know that I can create a system image and also restore points but are those the same? Next, what are the settings that I need to change, if there are any? I'm talking about anything as simple as power settings to the really in depth stuff. Just anything that you guys have learned from previous experience. And finally, I would love to hear what accessories y'all have found useful that might not be thought of often. Any input is helpful, thanks! :smile:

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
The Pro 3, as well as many other computers, already have a recovery partition.
Meaning, it can easily be restored to factory condition on a whim.

You can move that partition off of the tablet to gain several GB of space.

Restore points are not system images. Just points where file changes can be rolled back. More precise and tactical than the carpet bombing of a factory reset.

You don't NEED to change settings, at least, there's nothing device breaking to change. But I would just explore all the settings, in the tablet-friendly PC Settings to the in-depth Control Panel...

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
Please make sure you do all the updates as soon as possible! I have seen too many SP3s returned because the preloaded software and drivers are buggy as hell. The updates really make the device super stable!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb