[L640-640XL] Oleophobic screen coating?

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Not exactly sure what you mean but a visit to the Corning website produced no "oleophobic" results unless I missed it.
Here's their GG3 product sheet. One would think it would be mentioned here or might this layer get applied by OEMs? I have no idea.

http://www.corninggorillaglass.com/...a Glass 3_2320_PI Sheet RevE_050613(1)(1).pdf

You got what I meant. I was asking for the file itself while implying that the documentation is most probably only for bare Gorilla Glass without the coating as compared to what would most likely be found (Gorilla Glass with coating) in most modern smart phones.

However, according to another documentation from Corning, based on tests they performed comparing coated and un-coated glass surfaces under the section "Abrasion Resistance" I quote, "Figure 3 shows an optical photo of such a sample, exhibiting significant scratching on the non-coated region whereas few visible scratches exist on the coating."

It's interesting why they didn't mentioned this in their "Product Information" document - if the surface coating accounts for most of the hardness of the glass rather than the glass itself, then Gorilla "Glass" may not be the appropriate name for their product after all.

Hence, it is from my understanding that if the Gorilla Glass found on a certain device is significantly scratch resistant, then it must have their (Corning's) oleophobic coating on it. I won't recommend testing the screen on any phone with a sand paper, though; but one can simply test this by sticking one of his or her fingers on a "normal" glass surface and a different finger (presumably with the same amount of oil as the first finger) on the screen of his or her phone - if there's less oil adhered onto the surface of the screen of the phone, then it's most probably and conventionally oleophobic. This finger oil adherence test is so easy it can be done just before deciding to buy the phone or not. :cool:

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I always just put a coating of automotive wax on top of the screen no matter what phone it is. Works much the same way as the oleophobic covering and its very easy to reapply.

Though, I'd get wax in the mic & speaker hole and the frame edges all over and be so pissed off :D

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
I always just put a coating of automotive wax on top of the screen no matter what phone it is. Works much the same way as the oleophobic covering and its very easy to reapply.
Though, I'd get wax in the mic & speaker hole and the frame edges all over and be so pissed off :D
Yeah, it can be very tricky applying car wax. Very effective, but tricky.
An easier solution is to use RainX and FogX. I use them on my vehicle windshields. Rarely need to run the wipers until the coating wears off. On a smart phone, it makes for an easy application and will last for several weeks. Over all, it is probably the least expensive and the best performance per dollar in the long run.

My fix for the 635 is to just use a Tempered Glass protector.

They're usually coated and feel like they're part of the phone.

My 635 tempered glass protector was $9 and made it feel so much better.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

I've been buying them a good bit cheaper.
http://www.amazon.com/Nacodex®-Temp...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUwpUvbUpU3076863
This one is currently listed at $5.45 and Free Shipping. Great deal. I keep it bookmarked because I'm always recommending it. I just got yet another convert on the L635 from Android last week, and just ordered them a screen protector. They are loving the phone, because it is so much faster and more responsive. Also easier for her to figure out and use. Phone is better quality than the particular "budget" android she had, so she is rather happy with it taking pics of her grandchildren.

At $5.45 each, you can actually change it out every few months and keep that smooth feel all the time. I think I may order another as a backup to the one I have.

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
An easier solution is to use RainX and FogX. I use them on my vehicle windshields. Rarely need to run the wipers until the coating wears off. On a smart phone, it makes for an easy application and will last for several weeks.

Good idea, I have that lying around too.

rhapdog

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
I asked if it is necessary to use screen protector or the gorila glass 3 is scratch resistant enough?

Screen protector is pretty much personal preference. I prefer it, because if it did get scratched, I can easily replace it and voila! A nice new screen.

Also, if the screen doesn't have the oleophobic coating, then a tempered glass screen protector will be the most cost effective solution to add it should you want that.

Pearcey125

Jan 12, 2015
Visit site
Not getting into the technical debate. But I've upgraded from a 635 to a 640. The 635 was a nightmare for fingerprints, the 640 is miles better and doesn't pick up dirt as easily.

carguy303

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, it can be very tricky applying car wax. Very effective, but tricky.
An easier solution is to use RainX and FogX. I use them on my vehicle windshields. Rarely need to run the wipers until the coating wears off. On a smart phone, it makes for an easy application and will last for several weeks. Over all, it is probably the least expensive and the best performance per dollar in the long run.

I've been buying them a good bit cheaper.
http://www.amazon.com/Nacodex®-Temp...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUwpUvbUpU3077970
This one is currently listed at $5.45 and Free Shipping. Great deal. I keep it bookmarked because I'm always recommending it. I just got yet another convert on the L635 from Android last week, and just ordered them a screen protector. They are loving the phone, because it is so much faster and more responsive. Also easier for her to figure out and use. Phone is better quality than the particular "budget" android she had, so she is rather happy with it taking pics of her grandchildren.

At $5.45 each, you can actually change it out every few months and keep that smooth feel all the time. I think I may order another as a backup to the one I have.

Not when you use something like turtlewax spray wax. I've found it works better and lasts longer than rainx without worrying about getting it in places it shouldn't be.

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
can screen protector affect (damage) oleophobic coating?

That depends on the composition of the adhesive material in the screen protector. Some pressure-sensitive adhesives (such as those in adhesive tapes (and most probably in screen protectors)) contain non-tertiary alcohols and polar compounds. However, these compounds seem to be chemically dormant (not active as compared with alcohol), and the alcohols (if present) in the adhesive compound won't act as a solvent. In addition, since the oleophobic coating material is most probably dielectrically adhered onto the surface of the glass, it would take a lot more chemical activity than what is found in adhesive compounds to remove it.

In short, there's a possibility but it's highly unlikely (that the screen protector will affect the oleophobic coating).

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Test it before attaching it onto your phone. Does the screen protector resist finger prints as well as the screen of the L640?

Without the complete technical specifications of the screen protector, we can't really reach a definitive conclusion solely from theory.

STALKER-SVK

Apr 25, 2015
Visit site
received that screen protectors from ebay yesterday, they are matte so thats one more reason to use it as it improves display visibility on sunny days

Bubblefat

May 16, 2015
Visit site
IS a tempered glass screen protector a positive addition to Gorilla Glass, since it is already a strong anti-scratch/shatter material?

STALKER-SVK

Apr 25, 2015
Visit site
before I had screen protector, my phone fell on grass and I noticed about 1mm scratch on display :( I dont believe gorilla glass anymore and will always use screen protectors

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
before I had screen protector, my phone fell on grass and I noticed about 1mm scratch on display :( I dont believe gorilla glass anymore and will always use screen protectors

Grass? It's most probably the sand-silicate-quartz particles near the grass that caused the scratch. An L535 I used to own also fell on grass screen first, but there were no scratches on the screen after.

rhapdog

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Gorilla Glass is scratch resistant, not scratch proof. Tempered Glass screen protectors are the same way. Scratch resistant. However, if you seriously scratch a Tempered Glass screen protector, it is easily replaced. That's why I always use them. It's also why I don't want to get a phone with a curved screen, because the tempered glass protectors don't fit.

Mikegwald

Aug 19, 2014
Visit site
I just got my Lumia 640 from Cricket wireless and i can 1000% confirm that this phone DOES have a Oleophobic coating. its a million times better than the lumia 635 and screen feels just as good as my sisters iphone 6+ and feels even better then my friends nexus 6 .

no fingerprints at all and wipes crystal clean with a microfiber in one swipe :)

i am super happy with this phone i may even buy a second just for a backup

Ed YANG

Jan 18, 2014
Visit site
... ...While the screen is oleophobic, oil and finger prints can still adhere onto its surface. Oleophobic simply means oil-resistant, but not oil-proof. This means that oil will not stick as easily on the screen compared with other surfaces....
Well... fats that oozes out from your face will still stick on the screen.
Trust me, i keep wiping the screen with my shirt for i have a greasy face...

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Well... fats that oozes out from your face will still stick on the screen.
Trust me, i keep wiping the screen with my shirt for i have a greasy face...

True, but it is easier to remove those "fats" from an oleophobic screen than from an ordinary glass surface. The most effective medium to remove those "fats" is a micro-fiber cloth, not your T-shirt (unless your shirt is woven with microfiber material).:wink:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon