L950 with build 15063.483 battery drain when powered off

northernpipeman

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
Hi, all. I dont want this to be another 'battery drain' thread, but i was trying to save my battey over the weekend as i was in the hills and didnt want it to drain due to poor cell reception.

I turned the phone off (actually off, so no power, short of physically removing the battery), then after ~5 hours i turned it on to 80% power, then after another ~10 hours it had dropped to 40%, and then after another 5 hours it had died completely.

I have had bad battery drain on this build anyway and i've ben troubleshooting the radios (I'm getting 6% per hour overnight with no background tasks), but for it to drain like that when the handset is off seems like a new feature to me. Has anyone else come across this, or able to tell me what I did wrong?

ACF1

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
I'm having a similar issue with creators update. I don't think it is draining while off. I think it is not charging well and giving you a false charge reading.

I charge my phone overnight, I wake up, the phone says 100%. I disconnect it, restart the phone right away (meaning, no usage, not time idle, no time off, just few seconds off the charger), and when it comes back on, it says charged 80ish%. So I charge it back to 100%.

Try restarting the phone (volume down + power for 5+ seconds) right after your phone reaches 100%. If it comes back to less than 90%, then we have the same problem.

Also, I don't think the discharge meter is reading accurately.

northernpipeman

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
That sounds about right - i think the CU has done bad things to the battery managment. I have actually just bought a new battery to see if improves, since mine is 2-years old now anyway and is likley pretty much ruined from regular fast charging.

I'll try full charging and resetting to see if i can force a new calibration point onto the battery. If that doeant work, then maybe a proper hard reset.

Also temping to switch to the fast ring to get the bug fixes, but it seems like this is still not 100% stable for everyday use.

ACF1

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Also, when my phone reads 20%, battery saver or not, it shutdowns. It would try to restart, but it would shut down again. One time I tried many times until it actually read I only have 5% battery and not 20%, which seems about right for not wanting to stay on.

It only happened after Creators Update.

If you figure something out, let me know. I'll do the same. I was going to venture in buying a new battery because mine is from Jan 2016, so I am glad I didn't.

northernpipeman

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
Also, when my phone reads 20%, battery saver or not, it shutdowns. It would try to restart, but it would shut down again. One time I tried many times until it actually read I only have 5% battery and not 20%, which seems about right for not wanting to stay on.

It only happened after Creators Update.

If you figure something out, let me know. I'll do the same. I was going to venture in buying a new battery because mine is from Jan 2016, so I am glad I didn't.

Your description maches my phone - the new battery hasnt achieved much differnce. Chaging to the Fast Ring also made very littel difference, so my next step will be a hard reset, but I hate doing that and I'm putting it off.

northernpipeman

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
i did a full hard rest the other day. It wasnt too painful, although i have now lost the UK Trains app. The phone seems marginaly less laggy, but I'll see how it affects battery life.

randomforum

Aug 6, 2017
Visit site
My lumia is week old, new, and it gets 5/6 hours battery, gets hot, and I can install apps on my sd.

30% battery goes down after 2 hour of use, does not matter the apps I use, I tested using cuntinuum via wireless and I get 2hours for 30% less battery, I was expecting it to use more

I noticed it when I updated the phone to this build

northernpipeman

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
Can you look at the battery manger in settings and ID the apps using battery - maybe check in the morning and set it to the last 6-hours. I think WhatsApp and lock screen may be the culprits on mine, as they were the only battery drains overnight with background app turned off.

ACF1

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
I got to say I think my problems got solved (cross fingers). I bought via Ebay (seller w_trade) a supposedly OEM battery. It cost me $16 and change, incl shipping.

When I received it, it really looked like the original battery that came with my phone. The only difference was that some of the id numbers in the back, and the "made in ..." was covered with black sharpie. The front where it says Microsoft, was covered with black tape. So it made me uneasy at first, but it really looks like the original, fits like the original (as opposed to those replacement batteries on Amazon). So I guess they are contraband or something. They went the hard way to conceal they were Microsoft's. Knock off really do the opposite, they make an effort to look like the original.

The only discernable difference was the date on it, 2016/10/11. My original battery was dated 2015/12/09

I charged it, charges all the way to 100% at it seems I get more juice now than when the phone was new. I have had it for 3 full days now, and it really last 24 hours with moderate low usage (about 400 daily WhatsApp msg (reading most of the them, so screen on while reading 100 messages at a time), plus twitter and web surfing/reading, news app, a few short calls, etc). So I'm guessing 8+ hours heavy usage. Of course, I have tinker with setting for optimal battery life, but this is the most I have ever got compared to brand new battery.

I am super exicted about the life of the battery, hopefully it won't slow down over time. Thought I post an update just in case anyone is interested.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes