Laptop fan suddenly goes full speed for several minutes - minimal activity

DynamicWin

Apr 10, 2024
Visit site
I bought a new HP laptop few months ago. No OS installed. It is HP 250 G8, Intel i3 11th generation 3.0 - 4.1GHz, 2x 8 GB DDR4 3200, integrated Intel UHD graphics, 512 GB WD M.2 NVMe PCIe 4x4. I have installed Windows 11 Pro 23H2 february update and also successfully updated BIOS to the latest version. Laptop worked well for 3 months. The fan rarely turned on very quietly. I was using laptop only for internet browsing and YouTube. I didn't run any heavy applications yet. I installed Speccy utility and when I turn on the laptop, the temperature is about 28 °C (82.4°F). Few days ago I pluged in the laptop to charge the baterry which was about 15%. Then I turned on the laptop, waited a few minutes and then started Edge to check my Gmail. When I opened Gmail in the browser suddenly the fan started running full speed. I checked Speccy and the CPU temperature jumped to 71°C (159.8°F). The fan ran at full speed for several minutes and then slowly turned off. I checked Speccy and the temperature was again normal. I don't have any background processes, only Windows. I use AVG free antivirus, but realtime protection and background scanning is off. There is no dust obstructing the airflow. I used the laptop again the next day and it ran normally. Used Edge for YouTube. The fan didn't even turned on.

So what could be the cause for CPU temperature jumping that high with only using Egde for Gmail and fan running at full speed for several minutes? Could it be the battery heated because the laptop was plugged in? Should I be worried about a potential hardware defect?

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
What is running at startup? What is the ambient temperature in the room? What surface is the laptop on? Are the vents blocked by anything like whatever the laptop is sitting on?

Reactions: nop

DynamicWin

Apr 10, 2024
Visit site
Startup is as minimal as possible. Only essential Windows processes and AVG antivirus without realtime protection and background scanning. Ambient temperature is about 15°C (59°F). Laptop is on a flat wooden table. Vents are not blocked.

But this situation happened only once in 3 months and laptop is new.

DynamicWin

Apr 10, 2024
Visit site
My previous laptops had vents on the left side. Maybe a better solution. This new laptop has vents only on the bottom side. I bought a laptop stand with an additional big quiet fan. I will use it first just as a stand. The airflow should be better. I will then observe will the described problem with laptop fan happen again.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
robinalbers