Licensing/How do upgrades work on WIndows/Office?

slyronit

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Hello.

Till recently I had an active MSDN account and I have legal MSDN Windows 8.1 and Office 2013 keys/licenses. When Windows 9/next version of Office comes out, will I be able to upgrade (using a cheaper upgrade plan) to these versions, or would I have to buy the full license?

In short, does Microsoft allow MSDN----->Retail updates?

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Legally speaking, MSDN licences cover development/testing purposes only and shouldn't really be used for day-to-day use. I very much doubt that those licence keys would allow you to traverse from MSDN to retail.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Hello.

Till recently I had an active MSDN account and I have legal MSDN Windows 8.1 and Office 2013 keys/licenses.

In short, does Microsoft allow MSDN----->Retail updates?

Right and legally, once your MSDN sub is up, so is the licensees according to the terms. Yea, they still will activate etc but, as you said LEGAL, once your sub is up, it's no longer legal.

I would very much doubt it would work as a upgrade, in fact I am pretty sure it wont. Just hope you have a XP license sitting around incase for a upgrade. It should still work with Windows 9.....SHOULD.

Not sure why people believe once MSDN is up they are allowed to keep the software...it's always been this way but, I know a lot of people who just "keep" it when their sub is up..

slyronit

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Thanks guys. My MSDN subscription ended last month. With windows 9 so close, I am in no mood to shell out money for 8.1. Will buy Windows 9 retail when it is out.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Thanks guys. My MSDN subscription ended last month. With windows 9 so close, I am in no mood to shell out money for 8.1. Will buy Windows 9 retail when it is out.

If your worried about having to pay $300+ for Windows 9....Check assorted sites for XP or 7 licensees, I would almost bet when 9 is released they will run a deal like 8 was, and you would just need a XP or 7 licensee that you should be able to get cheap with some hunting around.

slyronit

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
How does the upgrade actually work? Do they require the older license key before they give me the new one, or do I have to install Windows XP, then upgrade to Windows 9 using the new key? Will the new key work for fresh installs?

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
How does the upgrade actually work? Do they require the older license key before they give me the new one, or do I have to install Windows XP, then upgrade to Windows 9 using the new key? Will the new key work for fresh installs?

Depends, It's been hit or miss in the past. I have heard with Windows 8 (someone correct me if I am wrong), that it will ask you for your Key, once you put in that key, the old key is no longer valid and you can do a clean install. Other times like XP or Vista, you would need a OS installed and "activated", then you could do a clean install to a new drive, or just do a upgrade.

Anyway about it, if you have to install Xp for example on a machine before W9, install it, do a base install with just enough to get it running (no WIn updates or extra drivers), then do the upgrade, everything from the old OS will be in C:\Windows.old and after a week or so, you can delete it...

RajeevT

May 3, 2014
Visit site
I used the Win8 updater to transfer the installer to a USB stick (it offers to create a DVD for you too but a USB drive's so much faster). My experience so far has been that I could boot off the stick and as long as a qualifying activated previous version of Windows was present you could then choose to format and start afresh. Haven't tried yet with either an empty hard drive or non-activated copy of Windows though. Some people say the upgrade installer asks for a key, some say it doesn't. Retail version installer will have no such hassles of course, just install and enter the key you got with it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
priya8923