Looking for a laptop after disappointment with Lenovo Flex 3 15

DaveGx

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
I got the Lenovo Flex 3 15 as a gift. A few things that bothered me and the one I gave it to were the screen, sound, and mouse pad. Screen quality was good, except it did not seem to get bright enough. When watching a show on Netflix, it was darker than it shouldve been despite having brightness all the way up. The resolution was good except everything seemed too small. I was able to adjust that, but while things were bigger, everything was a tiny bit blurry. The sound was very disappointing. Quality was poor and it did not get loud enough. Lastly, the touch pad was just way too slick. Too easy to slide your finger around on.

Now I guess you get what you pay for. But the laptop performance wise was great. I dont know why they couldnt make the screen go brighter or beef up the sound. Its 2015. People expect to stream music/movies. Good sound now should be standard.

So now I am returning it. But have no idea what to get in its place. The person who is receiving this doesnt game. Basically a casual user but uses the laptop for music/movies/shows also. Id like to get something with a decent screen size, and doesnt weigh a ton. Something that can be upgraded to Windows 10. Any ideas? Looking to spend about $800

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Well you could get the surface 3 128gb model, keyboard and pen for $700 with a student discount.

Other options would be - if you had to buy it from Microsoft Store:
1) Acer R 13 Buy Acer Aspire R 13 R7-371T Signature Edition 2 in 1 PC - Microsoft Store
2) ASUS Transformer Book T300 Chi Buy ASUS Transformer Book T300 Chi Signature Edition 2 in 1 PC - Microsoft Store

I'm sure you'll find plenty of other options if you to shopped around on manufacturer websites - for example
ASUS ZENBOOK UX305FA @ $849.
The Inspiron 15 7000 series i7 Model @ $799 (base)
The base model for the Lenovo Yoga 2 is at $599.

DaveGx

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
Well you could get the surface 3 128gb model, keyboard and pen for $700 with a student discount.

Other options would be - if you had to buy it from Microsoft Store:
1) Acer R 13 Buy Acer Aspire R 13 R7-371T Signature Edition 2 in 1 PC - Microsoft Store
2) ASUS Transformer Book T300 Chi Buy ASUS Transformer Book T300 Chi Signature Edition 2 in 1 PC - Microsoft Store

I'm sure you'll find plenty of other options if you to shopped around on manufacturer websites - for example
ASUS ZENBOOK UX305FA @ $849.
The Inspiron 15 7000 series i7 Model @ $799 (base)
The base model for the Lenovo Yoga 2 is at $599.

Thanks. Only issue with ordering online is you don't get to check it out first. I hate to nitpick about screen brightness and sound but those are important. And hard to know without using the device first. I just don't want to order and return it, and pay another 15% restocking fee. Surface looks nice but screen size looks small and I doubt the sound packs a punch.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Thanks. Only issue with ordering online is you don't get to check it out first. I hate to nitpick about screen brightness and sound but those are important. And hard to know without using the device first. I just don't want to order and return it, and pay another 15% restocking fee. Surface looks nice but screen size looks small and I doubt the sound packs a punch.

Fair point, I see your as picky as me lol this is what I do when I'm looking to buy a laptop either for myself or a family member:
1) Make a short list of models that interest me or fit the criteria that I'm looking for
2) Check reviews, video reviews and revise list if there are issues (i.e screen far to reflective)
2) Check retailer websites if they have them or similar models
3) Make a note of which store has them in stock + at what price and go visit them to check them out in person.
4) Once decided, go online and see if I can get it cheaper

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb