Lumia 1020 is not a worthy upgrade

Lundon44

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
This is just my opinion but for any of us that already own a 920 (or other variant) I can't see this is as a worth while upgrade. It's literally the same phone with an improved camera. While I was very excited for this phone to come it would have been great to see other improvements along with the camera. I really hope this isn't Nokia's official sucessor to the 920.

However what I would like to see is this camera tech carried over to a more updated model. Slightly larger screen, better cpu etc.. I know a lot is yet to come with GDR3 but I feel they should've just teased everyone officially today and held on to the EOS to include in a few higher end models with newer specs.

Huime

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
by numbering you can see this is a new series. As for the worthy or not to upgrade, you are kinda like looking at S4 compare to the coming Note3.

kulf

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Well, this thing has 2GB of RAM plus it will come in a 64 GB variant. Incremental upgrades, but nonetheless nice upgrades. It's up to Microsoft to push WP8 now.
And don't forget there are additional APIs the allow cool camera apps on the 1020.

eurovisionacts

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Nokia has opened the door wide open with such a lackluster specs bump. The fact its not 64GB is going to be a big hindrance.... Plus a 2000 mah battery is just a flipping joke for such a powerful camera.

Personally, looks like Sony now has the upper hand if and when it decides to release the Sony Honami. Not only does it run android, it also has Snapdragon 800, expandable SD to 100 GB total (with 64 GB microsd slot), and also 3000+ mAH battery.

Probably will go for same price if not less than this phone.

Sorry Nokia you flopped big time, $299 for an ON contract phone is putting it DoA. Remember when you put an aggressive $450 off contract + free wireless charger for the 920?!

Cubeddd

Apr 2, 2013
Visit site
Well for stalkers and and legal stalkers (paparazzi) who don't want to get caught out with their long zoom lenses attached to giant cameras, it is a worthy upgrade. I mean you could pretend to be in a call when actually you're taking pics or vids of someone a few yards away from you.

Lundon44

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
I don't know.. I'm trying to be excited about it but there's no way I'm dropping $600 on the exact same phone lol. This is even less of an upgrade than going from an iPhone 4 to a 4s! However, if I was a photographer well it's a worthwhile upgrade.

So I assume then this is supposed to appeal to people who haven't jumped on the Lumia bandwagon yet? Or people that are ready from an upgrade from the WP7.5 phones?

mv740

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
...this is not the successor to the 920!!!! It's a new model for the market that only want to take pictures. So go check your local bestbuy store for a 40+mp camera, check the price and come back here lol

eurovisionacts

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
That pretty much makes it a crap phone no matter how many cores they stuff into it.

If you seen how the Snapdragon 800 performs it can make any OS look snappy. Android use to be garbage, but with all these quad core phones coming out, it really aint gonna matter (with Jelly bean).

In fact the Snapdragon 800 is showing 1.75X faster then the S4 Pro. Its a no contest really.

I refuse to support evolution rather then innovation. 920 was innovative phone, this is a goddam step backwards (No wireless charging really?!)

ericmcarson

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
I cannot believe there is no wireless charging built in (and the only way to get it is that super thick camera grip accessory)? I'll stick with the 920 until they figure out how to deliver a flagship experience that doesn't degrade what I already have.

Nataku4ca

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
tbh, it makes more sense if you put "to 920" at the end of your title :p

i don't think this is meant to "lure" 920 users to upgrade, it's meant to compete at the highest level against Samsung's Galaxy S4 Zoom (beat down the new kid on the block? lol)
to me, definitely the upgrade i am looking for, still on the 800 :)

now if there is just a promotion and Telus have it... not liking Rogers at the moment but they seem to be the biggest supporter for WP in Canada atm so I'll give them some slack

Last edited:

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
The 920 is less than a year old so I don't know why you would want to upgrade already. The 1020 isn't meant for those that already own a 920.

pantsaregood

Mar 25, 2012
Visit site
No, it isn't a worthy upgrade. Just like a Lumia 920 isn't really a worthy upgrade to a Lumia 820. It's a new series of phones that sits above the flagship device.

Take a look at Nokia's approach. The first generation of Nokia Windows Phones was tiered as follows:

Lumia 505/510
Lumia 610
Lumia 710
Lumia 800
Lumia 900

We're currently on the second:

Lumia 520/521
Lumia 620
Lumia 720
Lumia 820/810/822
Lumia 920/925/928
Lumia 1020

Nokia worked for some time on making lower end devices. Now they worked their way up slightly. I'd expect a third generation announcement to show up between September and November.

original.woodster

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
I came from L610, had it for a year, liked the OS that much, wanted to get a 920, but 925 was announced so waited out and got it on pre-order straight away, with the 1020 announced and rumors leaked i was happy with my decision, it has NO increased specs in terms of cpu or storage options, it has an extra 1gb of ram due to the camera sensor size. It lacks the wireless charging that the 920 has, but that phone was heavy, which is why i opted for the 925, its slim compared to other flagship phones from other ecosystems like the HTC One and iPhone 5.

The 1020 is great for those coming to windows phone and want to boast about the megapixels, but phone photography doesn't appeal to me much.

bubleCHAMBER

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
You see, Cameras aren't about megapixels anymore. It is all how you capture image. It is all about photography in the strictest sense. All that you can do with the ProCam is amazing.
I understand your pain but you are wrong about photography.

Lundon44

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
Nokia worked for some time on making lower end devices. Now they worked their way up slightly. I'd expect a third generation announcement to show up between September and November.

So then it's that 3rd gen I should be keeping an eye out for. However I really hope that this new camera tech finds it's way into other future models and doesn't stay exclusive to that 1020 model.

NaNoo123

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
Would i like to see higher spec lumia sure.
But this isn't meant to be it.
It's a l920 tweaked for size and weight, with the most advanced camera on a phone.
Probably meant for people who really take photography seriously, something to use when they don't have main camera on them.
People who would spend same amount on just the camera lense as the full cost of phone.

If you have any lumia wp8 it isn't meant as an upgrade for you unless your a real shutter bug.
Same way the other l920 variants wasn't.

Personally i think they made mistake with model number because does imply it is something other than a variant with super camera.

Don't understand why they don't like to put sd slot on their top end products though.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077