Lumia 1520 Display panel breaks easily!!!

Adithya Naragund

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Hi Guys

Bought a new lumia 1520 one month ago. Never dropped it, not a scratch any where. Carried it in my pocket in a cab and after the ride, noticed a crack on the display panel. The outer glass is fine!!! No scratch/ damage signs. How can such a costly phone be so fragile? Microsoft should look into this matter seriously. Have got insurance. So waiting with my fingers crossed. The display is so costly.. 18000-20000 INR!!! Any experiences ?? Do share.

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
It's not a fault with the design of the 1520. The large size of the phone makes it more susceptible to flex in your pocket. Other large form-factor phones like the Samsung Notes and the iPhone 6+ have similar problems.

hurkanasmaci

Aug 10, 2014
Visit site
Have been using 1520 for a year now, I dropped it dozens of times, carried it in my back and side pockets, sat on it...i even bent it. Still no cracks scratches or any dead pixels. You device could be factory defected I think. The only thing I have been managed to crack is the protective rear camera glass which is not gorilla glass. I must say that it was a rather harsh drop and i dropped my 1520 screen first and then it jumped and fell on its rear.

Adithya Naragund

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Dunno.. The guys at the service center say it is physical damage and can not be covered under nokia warranty.. Pretty disappointed. Really liked this phone.. Anyway thanks a lot.

stoneman1520

Feb 2, 2015
Visit site
Hi
I carry a 1520 also, and dropped it twice, no problem.
I just got 2 scratches near Nokia name that are barely visible.
I think the problem is that more the phone' size is greater, more its fragility is important.
With its 6", the 1520 should be carried on a large pocket (what I personnally think, at least).
As on the comments above, it may be a factory defect.
Good luck :)

seb_r

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
It's not a fault with the design of the 1520. The large size of the phone makes it more susceptible to flex in your pocket. Other large form-factor phones like the Samsung Notes and the iPhone 6+ have similar problems.
Well it IS a design fault: the body of the phone is not sturdy enough to prevent bending and flexing! Also the innards are squeezed pretty much together. There are various threads here in the forums where users report screen discoloration around the area where the camera is located. Even normal usage and very gently tapping causes it - best seen on a empty website ( = white background). Also swelling of the battery (which is normal to a certain degree even for a healthybattery) contribute to this issue. That obviously explains why the screen cracked but not the digitizer glass.
Not surprising the incompetent guys in service center not know about the reason for this, although even to them it should be suspicious how it supposed to be physical damage if the digitizer is fine. And of course they are programmed robots to deny warranty is there is a broken "screen" ( I doubt they can distinguish between the actual display and the digitizer).

princeegli

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
The screen is strong for 2 years I've had it....ive been dirt bike riding with it,and even wrecked, and rolled down a big hill ,with it In my pocket....no problem,dropped it afew times too.....i think some just hit it,in just the wrong way.....be carefully with the lovely 1520

indie24

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
I have had a glass screen protector on mine since Dec 13 when I bought it. Around 2 months ago I noticed a very thin crack half was going across the phone. My heart sank but noticed it was only the screen protector so I'm certain it did its job as I know I have sat on mine several times on the sofa!

Adithya Naragund

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Thanks guys
Just received news that insurance has been rejected. will know the details on Monday. Guess that leaves me no chance but to go to court and sue these guys.. They can not get away with our hard earned money..

Games Goblin

May 26, 2013
Visit site
Thanks guys
Just received news that insurance has been rejected. will know the details on Monday. Guess that leaves me no chance but to go to court and sue these guys.. They can not get away with our hard earned money..

Does your insurance cover accidental damages? Which insurance you got for your phone and how much did it cost you?

Adithya Naragund

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Ya . Its mobile protection plan by New India Assurance. It has accidental damage warranty. But its just another money making racket I guess. Will have to see what reason they give for rejecting my claim.

alex athanasopoulos

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
I am really sorry to hear that. It really is an expensive phone and rejecting your insurance, well, (cant say it here). I hope taking them to the courts give you the satisfaction of them losing and paying a big fine. Good luck 🍀

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05