Lumia 520 battery issue

lulusantos

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site
Hi, I'm using the Nokia Lumia 520. Please bear with me while I explained my usage of the phone throughout the day.

I charged the phone to full at 11pm. Use it for news before bed (Nextgen Reader) for about 15 minutes. After that, turned on battery saver with wifi on and left it for the night. (battery saver turned off when I wake up around 8am)

In the morning , use it for news again, sync and read, and browsing with IE for about 30 minutes with 3g.
Then use it again for news and IE with wifi this time , for about an hour. There's a youtube video lasting 2+ minutes

Went for exam at 2pm, 3g on. Came out about 4.30pm , my phone battery is at 27%. Reached home wifi on, left it in the room. Battery critical notification came around 6.00pm. Turned on battery saver with wifi on. Phone dead when I check around 8pm.

In between there's 2-3 phone calls all lasting no more than 5 minutes. And whenever 3g is on, wifi is off and vice versa. Battery settings indicate around 19 hours since last charge, if i remember corrrectly.

Is this normal battery life for lumia 520? Oh, and every time I use wifi/3g for IE/nextgen reader, the back of the phone become warm very quickly. It's quite warm because i can feel it through my jeans/pants.

Should i send the phone for checkup, or it's normal for the lumia 520?

Sorry for the long post.

Ashish Saraf1

May 7, 2013
Visit site
i use my lumia as a multimedia device and for playing games and music

it lasts for 3 days with no internet

wifi,2g or 3g sucks up more battery...my droid would last only for about 12hours if i replicated your case on my Galaxy S3l

lulusantos

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site
Oh, embarrassingly this is actually my first time using smartphones. Now i know data connection is very bad for battery.
Hmm, guess I'll try to your way and see if gets better.

Corepc

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
On my 521 I can go about 8 - 12 Hours over a 3g/4g connection with heavy internet usage mainly surfing this forum. I only have one app running in background the WPCentral App.

I would check and see if you have any apps running background services that you do not need and turn those off. I would turn on Nokia Drive for Sure if not using it.

Read WP Battery Tips

Shawn Magm

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
I have my phone charged and leave for work about 0730. I keep wifi, bluetooth on always. The bluetooth connects to my car. When I get to work, I connect to my work wifi. I use the phone to check email, eBay, Craigslist, Weave, throughout the day. When I get home, the battery is about 60-70%. I'm pretty happy with the battery life. It's been stable. No battery plummet issues like my former Galaxy S3, which I had to restart every time I get home.

Savin Wangtal

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site

To help make charging a bit easier at night, you could try one of those wireless charging station. Personally though, I grab a USB extension chord (10M) and plug that to an AC->USB adapter, which is plugged into my house's outlet. It lets you stay up to 30ft from the outlet while your phone charges, so that way you could keep on reading at night like you were doing before.

lulusantos

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site
I think it's really hard to gauge whether a smartphone's battery is performing as it should or something is amiss, since everyone's usage pattern is different.
Maybe I'll drop by Nokia care and ask them to have a look.

shashi8092

Dec 16, 2013
Visit site
I m using Lumia 520 When after full charge battery estimated time is show only 10 hours.But I turnoff always Internate connection Brightness but our battery discharge start .when 30 minute Internet use then 20% Battery discharge.In one day we two times charge the mobile.Please help ...

chaitanya91845

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
Hey. Just like Corepc said..Why dont you go to Settings->Applications tab->background tasks to check if there are several apps that are allowed to run in the background.. That could be the issue.

Mandak Zdravo

Oct 7, 2013
Visit site
Until yesterday my battery be can fill that lasts for about 2 days and 20 hours. After reset OS, now my battery be can fill that lasts for about 6 hours.
Battery full 100%, rest time about 6 hours. I remove battery for about 10 minutes, and problem the same.

fdalbor

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
Bought a 520 when Amazon put them on sale about three weeks ago. Used the phone as a mini tablet for the past three weeks without a sim (the sim that it came with was for Go Phone only) puting on apks and filling out the the people box and making sure it was fine so I could have it transfered to my wife to replace her older phone. Got to the AT&T dealer and he put a sim in it and we tried to turn it on. It would buzz and the AT&T world globe would display then a battery would appear with a small red line at the bottom of it and a electric plug would flash over the empty battery. The rep said it was probably not charged; but when I left from my house to go to the AT&T store it read 89% charged. I said OK; but the battery will not charge at all. I have tried to charge it with the charger that came with it. I have tried the charger that came with my 820, and a couple of other chargers that work on every other phone, and nothing but what it did at the AT&T store. Is it possible for the battery to just die in that short of time. (AT&T store is 10 minutes from my house). Before sending it in for repair I decided to order another battery (11.99), and see if that is the problem. Never seen anything like this before. I must have charged the battery 9 or 10 times and had no problem with it before the AT&T visit. Anything happen like this to anyone else. The battery was holding charge for 3 or 4 days before this.??????????????????????

fdalbor

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
I want to thank RyanDaLyon for his tip on the pins in the 520 that the battery connects too. He said he had the same problem and he sent his 520 twice to Nokia and they never fixed it. So he bent the pins in the battery compartment and has had no trouble with it for the past 4 1/2 months. Sure enough (see post above) I tried his trick and it worked perfect. The phone came on the minute I replaced the battery after bending the pens. I also want to thank NottiLibetine and MDak280 as they sent fixes that were not used; but thanks for all of ya'll help. Great bunch of guys, thank you again. Now back to the AT&T shop to get it reactivated. I have a feeling they will feel a little foolish. But I plan on telling them it was just a small error and just reactivate it and things will be fine. If it ever happens again (to the AT&T people) they will know what to do to fix the problem.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster