Lumia 521: Best smartphone I've ever had

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I'm struck by how smoothly a $149 phone runs. And how long it lasts. And the OS is *stunning*. People who don't like it are lame.

Sure the 521 has some fine details that could be improved, but when I think of these things, I have to keep it in perspective. It's a $149 phone, not a $500 phone.

At $500, the Lumia 920 is amazing. But it's $350 more. Seriously... if the 521 gets smashed or I leave it in a cab, I won't cry about it. My Galaxy Nexus, the Z10 I had, or if I had gotten a 920 or a 8X and had lost one of those, I'd cry.

Those shortcomings you speak of are Microsoft, not the OS itself. Nokia is definitely showing why they were the top dog for so long.

angryGTS

May 17, 2013
Visit site
Setting->RingTones&Sounds->at bottom select key press that will turn on or off the keyboard feedback when you type..

WP8 is pretty locked down so going to take a while for anybody to crack the bootloader so that custom rom will work..see xda site..

Thanks, but maybe I am blind in the settings all I see is a setting for a sound to be played while I type. There is no vibration setting for the keyboard.

Dustin Hodges

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
Thanks, but maybe I am blind in the settings all I see is a setting for a sound to be played while I type. There is no vibration setting for the keyboard.

I believe that's it. The sound should come with haptic feedback (I know it does in vibrate mode, and it should with the phone unmuted as well)

baseballbert

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
It's funny, someone posts how much they love their WP, and everything about it then the thread inevitably turns into "well it doesn't have this bell and whistle so it doesn't compare to phone x...." post where people chime in what the phone doesn't have instead of being pumped another person has a WP.

To the OP, psyched you're digging your WP experience!! Enjoy your 521!!!

Last edited:

Terry Miles

Apr 27, 2014
Visit site
I also am a Samsung / android, freak. I have an old sgs4g that I have ported every custom rom known to man. But then my Parents upgraded their phones and gave me this Nokia Lumia 521 just to play around with. At first, like any other android user, I thought the phone was a joke! But I activated it, again, just to play with, but, I am in love with it! It does everything that my android did, but only better! The phone is fast, operates smoothly, and has an awesome battery life. I still don't care for any apple products, but I am sold on windows and Nokia phones. May never go back to Droid.

Jim Bob4

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site
After using android phones for years my son convinced me to try the 521. I have had the phone for 8 months and love it. Very easy to use. Since I do not play games I don't care about the RAM limitation. The phone does everything I need. When I use my wife's android now, it is so clumsy. Even my wife is thinking about a WP, particularly after I got WP 8.1 dev prev. When the final 8.1 comes out there is essentially no excuse not to consider a Windows phone. My brother got the 920..his first smartphone. He took to like a fish to water.

ajayden

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
In the place where I live this phone is known as the 520. Its a neat phone with a fluid OS and all the necessary features for standard user. I would also recommend the Lumia 625 as it is light, thin, have bigger screen and a front facing camera.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss