lumia 640 camera

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
We would need to see some samples of the photos you took, since "best quality" isn't really an exact measure and so that we would be able to identify what could be wrong in the photos. Under what lighting conditions were they taken? And what do you consider as "best quality"?

wplee

Aug 30, 2014
Visit site
Unfortunately it has no Zeiss optics so that's what we get for the price.
That's why I'm getting the XL version of the 640 which does have a Zeiss lens, worth the extra ?50 for 13MP photos.

i dont know if that is how it suppose to be, but when i zoom in.. the picture is realy in a bad resolution

It's because you are trying to take a wide landscape photo which unfortunately the sensor and 8MP camera is not the best suited for. I have the same problem with my old Lumia 630 and find detail is fine with close shots of objects and people but poor with landscapes/scenery. There are a few things you can do to improve them:

1) Try lower the camera to focus on closer objects, in your photo you have too much sky light.
2) Download Photoshop Express (free) app which has powerful sharpening/noise reductions tools. Some of these features used to be paid only but I registered within the Adobe Login and got all the features now free.
3) Download Fotor (free) app and use the Enhance, FX Effects, Adjust and Tilt-Shift options to make your landscape scenery photos look more stylish/filtered if you are planning on posting them on Social Media.

Even mobile flagships can struggle taking in so much data with a small Lens but the Lumia 640 Camera is not designed to be a pro camera. You could always upgrade to the 640XL which has a better Zeiss 13MP camera.

neodk

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
I take a ton of pictures with a traditional point and shoot Nikon with 42X optical zoom. I know when I'm using a mobile device I'm not going to get the same user experience. But, when phones have adequate hardware (I would consider the 640 XL to be adequate) you can accomplish taking decent photos. Looking back at my 640 XL photos, they are more detailed. The contrast is better and I actually used the front-facing camera. While I felt the phone was a bit large for my liking, I'm finding myself missing it more and more.

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
View attachment 114740
i dont know if that is how it suppose to be, but when i zoom in.. the picture is realy in a bad resolution

In addition to what has already been said, the Lumia 640 has only 8MP - sufficient for taking decent photos of objects that take up a significant area of the photo, but we can't expect it to perform as well as a phone with a 41MP, 20MP or even a 13MP sensor. This is also the reason the Lumia 640 is limited to only 4x digital (not optical) zoom.

You could try to use post-process sharpening methods (as mentioned), but you won't be able to recover details beyond what the sensor can capture. If you really want to shoot "telelphoto", then you may want to consider buying one of those telephoto optical (in contrast to digital) zoom attachment lenses for mobile phones.

aybarrap1

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site
but my last phone (Samsung Ativ S) was 8MP too and the camera was better

Yes it was. It is also probably better optics and/ or sensor. Touting MP does not mean equal quality as there are many factors involved with photography such as lenses and optic sensors. I have a LG G3 with 13MP but an old point and shoot 8MP camera from 2007 that I own still takes photos with better detail (especially low light and fast movement) even though resolution is less. The dedicated sensors make the difference. Considering the price of the phone I really don't expect much on this area.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jallymonz