Lumia 830 disapointment, and why it will fail

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shobin Drogan

Apr 5, 2014
Visit site
Why are you comparing Moto G2 to this? The Moto G2 is a direct competitor of the Lumia 630, not Lumia 830.

If you want to compare Lumia 830 with Android alternatives, compare it with Nexus 5 and OnePlusOne because it is priced similarly.
Which it kills. The Moto G2 absolutely crushes the 630, it has 830 specs at HALF the price.
The nexus 5 is currently priced cheaper because of how old it is, and yet it has a FULL HD screen and a PROPER Snapdragon 800 processor.
One plus ones are rarer than unicorns thats a pointless phone to compare to.
Your comment makes no sense, people who are shopping for phones are going to compare the PRICE AND SPECS PERIOD. They are not going to see "OH the 830 is NOT a rival to the Moto G2." They are going to see "OH the 830 is so much more expensive than a Moto G2."
Who shops for phones and worries about what CLASS of phones they are getting. They just aren't.

Christian Holmstedt

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
I think the 830 should be seen like this :
For a NEW customer wanting to get on the WP wagon, the 830 offers good specs, features, and looks (yes I like the look).

Seen as a path forward or upgrade for existing customers.... eeerrr.. hm.... not so much. It doesn't really shine compared to the old 8xx and 9xx phones.
16Gb internal storage, SD card slot and removable battery is really (I think) what makes it a useable device.
No SD and low internal storage combined with fixed batteries are what really cripples a device (smart phone).

psoham777

Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
You are right though, as long as I get all the updates on my 1320, no way I'll change my phone. But those using 520, 620, 625 for a long time, it'll be a good upgrade for them, 730 or 830

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
i can do more on ios than i can on wp8.1.1 so "overhyped" is wrong, we can't reply to texts from any apps, we got overhyped because we finally got a notification center.

whenever wp gets a feature that helps catch up to ios or android we get "overhyped".

amd first we can't compare android and ios with wp8 based on apps cos wp is younger blah blah and now you're saying we shouldn't compare them based on specs. okay then might as well bring out a lumia 935 with the same specs are the 925 in a different body and call it a flagship.

well you missed my point
my point being if android L and ios 8 are supposedly major updates,i dont see anything worthy of being an update at all,you might as well slap a launcher onto older android versions and call it android L(which is what google did lol)
Lamborghini has two models right now- the aventador and the hurracan,both being upgrades over the murcielago and the gallardo respectively,but they share engines with the former, does that mean they are bad engines?does it make the lamborghini badge any lesser?does it make ferrari look better?
same situation with nokia/ms/wp and moto/google/android
android has a huuge load of issues like privacy,security,malware etc which is what people want fixed,ios icloud was proven to have gotten hacked into recently,wp hasnt even got a scent of such concerns,its extremely secured compared to android
so we can call android better once it has fixed such issues(which doesnt look like itll happen soon)
oh and theres fragmentation concerns as well in android,before you talk about the icon and other carrier phones,id like to point out,only USA/UK use that system,the rest of the world buys phones outright and all CV lumias have got updates,whereas most androids today are still on 2.3 or 4.0

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Which it kills. The Moto G2 absolutely crushes the 630, it has 830 specs at HALF the price.
The nexus 5 is currently priced cheaper because of how old it is, and yet it has a FULL HD screen and a PROPER Snapdragon 800 processor.
One plus ones are rarer than unicorns thats a pointless phone to compare to.
Your comment makes no sense, people who are shopping for phones are going to compare the PRICE AND SPECS PERIOD. They are not going to see "OH the 830 is NOT a rival to the Moto G2." They are going to see "OH the 830 is so much more expensive than a Moto G2."
Who shops for phones and worries about what CLASS of phones they are getting. They just aren't.

but they arent nokias and windows phones

Paul Kinslow

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
My experience so far with WP 8.1 DP U1 on a Lumia 810 gives the impression that WP will need the same high specs to run properly, just like Android. It flew before U1. Now it lags worse than my oldest, slowest Android. And the changes to IE are unbearable.

Christian Holmstedt

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
My experience so far with WP 8.1 DP U1 on a Lumia 810 gives the impression that WP will need the same high specs to run properly, just like Android. It flew before U1. Now it lags worse than my oldest, slowest Android. And the changes to IE are unbearable.

Different experience then. My 810 is better than ever with WP8.1 & GDR1.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site

In your case you are missing two sets of updated drivers for your device so I don't think we can take your situation as indicative of anything regarding speed or the lack thereof.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
It looks like everyone is done discussing the 830, since all sorts of other devices (and developer preview, instead of official 8.1) are being discussed.

Since all the points about the 830 have been made, both pros and cons, this thread is now closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oliveeAria