Lumia 920 or Lumia 830

omerfbingol

Mar 20, 2015
Visit site
I've been using Lumia 925 with WP8.1 and it doesn't get update 2, which I saw once while installing W10M preview and thought it was W10M...
I'm unfortunatelly aware of the limitations of WP8.1 and not being able to get GDR2, but it was never a dealbreaker for me. I wished my phone could have Sensor Core or support 'Hey Cortana' etc.. Now my phone is bricked and I'm thinking of getting a new one. I don't want to get an Android phone, can't afford iPhone and won't have the new Lumia 950 twins in my country for a solid 6 months.

What I love about Lumias is the Nokia's cornered design and quality materials, premium camera and perfect screen glass.

I am now in between a Lumia 920 (Red, around $200) and a Lumia 830 (Black, around $300).

I like 920's unibody design, micro USB port on the bottom, sexy Red body, and red headset that comes in the box, and of course, the price.

About the 830, I like its cornered shape, dark matte cover, replacable battery, 6th camera lens, Sensor Core, GDR2 and W10M upgradability and micro-SD card slot.

Now, my questions are;
-Does SensorCore work as in being an alternative for my Omron pedometer?
-Will WP8.1 Update 1 be limited? I now use a symbian Nokia 500 and having an abandoned OS is a nightmare. Will the important apps or the marketplace be abandoned after W10M's full release?
-Using Lumia 920 would be my way of jumping ship until a good Windows Phone comes out, but instead of getting on a competition OS, I will be using partially-orphaned WP8.1. So, do you think that having an upgradable 830 will be a nice move, or will it be like beta-testing for Microsoft even if I get W10M OTA?

Notes:
  • I don't mind 920's weight and thickness.
  • I used my 925 to a point where I would charge it 2-3 times a day. I suppose that the 920's battery life will be the same. Does 830 have any noticable advantage over the 920?
  • I live in Turkey, so I can legally only buy phones&computers paying upfront (no installments). Microsoft kind of abandoned Turkish market and no cell provider offers Lumias with contract. So the $100 price difference is a big deal.
  • I use my phone to listen to music, browse, and do some social networking.

I've read a lot of online comparison including Daniel Rubino's special article. I just want to hear from the users so I would get a perspective on the personal experience of it.

Last edited:

charlatan1978

Dec 23, 2013
Visit site
The Lumia 920 is now a pretty old phone, even though a flag ship when released.
If it's between the 830 and 920 then you would be better off with the newer 830.
Only in my opinion tho!

Last edited:

omerfbingol

Mar 20, 2015
Visit site
I did.
I've read a lot of online comparison including Daniel Rubino's special article.

I've got hung up on 920 because it looks somewhat cooler and I know the feeling from my old 925. Nice design makes up for specs shortcomings. Maybe I'm a little impressionable, that's why I asked for WC community's opinion.

Earlier today, I watched this and got excited, even though I think the yellow color looks hideous on 920.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRLEifZUGRg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster