Lumia 920 post-Windows Phone 8.1 battery life sucks!!!

Gino Guillermo

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Hi there.

Currently have a Lumia 920 with developer version of 8.1. During most of this weekend the phone has been at home idle with the occasional checking of Twitter, Instagram, news, weather, uploading of music, Google searches and 1 or Youtube videos so not much. It was fully charged at 6am and by 9pm its down to less than 10% all the while connected to wifi with mobile data roaming turned off.

I have pretty much studied and made my research on what to turn off on the settings as regards WP8.1 but i feel i'm still missing something. My theories are:

1. Windows Phone 8.1. isn't fully optimised and might have introduced a bug on particular models that drains battery quicker
2. Settings of 8.1 compared to the Lumia Black/8.0 has slightly been altered so some settings made have juggled around or have been embedded elswhere
3. Can't seem to find settings of Xbox Music which i heard when turned off can help with the battery life.
4. The battery of the used 920 i bought on Ebay might have been overused and the charge cycle is way past its life; the seller claims he bought it a few months ago.

Battery life seems worse than my Galaxy S3 LTE with the "old" Android 4.3 version.

Any help please?

Thanks.

Jaafarj

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
Hey, have a L620, battery life went down from giving over 2 days of life to just 6-8 hours (without use), the phone also stayed heated up.

Simple solution was a hard reset. I'm getting the same battery life as before now. Try doing that, might help.

Also close things like NFC, auto sync, location etc..though reset made the main difference.

Gino Guillermo

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
As i said i have turned off virtually almost everything i know: sync, bluetooth, NFC, GPS, 4G, etc.

What also bothers me is comparing the 920 with the 1020 with a slightly better specs but the same 2000mAh battery capacity the latter's battery life performed better than the former.

TaichiSurface

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
what Lumia 920 do you have? mine is UK unlocked. Mobile Operator:000-GB Manufacturer Name:RM0821-eu_euro1... So far no battery life problems. Also my Telus Lumia 620 have zero problem also 2 and without much usage it lasted me 2.5 days.

stkhalo07

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
I would try first doing a soft reset, then if that doesn't resolve it, a hard reset (obviously backing any data up accordingly).

There have been several users complaining of battery life issues since 8.1, many of which were resolved by doing the above.

Gino Guillermo

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
A soft reset i find is always the "default" advice for any issues like these. In my experience it DOESN'T WORK. Can someone explain to me why will it work this time?

As i said i have virtually done almost everything. Closed all tabs in IE11 (and all other browsers), Turned off sync, background apps & tasks all closed.

Its either thee Nokia navigation app is not fully optimised and/or the 8.1 dev version is draining the battery. Either way it's disappointing.

I can also second the guy that said his phone has become warm/hot when using. Mine is a fully-unlocked device. I'm on EE but i don't think that is relevant to this discussion IMO.

dsmpampis

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
My battery is also the same like on 8.0 black and I can say maybe a little bit better(maybe it's placebo). But definitely not worse...

Tapatalked with my Lumia 920

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
What have you done to try to improve your battery life?

I just turned off some background services. Mainly IE.

It hasn't really helped much, so I just end up charging often.

​I love the improvements of 8.1, so I'm not really all that upset. But the reduction in battery life has been pretty drastic.

jjmorgan64

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
My 920 updated with great battery life post 8.1
My 1020 had worse life, a hard reset fixed it, now both are the same if not better than on 8.0
It also knocked about 500 Mb out of my system storage usage.
Leads me to believe not everything was erased during the update and I had conflicting events going on in my phone

Helder Costa1

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
in my 920 in the first 2/3 days battery was not good at all. on the fourth day i charged the phone disconected or without puting the pin. and now i think its better than before... i'm ok now with my battery life with medium usage

Alienhead95

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
I could see similar battery life when I had the battery saver on all the time on my Lumia 1520. Any other changes have had no effect on the battery life.

angusdegraosta

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
Switching off "allow app to run in background" for IE and a few other apps in Battery Saver is a good idea. It's certainly been helping me.

Last edited:

Chris_Kez

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Sorry to hear you're having issues. I haven't noticed any appreciable difference in battery performance since updating to 8.1. Have you tried closely monitoring Usage from within the Battery Saver app? Otherwise, I'd vote for a hard reset. Make sure you've enabled backup for everything you possibly can. Keep in mind some apps will also allow you to backup their settings to OneDrive so make sure you've done that where possible. If you're using a podcast app, be sure to export your library information. Then wipe that baby clean.

If you really want to dig into this, I would actually suggest using the Nokia tools to restore your phone to a clean version of 8.0 first. Monitor battery usage for a day or two, and leave it fully charged on your desk overnight to see what happens. This should at least tell you whether the issue is with 8.1. If you're still getting crappy battery life and massive drainage then the problem may be the battery itself.

kristalsoldier

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
Sorry to hear you're having issues. I haven't noticed any appreciable difference in battery performance since updating to 8.1. Have you tried closely monitoring Usage from within the Battery Saver app? Otherwise, I'd vote for a hard reset. Make sure you've enabled backup for everything you possibly can. Keep in mind some apps will also allow you to backup their settings to OneDrive so make sure you've done that where possible. If you're using a podcast app, be sure to export your library information. Then wipe that baby clean.

If you really want to dig into this, I would actually suggest using the Nokia tools to restore your phone to a clean version of 8.0 first. Monitor battery usage for a day or two, and leave it fully charged on your desk overnight to see what happens. This should at least tell you whether the issue is with 8.1. If you're still getting crappy battery life and massive drainage then the problem may be the battery itself.

Question: But won't saving the settings on OneDrive, then resetting and then getting the old settings back only replicate the problem (if any)?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alec sander