Lumia 930 Windows 10 Mobile microphone issue

WPUser2

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
hi. ever since I installed windows 10 mobile (any version) onto my 930, I've been having an issue with the mic. i'm on the latest 'release' build 10586.218, and the problem still exists.

so here goes...

during calls, when the earpiece is being used, there's no problem with the mic. people can understand me no problem. when I put the phone on speaker, it's also fine. this is with the phone app. however, when I use the skype app, using the earpiece, people can hear me, but when I videocall, and the main phone speaker is used, people cannot hear me anymore.

also, when I use the voice recorder to record something, the sound is very very very low. there seems to be a lot of interference, when I play the recording back. it sounds like tuning a radio. however, recordings can be heard slightly when turning the volume to 30 and putting the speaker to your ear. this is weird.

the same issue happens when taking a video. no (or very very little) sound gets recorded. it's really quiet.

however, I was on the train the other day and I thought i'd test out to see if they'd fixed this mic issue in .218, so I recorded a video of the train when leaving the platform. I use diesel trains, and I was sat right above the engine, so it was quite loud. and the phone video seems to have picked everything up as normal, you can even hear people talking. it seemed to be ok. however, the video is like 10 mins long or something.

so the next day I tried it again, but for a short time, like 30 seconds or something. and the problem was apparent again. i'm sure it's a software issue. is anyone having this issue, and if yes, do you know how to fix it?

i'm considering reverting to 8.1 just to see if it's a hardware issue or not, then updating back to win 10

thanks in advance

eusty

Jun 1, 2014
Visit site
It's a known hardware issue, the only fix is a repair. If you search the forums there are LOADS of posts on this :cry:

QuadraFX

Feb 11, 2013
Visit site
hi. ever since I installed windows 10 mobile (any version) onto my 930, I've been having an issue with the mic. i'm on the latest 'release' build 10586.218, and the problem still exists.

so here goes...

during calls, when the earpiece is being used, there's no problem with the mic. people can understand me no problem. when I put the phone on speaker, it's also fine. this is with the phone app. however, when I use the skype app, using the earpiece, people can hear me, but when I videocall, and the main phone speaker is used, people cannot hear me anymore.

also, when I use the voice recorder to record something, the sound is very very very low. there seems to be a lot of interference, when I play the recording back. it sounds like tuning a radio. however, recordings can be heard slightly when turning the volume to 30 and putting the speaker to your ear. this is weird.

the same issue happens when taking a video. no (or very very little) sound gets recorded. it's really quiet.

however, I was on the train the other day and I thought i'd test out to see if they'd fixed this mic issue in .218, so I recorded a video of the train when leaving the platform. I use diesel trains, and I was sat right above the engine, so it was quite loud. and the phone video seems to have picked everything up as normal, you can even hear people talking. it seemed to be ok. however, the video is like 10 mins long or something.

so the next day I tried it again, but for a short time, like 30 seconds or something. and the problem was apparent again. i'm sure it's a software issue. is anyone having this issue, and if yes, do you know how to fix it?

i'm considering reverting to 8.1 just to see if it's a hardware issue or not, then updating back to win 10

thanks in advance

The recorded audio might sound as normal, but it is not, if you pay enough attention with headphones on. You can spot the difference between left and right channel. It is subtle, but noticeable.
Don't waste your time on rolling back and forward, have your phone repaired. This is typical problem.

Or even better, use the test application and you'll be 100% sure.

WPUser2

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
hi, thanks for the reply. As far as I know, it shouldn't be a hardware issue, meaning, the mic is still working fine. I didn't roll back, and am not planning to either. I've found a solution. I downloaded Lumia camera classic, and the video audio works a treat, just like 8.1. i'm satisfied for now

Impenneteri

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
When I was in WP 8.1 I had no audio when doing recording videos vertically. Now I have upgraded to official Windows 10. At first I still had the same issue when I was with 8.1

After upgrading to Windows 10 I downloaded the 1st update and did a hard reset. To my surprise I now have sound when recording video vertically and also horizontally using the default camera app. I tried audio recording, I can hear it but it's too low.

QuadraFX

Feb 11, 2013
Visit site
When I was in WP 8.1 I had no audio when doing recording videos vertically. Now I have upgraded to official Windows 10. At first I still had the same issue when I was with 8.1

After upgrading to Windows 10 I downloaded the 1st update and did a hard reset. To my surprise I now have sound when recording video vertically and also horizontally using the default camera app. I tried audio recording, I can hear it but it's too low.

So I think your hardware needs to be repaired.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss