Lumia 950 XL & 950 XL Dual SIM Specs + Features. Questions Welcome.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft-Lumia-950-XL-1.jpg

Lumia 950 XL Specifications:

• Single SIM and Dual SIM[SUP]1[/SUP] configurations available (market dependent)
  • GSM technology
  • GSM network: 850 MHz, 900 MHz, 1800 MHz, 1900 MHz
  • WCDMA network: Band 1 (2100 MHz), Band 2 (1900 MHz), Band 4 (1700/2100 MHz), Band 5 (850 MHz), Band 8 (900 MHz)
  • LTE FDD network: Band 1 (2100 MHz), Band 2 (1900 MHz), Band 3 (1800 MHz), Band 4 (1700/2100 MHz), Band 5 (850MHz), Band 7 (2600 MHz), Band 8 (900MHz), Band 12 (700 MHz), Band 17 (700MHz), Band 20 (800MHz), Band 28 (700 MHz)
    TD-LTE network: Band 38 (2570-2620 MHz), Band 40 (2300-2400 MHz)
Software Release: Windows 10

• 151.9 x 78.4 x 8.1 mm (5.98 x 3.09 x 0.32 in)
  • 165 g (5.82 oz)
  • Nano-SIM
  • AMOLED capacitive touchscreen, 16M colors
  • 5.7 inches (~74.3% screen-to-body ratio)
  • WQHD 2560 x 1440 (~518 ppi pixel density)
  • ClearBlack
  • Orientation sensor, Sunlight readability enhancements, Easy to clean, High brightness mode, Lumia Color profile, Wide viewing angle, Corning Gorilla Glass 4, Automatic brightness control, Super sensitive touch

• Qualcomm MSM8994 Snapdragon 810
  • Quad-core 1.5 GHz Cortex-A53 & Quad-core 2 GHz Cortex-A57
  • Adreno 430
  • 32 GB internal memory
  • 3 GB RAM
  • microSD slot up to 200 GB[SUP]2[/SUP]

• [SUP]​[/SUP]Sensors: Ambient light sensor, Accelerometer, Proximity sensor, Barometer, Gyroscope, Magnetometer, SensorCore
  • AV connectors: 3.5 mm stereo headset connector, DisplayPort over USB-C
  • Charging and System connectors: USB-C
  • USB v3.1, Type-C reversible connector
  • USB Dual Role
  • Bluetooth v4.1, A2DP
  • GPS with A-GPS, GLONASS, BDS
  • Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, dual-band, hotspot
  • FM radio[SUP]3, 4[/SUP]
  • NFC: Pairing, Secure NFC for payment, Sharing, Tagging

• Battery capacity: 3340 mAh (replaceable)
  • Built-in Qiwireless charging, Fast charging
  • Maximum standby time: 12 days
  • Maximum talk time (2G): 25 h, (3G): 19 h
  • Maximum music playback time: 75 h
  • Maximum Wi-Fi network browsing time: 11 h
  • Maximum video playback time: 11 h

• User Input: Touch
  • Operating keys: Volume keys, Camera key, Power/Lock key
  • Exchangeable back cover
  • Other user interface features: Glance screen, Tactile feedback, Voice commands, Voice dictation in edit fields

• Main camera: 20.0 MP, Auto focus with two-stage capture key, Digital Zoom, 6 Lens Optics, Optical Image Stabilization
  • Sensor size: 1/2.4 inch, Oversampling
  • f-number/aperture: f/1.9
  • Camera focal length: 26 mm
  • Flash type: Triple LED, Natural flash
  • Camera minimum focus range: 10 cm
  • Camera features: Backside-illuminated image sensor, PureView, True 16:9 sensor, Fast Focus, High resolution zoom

• Front camera: Full HD 5 MP wide angle
  • Front camera f-number/aperture: f/2.4
  • Front camera features: Still image capture, Video call, Video recording
  • Front camera video resolution: 1080p (Full HD, 1920 x 1080)

• Main Camera video frame rate: 30 fps[SUP]5[/SUP]
  • Video recording features: Video zoom, Optical image stabilization, Continuous autofocus, Video light, Lumia Rich Recording with four microphones
  • Video recording formats: MP4/H.264

[SUP]
1. Max data speed on Single SIM is LTE Cat6 300mbps download, 50mbps upload. Max data speed on Dual SIM is LTE Cat4 150mbps download, 50mbps upload.
2. microSD capacity of 200GB is maximum card size at time of documentation publishing. The microSD reader is future proofed to 2TB capacity.
3. FM radio requires a wired headset be plugged into the headphone jack. The wires in the headset are used for an antenna. Without a headset plugged in the FM radio App will not function.
4. AT&T 950 users are reporting no FM radio on the AT&T branded variant. User tangledW reports that the hardware is present and requires a 3rd party App be download from the store. Look for a firmware correction in future(?).
5. Higher frame rates planned to deliver Slow Motion Video capability in upcoming firmware advances.[/SUP]

Last edited:

anon5266280

Nov 25, 2015
Visit site
Quick question.

I just received a DUAL-SIM model instead of the SINGLE-SIM model. The previous data that was posted says SINGLE-SIM is faster in both directions data wise. Is that if both SIM cards are installed in a 2 SIM model or even if only 1 one SIM is installed in a 2 SIM model the download speed will allway be slower than the one 1 SIM model?

I ask because if that is the case then I won't crack the box open from the 950 XL pre-order that just arrived and either send it back or resell it and wait for the single SIM model.

anon5266280

Nov 25, 2015
Visit site
Just went back to the Microsoft store and compared the specs.

It looks like both the ( 950 ) and ( 950 XL ) UNLOCKED units specs state "Connectivity Dual Nano SIM" where the ATT ( 950 ) specs state "Connectivity Nano SIM" so only the ATT unit is a SINGLE-SIM unit and the ATT unit is probably locked.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Bruce,

All the spec I've looked at gives the same upload speed of 50mbps no matter if Single or Dual SIM. The download is halved on the Dual SIM at 150mbps compared to the Single SIM getting 300mbps.

However, these are theoretical speeds. Have you ever seen your carrier provide faster than 150mbps download? A super car can go still only go as fast as the roadway allows for.

Yes. An AT&T branded phone will be carrier locked, but can also be unlocked easily if you do not activate it onto AT&T or turn it on with an AT&T SIM inserted.

Pnk4God

Nov 28, 2015
Visit site
Note that the dual sim will cause VVM (visual voicemail) to not work. That is the word about VVM not working on the 950 XL, whereas it does on the 950.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Note that the dual sim will cause VVM (visual voicemail) to not work. That is the word about VVM not working on the 950 XL, whereas it does on the 950.

I'm keeping my eyes on that issue and doing research... Also VoLTE or HD Voice. It may be carrier side AT&T permissions in both cases.

It is looking to be separate from the device.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Does anybody know if the 950 XL will work on the Wind Mobile network in Canada?

Uh, yup.

Wind Canada has concentrated its spectrum leasing in the UMTS with H+ service on the Band 4 frequencies known as AWS. 1700 MHz up and 2100 MHz down.

950 XL fits the bill perfectly.

William Sanderson

Jul 13, 2015
Visit site
I'm keeping my eyes on that issue and doing research... Also VoLTE or HD Voice. It may be carrier side AT&T permissions in both cases.

It is looking to be separate from the device.
You know, I have been so busy with family and work I have not tried to use visual voicemail on my unlocked 950. I'll give it a try today sometime and report back. It is a dual sim phone. We'll see, if its carrier based for the unlocked version on TMobile.

InsGadget

Oct 29, 2015
Visit site

[SUP]
3. FM radio requires a wired headset be plugged into the headphone jack. The wires in the headset are used for an antenna. Without a headset plugged in the FM radio App will not function.
4. AT&T 950 users are reporting no FM radio on the AT&T branded variant. User tangledW reports that the hardware is present and requires a 3rd party App be download from the store. Look for a firmware correction in future(?).
[/SUP]
AT&T 950 owner here, can someone with a 950XL confirm that FM Radio comes out of the box with the XL, and does the "switch to speaker" option work as expected? I can get the 1st party FM radio app working using the aforementioned tangledW trick (which is great), but the speaker mode just gives static.

WorCo

Apr 1, 2015
Visit site
One question from me:
will I be able to use both SIM Cards and is there still a seperate microSD slot then? Or is one SIM Slot double functioning as a micro SD slot as well?

Thanks and regards,

Martin

Skippy07

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
One question from me:
will I be able to use both SIM Cards and is there still a seperate microSD slot then? Or is one SIM Slot double functioning as a micro SD slot as well?

Thanks and regards,

Martin

There's a SIM1, SIM2, and Micro SD slot.So you could use two sims and a micros sd card all at the same time.

-Skippy

TechADD

Oct 26, 2015
Visit site
I have an issue with using two sim cards. no matter which sim I set for data the other sim is limited to 2g service. I don't have 2g service where I live with the carrier I use and because there isn't 2g service I cannot turn on smart sim. Is there any other way I can fix this without using a 2nd phone?

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I have an issue with using two sim cards. no matter which sim I set for data the other sim is limited to 2g service. I don't have 2g service where I live with the carrier I use and because there isn't 2g service I cannot turn on smart sim. Is there any other way I can fix this without using a 2nd phone?

Only one SIM at a time can use H+ and LTE.

If your second SIM carrier does not offer GSM (2G) service, I'm afraid there is No choice but to run that one as H+/LTE and the other SIM as 2G until you need data on it.

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
My question: has MS ever commented on the lack of visual voicemail on the dual sim 950XL, or dual sim WP phones in general? If not, can Windows Central do a story on this to prod them into action? It's such an odd omission on a premium device.

Edit: I just read that there is at least an explicit statement of the lack of VVM on dual SIM Win10 handsets, see here. I would still very much like a Windows Central expose on why this is the case!

Last edited:

Jaime Salas

Dec 15, 2015
Visit site
I got a question, and its only because I am new to WP10 and lumia phones user all together. Can someone explain to me why the XL comes with two SIM Slots and what is the purpose for two?

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I got a question, and its only because I am new to WP10 and lumia phones user all together. Can someone explain to me why the XL comes with two SIM Slots and what is the purpose for two?

There are a few use scenarios for Dual SIM. BTW this is not unique to Windows Phone or Windows 10 Mobile in any way... Outside of the US Dual SIM is quite common on many handsets from multiple OEMs on every platform.

Domestic and travel.
Business and personal.
Voice and data.

Jaime Salas

Dec 15, 2015
Visit site
So both sim slots are not used at the same time? You activate one of them at a time depending on your usage? I.e Domestic vs. Traveling?
So why two different SIM for Voice and Data?

I'm sorry for twenty questions, just interested and want to make sure I get the best usage and experience out of my new BADASS phone. :)

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
So both sim slots are not used at the same time? You activate one of them at a time depending on your usage? I.e Domestic vs. Traveling?
So why two different SIM for Voice and Data?

I'm sorry for twenty questions, just interested and want to make sure I get the best usage and experience out of my new BADASS phone. :)

Say I live in the US and travel regularly to... India to pick a country at random. Maybe my business has me going there several times a year. Easier to keep a SIM in slot 2 that I can refill when I'm in-country rather than shuffle SIMs all the time. Imagine US/Canada or US/Mexico or any Euro combinations. In that case you simply select the SIM you want to call/SMS from when you initiate the conversation. I can select data to use the travel SIM and avoid any overages from my domestic carrier.

Why a separate SIM for Voice and Data? In many parts of the world this is how consumers live.

Here in the US I was seriously considering H20 for voice and text on SIM 1. I don't really talk/text a lot and they have a $10 and a $20 plan that lasts 90 days... @ $0.05 a minute or text I could get 200 minutes or 200 texts for $10. That would probably last me 90 days. My voice plan would then be about $3.35 + tax a month. I could refill it anytime I needed to. https://www.h2owirelessnow.com/mainControl.php?page=planMin

On SIM 2 I would have put a T-Mo data only SIM into action. It is unlimited data with a high-speed cap. For $20 a month you can get 2GB high speed before they throttle you to EDGE. Doesn't sound like much, but it could very well meet my needs. I'm already practicing using WiFi more. In addition to the 2GB, they give you 10GB in your data stash (or did at the time I was contemplating this). This is high speed (H+ or LTE) data held in reserve for 12 months before it expires. Any month you use less than 2GB the remainder goes in your data stash. Doesn't seem too hard to build a reserve for when you need it. You also get some music and video streaming services that do not count toward your high speed use even when streamed at LTE speeds. Mobile Broadband Unlimited Data Plans w/ No Annual Contract | T-Mobile I could also swap that SIM between my phone and my LTE enabled tablet.

$23.35 a month is pretty cheap for a phone plan, yes? By shopping voice and data separately consumers can save money every month. Again, in most of the world this is the norm. US consumers generally are not taking advantage of this idea.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss