Lumia Icon continuously fails Win 10 install

dunker2390

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Alright, I have backup Icon that I just decided to try windows 10 insider on due to the stability of the latest builds. I have previously installed a L920 with windows 10 with no issues whatsoever. The Icon on the other hand is a nightmare for some reason.

I have tried going from 8.1 fully updated to Build 10581. It downloads the update just fine but at the install(gears spinning), the phone will usually get to 50% or more and then go into a continuous restart loop. This goes on until it thinks it has low battery which I know it does not due to starting with 80+% before going into the first restart.(This also is one of the biggest oversights I have seen on Windows Phone. If a phone gets stuck at install with low battery it turns into an infinite loop unless you hard reset the phone. They should be able to charge the phone without turning the whole OS on)

The only way to fix the infinite loop is to use the recovery tool and the Icon goes back to 8.1 just fine then. I have then tried installing 10166 which is the current Slow Ring update as I thought maybe 581 had a bug in it which is causing the problem. On 10166 install the same exact thing happens. Infinite restart loop. It does get further into the install but the phone gets really warm same as 581 and restarts over and over.

Sorry for the long explanation but I have tried pretty much everything with this phone. The only thing left would be to Flash the Win 10 ROM directly. Does anybody know if that is possible or if there is a ROM out there I can download?

Also does anyone have any ideas or similar problems with an Icon or Lumia in general when going to 10?

pdch

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
I had no problem installing 581 (or any build ao far) on my icon. I would suggest making sure you have plenty of free space and have it connected to a charger.

dunker2390

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I have done both in terms of tried to update with it plugged in and charging, and also tried it unplugged. Same outcome. As for space, I have hard reset this phone multiple times so there is absolutely nothing on the phone. 20+ GB's free before install.

This is just really odd since I can't figure out what is holding it from updating..

pdch

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
Maybe leave it plugged in and let it loop for a while. I remember mine rebooted several timed during initial load, but it wasn't on an infinite loop. Make sure you are doing fast ring and start from a clean 8.1 install. Fully update 8.1 before running insider updates, but don't load your backup until after you are on 10581. Hope this helps (if you haven't tried yet)

dunker2390

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Just tried it(again as I have been trying to figure this out for the past two days). Does the exact same thing. Goes to about 60% complete when spinning gears. Restarts, and goes into a continuous restart loop. Doesn't even go to the spinning gears again. Really frustrating haha..